Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

SCI/TECH: New Blue Ring On Jupiter Puzzles Astronomers

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Something interesting is happening on the planet Jupiter, and astronomers are not yet sure what it could mean. About two weeks ago, a Spanish amateur astronomer noticed a large blue streak in the southern hemisphere of the planet. The blue streak, which is 3-4 times the diameter of the earth, has now stretched around the planet forming a blue ring.

abc.net
An Amazing Disturbance In Jupiter's Clouds.....

It is a very elongated, bluish streak that runs along the interface of the dark South Equatorial Belt.

The first hint that that something unusual was taking place in the cloudy Jovian atmosphere came from Spanish amateur when he reported that a small, bicolored feature was formingt in the Southern Hemisphere a little over2 weeks ago. NOW, this disturbance has stretched, what looks like, right around the planet!

At the moment it's too early to be sure of the nature of this disturbance or its potential evolution. The wide band shown on the photograph could, quite easily measure, 3-4 times the diameter of the Earth!

Although Jupiter has, in the past, produced some unusual upper cloud features, nothing like this has ever been seen before!

This is still breaking news. Currently scientists are still waiting and watching to see what becomes of this new formation on Jupiter. Astronomer David Reneke, consulting editor of Sky and Space Magazine says that it will probably be on the front cover of their next magazine release in about two weeks. He speculates that it could be a volcano or another disturbance on Jupiter causing a change in the clouds, but no one really knows what it is at this time.

Real Audio:
Astronomer David Reneke discusses Jupiters blue ring.

ATS Discussion:
A DISTURBANCE IN JUPITER'S CLOUDS

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ok people heres the deal..
Jupiters all messed up and such
the scientist dude said that it could be caused by valcanoes or something of the like.

IMPOSSIBLE

Jupiter is a gas giant

ITS NOT SOLID!

whered they get that Idea??/

CATFISH

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Joviality... volcanoes... a hahaha ha... a scientist actually said that?!? Perhaps it is liquid hydrogen outgassing, though vulcanism seems unlikely. However, the material is thought to exist in a metallic state, maybe that's why a volcano is implicated.

Does anyone remember the "dark spot" that appeared on the planet not long ago? Could there be a causal relationship? As I recall, the spot appeared at approximately the same latitude as the bluish banding. If anyone is aware of such a correlation, please post to that effect.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hes an editor for the Sky and Space magazine. He also mentions in the same interview that it is now generally accepted that Jupiter has a rocky core.

www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu...

Although there is of course much argument on the specifics of the internal composition of the core itself. He is just proposing his personal theory, not saying 'this is why'.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
As to the dark spot, it was observed last October and does appear consistent with the latitude of the band.

www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Valcanoes need magma and stuff. youd think a qualified scientist would know this

CATFISH

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
No, it is not theorised that Jupiter is completely gaseous. You'd think someone challenging a "qualified scientist" would check this

Its called a 'Gas Giant', but this does not mean it is made entirely of Gas, it has a lot of atmosphere sure, but it also has a huge layer of metallic hydrogen, and a rocky core larger than the earth by a factor of 1.5 or more.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well thats interesting.

I geuss a "qualified scientist" WOULD check that....

thanks for the update

Catfish

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I remember when comet Schumacher crashed into Jupiter... It broke into several pieces before hitting Jupiter. When it crashed, it created several black spots. The same thing could have happened again. Depending on the composition of the comet, it could have created the blue color band.

It was only by chance that someone disovered the Schumacher-Levi comet before it slammed into Jupiter. This might be a new one that we missed.

I'm not too sure about volcanism on Jupiter... The pressure down at the solid core, which is the only place where volcanism could occur, is so high that I have doubts that the gas would go up as high as the upper layers of gas. It would need to be a hell of an explosion too.. That's a pretty big black spot.

dee

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
www.enterprisemission.com...

On the Enterprise Mission there is an article about NASA nuking Jupitur. Is it a coincidence that we have this never before occurance after the nuke incedent? I am not a scientist but this just seems like a bit more than a coincidence. If there was a runaway nuclear reaction on Jupitur what do you suppose the results could be? COuld it ignite? Please forgive my ignorance, but I would like some follow up.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
that gas around Jupiter call me nuts but this is just an idea (i dont beleive this its just an idea), it sure could be a good way to keep prying eyes out, thing we cant even send anything down onto it yet, but its bigger than Earth by 1.5????

Also how do you know it was a Nuke they sent it might of been some sort of new weapon nuke or better?

[Edited on 13-3-2004 by blobby]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Our science at best says their might be solid hydrogen on the core of it, i have trouble fathamony that but it is entirely possible.

If there is something going on in there because we nuked it(possibly, no way to prove) with out plutonium pellets it should be a lesson for us to be careful with our trash because it might be toxic.

If by some unimagineable miracle there is inteeligent life on Jupiter and they are angry at us nuking them they should have kept tabs on what NASA was doing with the space program and prevented them fromt doing anything beyond stupid.

top topics

join