It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your reason to survive??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just something I was thinking of ..sorry if this question has been posed before!

I have always had this survival thing..ever since being a kid...something that always been there..and from an early age,most hobbies,jobs I have done have always had some survival aspect to them...never really understood how life and things have panned out intill a few years ago..just seems you I was meant to learn certain skills..

Now older ( maybe a bit wiser ..maybe not lol ) but all my life seems to have had a survival bent!! if you understand what I mean!

So I hope that the people I may bump into are there for the same reasons I am,,,to give what survives ...a chance!!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Well my main reason to survive is so I don't die. Death is the one major thing that all survivalists have in common and are trying to avoid...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ok this web site is really confused. I tried to answer your question, but had to just about write my whole life story just to say two words. My kids.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

There you are ..your kids...thats the most important reason..the kids that may survive...someone there to tell them of our mistakes...teach them ...there has to be someone there..to teach!! a right way to be a decent human being...you if you survive would witness the biggest mastakes!!..that must be passsed on!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Living for your children wont keep you alive for ever. Eventually your children take care of themselves and no longer require your help. If you do not find purpose after your children, like say they take too long to have your grandchildren getting there careers going, or they move away where you cannot follow, you will still need to find purpose. I dont know why, at least not enough to explain to others what i imagine, but i supose even statisticly you might find some proof from how soon people take to illnesses after retirement.

I wont know what it will be like for some time, maybe some of our more experienced posters can shed some light on what it takes to keep going after children.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Well my youngest is 7 and i have a feeling she will not have the chance to grow up before TSHTF.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

The biggest mistake of humanity can never be fixed. It's genetic. It's been bred into us to make war since the beginning of civilization. Killing is in our nature, having a concience is not!

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shuck
Just something I was thinking of ..sorry if this question has been posed before!

I have always had this survival thing..ever since being a kid...something that always been there..and from an early age,most hobbies,jobs I have done have always had some survival aspect to them...never really understood how life and things have panned out intill a few years ago..just seems you I was meant to learn certain skills..

Now older ( maybe a bit wiser ..maybe not lol ) but all my life seems to have had a survival bent!! if you understand what I mean!

So I hope that the people I may bump into are there for the same reasons I am,,,to give what survives ...a chance!!

My reason to survive is to try to pass the truth of what happened on to
those who live after Situ-X.

I want them to know why it all fell apart in hopes they can prevent it
in the future, but to be honest history repeats itself, and most humans
concern themselves with frivolity like the latest hollywood gossip.

I also will be carrying with me All of Wikipedia, and all the wiki books
I believed will help to rebuild the world after a nuclear disaster.

I carry one copy, and hid several copies, it will get out one way or
the other no matter what at this point.

I have no family, but have great compassion for those who do
and will do what I can to help without putting my life at risk.

I am walking out with thousands of seeds, and have hiddem a similar
amount in various places.

The doomsday global seed vault in Svalsbard gave me that idea.

Good Luck to All !

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I try to think of a reason that will keep me clinging to this thing we call life in such an event, but I cannot, is that wrong? I just hope I die quick, and do not have to suffer - thats all I ask for.

Now, I do pray for my family and friends, but most likely one would have to leave them all in order to even attempt survival. The cities would be infested with murder, theft, rape, and crime unimaginable, so you would have to get away from society to even stand a chance. I could not see leaving my family and friends to die, just so I can be the lone survivor.. would it really be considered living then? or waiting to die?

In the event that the situation is not a global killer, and those who do fight to survive eventually come out on top, it all depends on what I would have to do to be one of the last. Would I kill my fellow man over a loaf a bread only to further live in a horrible existance anyway? Never. I could not justify throwing my morals out the window just to survive a few days longer.

I would much rather die an honest man then to live as scum.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Morals are a figment of societies imagination. I would do anything and everything to protect my kids and family.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by shuck

The biggest reason is just to live. Its what we and all living things do.
Living is a known and people generally fear the unknown.

You ever notice that there are more reasons to live then there is to die. Most of the old timers on the ATS survival forums know me and my love for my family . We have children for one reason only. To live. It may not be us personally that lives but our genes live on. As I stated living is what we do. I will fight til my last breath so my family and I can live. Its what I do.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by deadline527

Morals are a figment of societies imagination. I would do anything and everything to protect my kids and family.

Most people would, and I think the whole nature of having kids totally changes someones response to such a question. Without children, I myself would rather die quietly and with a good heart. With children, I would do whatever it takes to allow them to live the best life possible.

Sadly, I would do the things that I never would otherwise consider, so my children dont have to, in order to keep them healthy and as well as possible.

While many parents feel this way, it is also going to contribute to the world being a place of murder, theft, assault, and other atrocities because each person will think they are doing the "right thing" for their children. When you have millions of people with this mentality, I would not want to live in such a place. That would be the closest depiction of Hell on earth.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Living isnt the most important thing to me. I have no children. Yet the desire to win drives me the most. When society is gone, chaos ensues, and death is everywhere, to know that I took on the responsibility to prepare will keep me going. To know that the masses, the governments, whatever, were unable to take my freedom and my life is all the incentive I will ever need to continue on.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to survive a massive cataclysmic event. If the world is miserable and full of chaos and suffering, I'd much rather be dead.
In fact, I've always admired those who choose to end their lives once they realize they're not enjoyable enough to continue.

I think my breaking point would be if I ever got old enough that I'd need to go to prostate exams and pop ED pills. I think that's a message from your body to your mind that you don't have any business sticking around anymore. And if that's not enough to do me in, can someone please kill me as soon as the Alzheimers kicks in?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is going to sound awfully self-serving..... I don't mean it so.

I want to survive, so I can help. I have skills developed throughout my life, as does my Bride (we were both SAR first-responders, as well as survivalists). I want to be able to teach, to help, to further the reformation of favorable life-enhancing systems. We have no children, but it's for the childen and the future that I would stake our lives.

No, I don't WANT it to happen, so I can use my skills. That grates under my skin when people say such things, and I often wonder if it's a way for a person who doesn't choose to prepare to not feel afraid. When 2013 arrives without disaster, I will rejoice, and when I am at the end of my days and humanity still thrives, albeit hopefully with more tools and sensibilities to positively evolve as a species, I will die happy.

top topics

join