It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Musicians Or Bands Do You Think The World Should Know More Of?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I was thinking the other day that this would be an interesting topic to make a thread about. I don't know if anyone's made a thread about it before though?

Anyway, there are a lot of good bands and musicians out there that people haven't heard of that make good music, who should probably get more exposure than they do. But you know, they're not mainstream or whatever, so sometimes you can miss out on great music.

Well the musicians or bands you think the world should know more of, they can be musicians that are quite well known, who just aren't mainstream. Or musicians you think the world should be listening and talking more about, that make a difference. Or just musicians you like and you think they're the best thing since sliced bread and everyone should own their albums

The bands I think people should get to know more of?

Nightwish (Finland) - Symphonice Metal/Power Metal
Faithless (England) - House/Trance/Trip Hop
Evermore (New Zealand) - Alternative Rock/Indie Rock
Sarah McLachlan (Canada) - Piano Pop
The Carpenters (USA) - Adult Contemporary
Small Mercies (Australia) - Pop Rock/Alternative Rock
Plumb (USA) - Contemporary Christian Music/Alternative Rock
Dido (England) - Pop/Pop Rock/Alternative
Guy Sebastian (Australia) - Pop/Soul/Ballad/Rock
Thirsty Merc (Australia) - Pop Rock/Rock
Missy Higgins (Australia) - Pop/Indie/Folk/Acoustic
A-ha (Norway) - Synthpop/New Wave

Sorry my list is a bit big

So who do YOU think the world should hear and get to know more of?

Edit: added links

[edit on 6/7/2008 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well... music is very subjective isn't it

It's obvious that there is some types of music that I don't care for at all, but hopefully we can keep that to ourselves and like you say just post what we like and might think others (in general) could enjoy

- Alphabeat (Denmark), they are hitting bigtime with this in the UK. My best friends play in this band, they've made it in Europe, so next step is world domination

- Sigur Rós (Iceland), you know this number from the tv-show "Planet Earth".

- Familjen (Sweden), awesome video for this song.

- Petter & the pix (Sweden), interesting mellow jazzy style

- Spleen United (Denmark), video from the 2nd album. Got a nice upbeat "big city" electronic feel to them. Their first album was a bit darker in attitude.

- Arctic Monkeys (UK), britain when its best. One of the first bands to have a huge fan crowd on the internet before they got signed.

This last one I kinda found by chance while hanging out in a record store in Camden, London. Twisted dark music project from the 70s. I wouldn't wanna listen to this when on shrooms x)
- Nurse With Wound (America)

[edit on 6/7/08 by flice]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

Hey, yeah I've heard of the Arctic Monkeys before, I think they're pretty cool

The others I haven't heard before, but I'll definitely check them out especially the band your friends are in! One of my best friends' boyfriend has a band, they're not really well known outside of Adelaide, but they're pretty good

Myspace - The Steady Ons

My Uncle's in a band too, I can't remember what they're called though

But I like hearing what other people like to listen to, because more often than not, I find new music that I've never heard before and that I start to like

Like the band Korpiklaani, I hadn't heard of them before until just recently when a friend mentioned them to me. Now they're probably one of my favourite bands.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Here's some more if anyone's interested

Savage Garden (Australia) - Pop/Soft Rock

Eskimo Joe (Australia) - Alternative Rock

John Butler Trio (Australia) - Bluegrass/Psychadelic Rock

Hayley Westenra (New Zealand) - Classical/Pop/Celtic

Brooke Fraser (New Zealand) - Pop/Alternative/Folk Rock

Delta Goodrem (Australia) - Pop/Ballad/Piano Pop

Relient K (USA) - Christian Rock/Alternative Rock

Moya Brennan (Ireland) - Celtic/Folk/New Age

Falling Up (USA) - Christian Rock/Passion Rock/Nu Metal

Pete Murray (Australia) - Rock/Acoustic

Sarah Blasko (Australia) - Indie Rock/Indie Pop

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

- Alphabeat (Denmark), they are hitting bigtime with this in the UK. My best friends play in this band, they've made it in Europe, so next step is world domination

I watched the music video, and by the looks of it, world domination would be the next step lol. That song was pretty cool!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

The mars volta!!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
can yall please post the movies within the screen please, if your gonna post savage garden you have to post to the moon and back. alhpabeat wasnt bad. i'm not gonna say i was totally into it. but it was cool i guess.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Maybach Hanson]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I saw Sigur Rós in concert in Chicago. They do a really good show.

I think the french band "Justice" should get more attention. And because im a wuss, "Imogen Heap" or her early "Frou Frou" stuff.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
MUSE MUSE MUSE!!!

Ok i know they're internationally renowned rock megastars but EVERYONE SHOULD LOVE THEM!! Loll..

Besides that "Flight of the Conchords" - just hilarious. And sooooo talented..

Um.. people should listen to more of "World" music - whether it's just instrumental music from another country or songs in different languages sung by pop stars from a foreign country loll.. i love "getting cultured" like that xD

I'll also recommend The Shins, Port O'Brien, Bon Iver, Angus and Julia Stone, Santogold, The Tin Tins, The Sleepy Jackson, Ben Lee, Pnau, Operator Please, Jason Mraz, MGMT, Eskimo Joe, Sneaky Sound System, Jamie Kennedy and Stu Stone, The Kooks, Powderfinger, The Presets, Jack Johnson, Old Man River, The Dead Kennedys, The Vines, The Hives, Thirsty Merc, John Butler Trio, N.E.R.D, Josh Pyke, Gotye, Maximo Park, Daft Punk and even though they're popular already The Arctic Monkeys, AC/DC, Amy Winehouse, The Libertines, The Kings of Leon, the Red hot Chili Peppers, The Rolling Stones, Silverchair, Supergrass, Wolfmother and The Beastie Boys xD
(LOLL you asked, i offered.. :p)
A few of those are Aussie acts but many are probably internationally recognised :p

I also think music by bands such as the Dead Kennedys, the Clash, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, the Beastie Boys, Jimi Hendrix, The Living End and MUSE, to name a few, is important when it comes to speaking out about world or society issues. xD

Have fun! ;D

[edit on 10/7/08 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybach Hanson

Ask and ye shall receive!!!
My fav too..

FABER DRIVE -When I'm with you (CANADA)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I think the world should know more of "Hellmutt & Sasquatch"...

We're aiming for world domination of course...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Sorry i meant "The Ting Tings" not the "The Tin Tins"
LOLL..

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Paramore. Massive Attack. Cat Power. Mae. Rage Against the Machine. Mad Capsule Markets. Crash Romeo. Kings of Leon. The Pink Spiders.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Cobra Starship
Mae
The Mars Volta
Brooke Fraser
Ataxia
Anberlin
Coheed & Cambria
Evans Blue
Paramore
Poets Of The Fall
Ratatat
The Receiving End Of Sirens
Within Temptation
We Shot the Moon

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hey they sound pretty cool, they remind me a little of Evermore in their style

reply to post by LordBaskettIV

I've heard the name Imogen Heap before, but never heard her music. Although I've heard a Frou Frou song, mainly because it was on the Shrek 2 soundtrack :p

reply to post by pretty_vacant

I totally agree! People should listen to more World music, it's really nice. I like getting cultured like that too lol.

And artists from other countries are good too. One of my favourites is Wilber Pan, he's a Taiwanese singer (although he was born in the US), I like listening to his music, even though I don't know the lyrics. Also some of those J-rock and J-pop bands are interesting too and the visual kei bands.

Wilber Pan - Bu De Bu Ai (I LOVE this song and I LOVE Wilber Pan!)

Younha - Houki Boshi (My sister introduced me to this song and now I love it!)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybach Hanson

Hey sorry, I didn't know how I should post them, so I thought I should just post links

Here's some of those music videos:

Nightwish - The Islander (I LOVE this song
)

Faithless - Mass Destruction (Only just found out about them from watching Rage, these guys are really good and their music makes you think)

Evermore - Light Surrounding You

Small Mercies - Innocent

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Drive By Truckers - Americana

John 5 - Solo Guitarist

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - All You Do is Talk - Rock

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Berlin

The Derek Trucks Band - great music

Explosions in the Sky - Genius

Mogwai - Hunted by a Freak - If you do not listen to this you will regret it...

Mogwai - Punk Rock - Once again... Listen Up!

Jakob - Music

Jesu - Music

Rishloo - Music

Silverchair - Those Thieving Birds pt. 1/ Strange Behavior/ Those Thieving Birds pt. 2

As many may know, these guys are not new... However the band has evolved significantly. I am amazed at what they have created.

reply to post by Hellmutt

Dude... that was awesome. Your phonics took me on a ride. I want more, where to buy?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkly_Eyed777
reply to post by pretty_vacant

I totally agree! People should listen to more World music, it's really nice. I like getting cultured like that too lol.

And artists from other countries are good too. One of my favourites is Wilber Pan, he's a Taiwanese singer (although he was born in the US), I like listening to his music, even though I don't know the lyrics. Also some of those J-rock and J-pop bands are interesting too and the visual kei bands.

Hey those songs are cool too!

LOLL i know i love it! :p Some of my favs would have to be Elisa (Italy), Dynastie Crisis (France), La Caution (France), Piero Umiliani (Italy), Antonio Vivaldi (Italy), Ornella Vanoni (Italy), Mika Singh (India)..

Also recently I LOVE the music from "The Darjeeling Limited" soundtrack - with music from the Bollywood films of Satyagit Ray and Merchant-Ivory - not to mention all the kick-ass Kinks songs... loll :clwdnc:

Qualcosa che non c'e - Elisa

Faust 72 - Dynastie Crisis

The a la menthe - La Caution
The instrumental version is 10 times more awesome and it appears in the film "ocean's Twelve", but Vincent Cassel is so gorgeous in this clip anyway.. haha

[edit on 14/7/08 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
My band
I saw someone put crash romeo, we actually shared a stage with them.. They rock.

I also think the following are not to be missed

Squarepusher
Chris Letcher
Xela
He is Legend
Reggie and the Full Effect
Victor Wooten
The Flecktones
Glassjaw

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
CASSETTEBOY

it's not even really music,but I just love it to bits. They take samples of famous people,and just edit it so they say funny stuff.

this is one of their tracks,I've found one that's not got swearing in (most of them do,little heads up) This is Cassetteboy Vrs Bill Gates.

and this Anti Tony Blair one might maise a smile.

they've got a few albums out
micks tapes
the parker tapes
Inside a whales c*** volume 1
dead horse
and they're about to release another one called Carry on breathing

[edit on 14/7/2008 by Acidtastic]

[edit on 14/7/2008 by Acidtastic]

<<   2  3 >>

join