It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil launches fighter contest for a purchase of 36 jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Brazil's air force has launched the process to buy at least 36 fighter jets as part of a broader plan to modernize after most of its neighbors overhauled their fleets, officials said on Thursday...the size of the order to more than 100 aircraft.

The six selected models are Boeing's F-18 Super Hornet, Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning II, Dassault's Rafale, Sukhoi's SU-35, Saab's Gripen and Eurofighter's Typhoon.

link

That is a rather strange choice of selected models, considering the vast variance in terms of capabilities of those shortlisted jets. Since Brazil is seeking a high degree of technology transfer, I wonder how that will work out with the F-35 ?!?

The new Su-35 looks like the best bet IMHO. It will be interesting to see if geopolitics plays a role in this prospective fighter purchase.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
hey SS good to see ya.

My bet would surround 3, Dassault's Rafale, Sukhoi's SU-35, Saab's Gripen
This contest will be interesting especially the politics.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
As always its going to go to whoever offers the most / biggest industial offsets

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
that`ll be sweden then - since there offering 100%+ for the present deals.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't rule out Russia making a strong bid along with Sweden. Brazil and Russia are already partners in the PAK-FA program. I think Russia would be interested in solidifying that relationship. They are often willing to offer licensed production for large orders.
And I'd be willing to bet the Sukhoi will cost less when all is said and done.
I still think I'd go cheap/small numbers and wait for the PAK-FA that they are already committed to, but I won't bore everyone again

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
they don`t want the SU fighters there asked about the MiG`s - and Algeria recently threw out the MiG`s they recieved for being `aweful` and changed the order to SU`s (less but at least they work).

en.rian.ru...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I've read several places that they have put out an RFI about the Sukhoi (and others). You may be correct that they are looking at the MiG, but I haven't seen that anywhere. I know India has considered the MiG-35 in the MMRCA competition.
The MiG maintenance and logistics issues are pretty well documented. Spare parts are in short supply as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
whats `wierd` is the list they`ve asked for - mixing the heavy weights of the super hornet and flanker with the light weight gripen doesn`t make sense - the gripen launches in `fighter` mode at 8000kg whilst the SH launches at 21000! , different class aircraft - and for what brazil want to replace (similar to the swiss airforce) then the heavies are the wrong choice - unless brazil want to `up the game` and go for a heavy fighter.

edit:

i would put money on the heavies being discounted - the entire airforce is much lighter and would take a big jump for heavies - so would leave the euro canards and the F35 - and tech transfer *if a big issue* would stop the F35 , that and the want for local assembly.

the airforce isn`t really large or modern - but they have a `history` of buying french , so maybe rafale could be a leader here? but then again france have a reputation for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory *cough* morocco fighter deal*cough*

[edit on 8/7/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Rumour has it Embraer Defense Systems has people at Sukhoi discussing the possibility of manufacturing the non-classified bits of the Cy in a deal where Sukhoi wil get some of Embraer's manufacturing for sale to CIS clients. Found a great Google video site with tons of Cy video. Search for dnepr.chevyniva for the flight-fanatics. The Su Sport video is pretty cool.

The MAKS2005 vid has an Su with a little Brazilian flag on it. Done deal? It would seem that the Su heavies can operate from just about anywhere owing to the robust landing gear and short take-off and landing requirements for which they hold several world records.

The 22 is the Cadillac but at what price? 5X or more compared to any other competitor? Seems a bit up-scale for Brazil but who knows the US MIC can't depend on Uncle Sam's borrowing binge to continue indefinitely can they?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
heres another angle

could they buy some rafale and run them off the NAe São Paulo?

top topics

join