It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion+school=control?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I do believe that we are born innocent and then corrupted by adults with their interpretations of whatever is the most prominent religion in the area.

After reading about the children who were given detention for refusing to pray to Allah it made me think about who was right.

As an atheist myself, I can live a happy life without the worries of heaven and hell and all that guilty fear, and actually get on with my life without having to cling to the security blanket that is religion.

I respect the planet and all life forms and can share my love perhaps more truly than any religious person as I believe the only reason the religious ar good is through fear of whatever diety they may offend.

Also the hypcorisy of Islam, christianity and the like are becoming the blight that is destroying humanity in the 21st century (never mind the past encounters).

So basically what I'm saying: Should we abolish the teaching of religion and step out of the dark ages, choosing instead to educate and love instead of inducing fear and control?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is a sticky issue for sure. Good luck with your post.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
yeah we live in a world ruled by menn. We do as we are told by other menn. No one cares what God want any more.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This was my answer to the other thread about the kids being given detention, and i think it is relevant here as will in answer to this thread.

"There is no place in the entire world for any religion at all.

To all those who believe in a religion i ask this:-

When you are lying in a pool of your own blood with a knife in your chest because someone decied to rob you, where is your god then?

When your child dies of a torturous disease, dies in pain and sufferng, where is your god then?

When sickening acts of violence and slaughter are committed across the world to innocent people, where is your god then?

When you need food and shelter, when you need a cure for your childs illness, when the perpetrators of violence need stopping, where is your god then?

I'll tell you where, Nowhere.

But when you need a cure for your sick child, science and technology is there.
When you need you wounds healing, science and technology is there.
When the perpetrators of violence need stopping, people backed by science and technology are there.

So carry on teaching your religion and thanking a god for what we have while science continues to save lives.

When bad things happen, earthquakes, floods, tsunami, hurricanes, people say it was gods will.
When a poor defenseless child dies in agony they say it was gods will.
No it is just a logical fact that bad stuff happens for no damned reason sometimes.
There is no pattern to it, no mythical all powerfull thing behind the scenes controling it.
It is just the logical fact the bad stuff happens and there isn't a thing praying can do about, science on the other hand just might be able to if religious freaks stop filling kids minds with bull instead of with knowledge that may be of use to the world.

I say screw religion, becuase it is allready screwing us and our kids."

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokey101
This was my answer to the other thread about the kids being given detention, and i think it is relevant here as will in answer to this thread.

"There is no place in the entire world for any religion at all.

To all those who believe in a religion i ask this:-

When you are lying in a pool of your own blood with a knife in your chest because someone decied to rob you, where is your god then?

When your child dies of a torturous disease, dies in pain and sufferng, where is your god then?

When sickening acts of violence and slaughter are committed across the world to innocent people, where is your god then?

When you need food and shelter, when you need a cure for your childs illness, when the perpetrators of violence need stopping, where is your god then?

I'll tell you where, Nowhere.

But when you need a cure for your sick child, science and technology is there.
When you need you wounds healing, science and technology is there.
When the perpetrators of violence need stopping, people backed by science and technology are there.

So carry on teaching your religion and thanking a god for what we have while science continues to save lives.

When bad things happen, earthquakes, floods, tsunami, hurricanes, people say it was gods will.
When a poor defenseless child dies in agony they say it was gods will.
No it is just a logical fact that bad stuff happens for no damned reason sometimes.
There is no pattern to it, no mythical all powerfull thing behind the scenes controling it.
It is just the logical fact the bad stuff happens and there isn't a thing praying can do about, science on the other hand just might be able to if religious freaks stop filling kids minds with bull instead of with knowledge that may be of use to the world.

I say screw religion, becuase it is allready screwing us and our kids."

You should read the bibel before you say things like this.

What did God tell Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden after they had eaten of the forbidden frute ?

It aint the religion thats evil its humans trying to controll people with religion.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
They are loosing the "battle" lately, therefore, the only way to defeat that is to start to indoctrinate at even younger age, public schools are just perfect for this.

If they mask the religion with "science" (public school "flavor") and they give it a "serious" name like Intelligent Design it could just happen, at least that is what they believe...

It is a common topic on the Church meetings all across the US lately

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Being the shunned ATS member I will keep it brief. You have alot of anger towards the idea of any God or religion because of all the tragedies on the earth perhaps I have help to reframe this idea.

May I propose that it is not God that is at fault for all the evil in the world but the devil. You may say that God allows it but wasn't it our choice in the beginning to do things our way instead of Gods way, so God allowed mankind to wander off the righteous path to pursue our own and then to see how bad it is without God running things. When Jesus came he spent most of his time healing people, bringing them back from the dead and the like, in fact when he would heal and some religious people would say "how can you heal someone on the Sabbath day", he would correct them by saying why can't people that have been bound and chained by the devil for all those years be released on the Sabbath day.

Everyone likes to blame God but God is the giver of life. Without him nothing that was made would have been made, he makes something out of nothing. I say praise God for the opportunity to live the life he has made for all of us to live, and I thank him for all the blessings he has given me even though I expect at some point to be homeless and to die in his name, PRAISE GOD!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

There is a Christian movement to have some form of creationism or intelligent design taught in the public school system. However, they're having a difficult time getting this placed on a science curriculum because intelligent design is not a science. It is a philosophical view of science. Huge difference.

What proponents of intelligent design want to do is for students to acknowledge the prescence of a higher power -- God.

So, yes. There is a conspiracy within the Christian movement to proselytize to public school children via creationism or intelligent design.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I don't think it's a christian conspiracy at all, would you rather students be taught lies that evolution occured when in fact it was intelligent design?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brickhouse32

Intelligent design is not a science. It is a philosophical view of science. The only one you are deceiving is yourself if you believe otherwise.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

Intelligent design is not a science. It is a philosophical view of science. The only one you are deceiving is yourself if you believe otherwise.

Noone was there when the earth was formed or the universe so how can Science be trusted. Science is discovery and is largely based on theories, presenting mere ideas as well established and accepted fact. I find it takes more faith to believe in Science than to believe in God or rather intelligent design. But each has their own choices to make about beliefs. I will continue in mine.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Link to the Fox News report about Children getting detention for not kneeling to pray to Allah.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I went to a Catholic school. Fear was never induced. Control was only induced to the same level of most public schools. And we were never forced to pray.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by brickhouse32
Being the shunned ATS member I will keep it brief. You have alot of anger towards the idea of any God or religion because of all the tragedies on the earth perhaps I have help to reframe this idea.

May I propose that it is not God that is at fault for all the evil in the world but the devil. You may say that God allows it but wasn't it our choice in the beginning to do things our way instead of Gods way, so God allowed mankind to wander off the righteous path to pursue our own and then to see how bad it is without God running things. When Jesus came he spent most of his time healing people, bringing them back from the dead and the like, in fact when he would heal and some religious people would say "how can you heal someone on the Sabbath day", he would correct them by saying why can't people that have been bound and chained by the devil for all those years be released on the Sabbath day.

Everyone likes to blame God but God is the giver of life. Without him nothing that was made would have been made, he makes something out of nothing. I say praise God for the opportunity to live the life he has made for all of us to live, and I thank him for all the blessings he has given me even though I expect at some point to be homeless and to die in his name, PRAISE GOD!

I was born without belief. I was raised without it (but told of it's existence). I studied many of them as I did lots of other things. My mind is FREE to go wherever it wants to. Not locked onto anything in particular... I wander intentionally, not because I'm lost, and I enjoy every second of it. Anger, you say ? Hmmmm.

Your post looks like something from "New born Cristian's guide: How to make Atheists see the light through making Jesus look like a sissy, hippy, cool looking dude who is all about love".

Well, good luck with that...

I suggest that you read the Bible again (ALL of it) and accept the "man" for who he "really" was, as you should everybody else around you

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

I was born without belief. I was raised without it (but told of it's existence). I studied many of them as I did lots of other things. My mind is FREE to go wherever it wants to. Not locked onto anything in particular... I wander intentionally, not because I'm lost, and I enjoy every second of it. Anger, you say ? Hmmmm.

Your post looks like something from "New born Cristian's guide: How to make Atheists see the light through making Jesus look like a sissy, hippy, cool looking dude who is all about love".

Well, good luck with that...

I suggest that you read the Bible again (ALL of it) and accept the "man" for who he "really" was, as you should everybody else around you

I fail to see your point, I have read the bible to some great distress and even after making it through all of the hardest to understand and concerning passages I walk away with these truths:

God is Love
Jesus' did exactly what the father God wanted him to, his primary purpose was to die for the sins of mankind.
He forgives sin, he heals the sick.
Though he could destroy people simply by thinking about it or calling down angels his love prevented him.

Luke 9:54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? 55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

He forgave those that crucified him while they were still crucifying him
Luke 23:34
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”...

I see nothing but love and patience and kindness, though he was strongly against lawyers and religious rule type people and sin. He condemned sin but offered forgiveness if we would only confess our sins and realize the error of our way.

I think you say the things you do because you do not belong to him.

I am not your average go to sunday school church boy. I made a lot of mistakes in my life, I don't really even go to church but I love God more than anything else.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I respect the fact that you have strong religious convictions. However it is not necessary for you to proselytize. If I want to find inspiration in scripture, I'm more than capable of reading the Bible. If I want to hear a sermon, I'll attend church. No need to preach here.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If someone holds strong views opposite to the truth I have a mandate to confront it. I viewed that someone was decieved into believe material that was not the truth. This deception was keeping them from the truth.

If the bible is true which I believe it is then isn't a mans eternal soul more important than a few comments left on your thread and that error be confronted whenever it appears?

It is a service of the highest importance, to free mens souls.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Fidgeting is the problem. We're not allowed to do it at school and it impacts on our natural ape behaviour. As for religion, it deals with questions quite well and then comes up with arbitrary codes that don't always relate to behaviour (fidgeting).

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

from a christian, I will tell you , YES, step out of the teachings of
religion , no one should ever be punished for not accepting the
teachings of one religion.

but make sure you give them the info of the bible, you can hand them
the bible and tell them it is the most corrupted book in the world, but
always let them read it and come to this conclusion themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join