It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Republicans cool to youth-voting bills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

State Republicans cool to youth-voting bills

www.sfgate.com

A pair of Assembly bills designed to bring more young people into the voting booths are being fought by Republicans who worry that too many of those new voters will be liberal Democrats.

One of the measures would allow 16- and 17-year-olds to "preregister" to vote, while the other would allow 17-year-olds to vote in a primary election if they will be 18 by the date of the next general election. Both bills have prompted straight party-line votes, with no hint of GOP support.

While Democrats sponsoring the bills say they are merely good-government measures, studies show that their party would get a major election-day boost if more young voters cast ballots.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Overthrowing the United States Government

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The last thing this country needs is a bunch of young free thinking voters showing up at the polls!

I am not sure which is more disappointing here, the fact that republicans wish to suppress these bills or the fact that some believe they have to create legislation aimed at getting the youth to vote.

Stick to your video games and leave the voting up to your parents and elders kids!

www.sfgate.com

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
If it was up to Democrats, Illegal Aliens would have the right to vote, the same would go for felons.

The rules are just fine the way they are. Ever notice it's the losers who always want to change the rules?

I don't think it would matter anyway, young people do not vote in mass. Then if they do vote and their candidate loses, they vow never to vote again. I heard it when ALGORE lost, and I heard the same thing when John Kerry lost. Then you got Puff Daddy threatening kids with "Vote or Die" now it's "Obama or die", that rhetoric turns them off even more!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012

The last thing this country needs is a bunch of young free thinking voters showing up at the polls!

I am not sure which is more disappointing here, the fact that republicans wish to suppress these bills or the fact that some believe they have to create legislation aimed at getting the youth to vote.

Stick to your video games and leave the voting up to your parents and elders kids!

www.sfgate.com

to play devils advocate-----at least these "kids" may actually show up and vote=====because the parents and elder kids certainly aren't----voter turnout is absolutley pathetic---it makes me sick-----at least here everyone complains yet ask if they vote and they say no-----i mean at least make an effort,,, a little is better than nothing-----even vote against all incumbents that are lining there pockets on repeat terms----at least do that

of course i'm sure we, ats, actually try to be informed and keep up on things,,, which can't be said for 70% of america

[edit on 7-7-2008 by shortywarn]

new topics

top topics

join