It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

the answer to why we are in the state we are in

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This site's motto is "deny ignorance." Therefore, i intend w/ this thread to help "deny ignorance."

I am used to hearing ppl say America is a democracy IRL. What I am suprised to find on a site such as this, more than a few here also refer to this country as a democracy. I am going to do my best to clear up this misconception as it really has a great deal to do with why we are losing our rights and what is being done by the government both here and abroad.

First, what is a democracy?

Really, unbeknownst to most, the term is very vague. There is no universally accepted definition of the word although it is widely accepted that for the most part, it is where the citizens have a say so in who is elected to their government.

you can find more here en.wikipedia.org... .

what ppl fail to realize is that this vague term has many different systems that fall under it. for instance there is :

Parliamentary democracy : en.wikipedia.org...

Direct democracy:
en.wikipedia.org... (this is the one in which we are claiming by saying we are direct democracy, however, this is nothing but "rule by the mob". there is no guarantee for the protection of individual rights and civil order can be dangerously disrupted under such a system. yet this is what they are teaching in school, on kiddie t.v shows, and even the college course i took in American Government refered to us as such) in this link, if you scroll down, you can see the problems w/ such a system

Social democracy:
en.wikipedia.org... (which we now have elements of in our country)

Totalitarian democracy: en.wikipedia.org... (which i feel that we very much are or at least close to)

and so on and so on

Calling us democracy fails to recognize the very system that we were set up to be under, the very system that made this country unique and great.

that is called a

Constitutional Republic:
en.wikipedia.org...

this allowed for order under our constitution to be maintained while respecting the rights of ALL individuals, both the majority and the minority.


now some on here have laughed and said "who cares"? well, i care.

like i have said before, i have seen it explained (though can't remember where) that the constitutional republic is to democracy what an oak is to a tree.

tree, being generic, can yield many different fruits. but an apple tree cannot produce figs or lemons, etc. it is very important to know the distinction and to educate those around you that we are specifically a constitutional republic, for in this is what will allow us to maintain our freedom and our voice.

you all talk about how "they" are brainwashing us... well, this is one of the ways in which it is being done.

i have posted links to wikipedia site for convenience sake, but if you don't like that site and even if you do, i encourage you all to get out there and look these things up. do the research and learn the history of the system the founding fathers intended YOU to be under.

go further than this even and understand their stances on foreign policies and such things because as you begin to unravel what we have been taught from what is the truth, you will see how far we are and WHY we are in the state we find ourselves in today.

i think this misconception is also the reason why some fail to understand why mccain and obama are not choices that are concurrent w/ what this country was originally intended to be.

i am only posting this bc i do care very much about the state of this country and where it is headed and i hope that you all can understand that.



[edit on 5-7-2008 by justamomma]




posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma
 



Great post! Thank you! I think one of the biggest scams in American history was convincing American's that we were designed to be a democracy. Some have argued that in a democracy all it takes is 51% to enslave the remaining 49%. We are certainly seeing this come to fruition.



posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
reply to post by justamomma
 



Some have argued that in a democracy all it takes is 51% to enslave the remaining 49%. We are certainly seeing this come to fruition.


thank you. and you are right. it took awhile for me to understand the importance btw pure democracy and a constitutional republic, but once i did understand, suddenly everything became that much more clear as to the reasons why the government is getting by w/ what they are.

in a pure democracy, ppl don't necessarily have the individual rights that we should value in this country and they certainly don't necessarily have the rights to contradict what their gov't says. but in a constitutional republic, you do have the individual rights (whether majority or minority) and you do have the right to stand up to your gov't...... the latter being of upmost concern to many on this site right now..



posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
Calling us democracy fails to recognize the very system that we were set up to be under, the very system that made this country unique and great. that is called a Constitutional Republic:
...
i think this misconception is also the reason why some fail to understand why mccain and obama are not choices that are concurrent w/ what this country was originally intended to be. i am only posting this bc i do care very much about the state of this country and where it is headed and i hope that you all can understand that.


You are right. If it were a pure democracy, then everything would be decided via referendum. "They" push the propaganda in the media and the school systems with democracy rhetoric.

But what really happens in this "democracy?" Republicans destroy other countries through a military war, Democrats destroy families through social agendas, and activists judges destroy the Constitution through this farce of a judicial system.

It is like WTF? Most people are pessimistic because the system is so imperfect, but I would rather live here than almost anywhere else in the world.



new topics

top topics
 
1

log in

join