It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says

news.nationalgeographic.com

Kimberly Johnson
for National Geographic News
June 30, 2008

Rapid changes in the churning movement of Earth\'s liquid outer core are weakening the magnetic field in some regions of the planet\'s surface, a new study says.

\"What is so surprising is that rapid, almost sudden, changes take place in the Earth\'s magnetic field,\" said study co-author Nils Olsen, a geophysicist at the Danish National Space Center in Copenhagen.

The findings suggest similarly quick changes are simultaneously occurring in the liquid metal, 1,900 miles (3,000 kilometers) below the surface, he said.

The swirling flow of molten iron and nickel around Earth\'s solid center triggers an electrical current, which generates the planet\'s magnetic field.

(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD EDIT: trim length of external quote

[edit on 5-7-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty interesting.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
And they said that a pole shift wouldn`t happen in our lifetime. I bet you that the biggest changes will come right around 2012. Those Mayans were on to something.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Reminds me of that stupid movie the core.I figured a pole change would take thousands of years.

sty

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I am not sure we have any evidence to support a slow magnetic shift for our Earth. Actually we do not even know the cause for this change to come. We just know that it happened in the past.
You know , a compass will show you north and south. The same way , we have iron sediments that would show us north and south. However, the layers are alternating, it looks like the poles shifted countless times from the beginning of the Earth. My guess? the 2012 theory is not that false in the end! we (our solar system ) could actually run for the galactic plan of the Milky Way - and possible this would cause the changes everyone suspects we are heading for. I do not expect the expected for the next 20 years of Earth..

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
polar shift...cool...If you happen to be in a spot where the earth's magnetic field decreases, enjoy what it will do to your brain....your brain is, after all, a profound electromagnetic receiver and transmitter!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There's been a couple of stories about this recently.

Magnetic Pole Shift & Climate Change

Planet's Magnetic Field Varies Much Faster Than Expected

It's pretty scary stuff.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I thought that the Moon orbiting the Earth kept the axis, and thus poles at the constant angle it is???

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It's not the actual pole, the magnetic pole. The earth will not flip, just the magnetic field.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading

John Roach
for National Geographic News
September 9, 2004

Earth's magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say.

If the trend continues, the field may collapse altogether and then reverse. Compasses would point south instead of north.

2004 ATS Thread- Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading (by SIRR1)

Other articles sourcing Nils Olsen and Mioara Mandea:
technocrat.net - Magnetic Field Fluctuations
DTU Space - ]Surprisingly rapid changes in the Earth's core discovered
nature.com - Rapidly changing flows in the Earth's core (Letter Abstract)

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yeah they will switch positions but just on opposite ends but will remain in the same polar regions.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I wonder if the earth'd disturbed core during this magnetic field flip is causing all the volcanos and earthquakes. They are saying things like the China quake is unusual, rare. Yellowstone has been swelling for about the same amount of time.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by logicize]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just found this from a few days ago:

Recent Proof About Poles Reversal in Connection with Planet X

I belive he's linking the changing of the Sahara from green to desert to magnetic pole reversal as a result of planet x passing by. But if there is a planet x wouldn't we see it by now?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Oh! that doesnt sound so good maybe the pole shift predicted by einstein will come true in the near future.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Not in the near future. Right now, we are in the midst of a magnetic pole shift right now. They are observering it with a bunch of NASA missions and other magnetic field studies. There have been stories recently about a complete collapse of the magnetic field in some areas of the atlantic right now.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jstnumber73

according tho these it has happened faily recently

Plato:

“I mean the change in the rising and the setting of the sun and the other heavenly bodies, how in those times they used to set in the quarter where they now rise, and used to rise where they now set”….”at certain periods the universe has in present circular motion, and at other periods it revolved in the reverse direction….Of all the changes which take place in the heavens this reversal is the greatest and the most complete.”

(Plato, The Statesman or Politicus (trans. H.N. Flowler, 1925) p. 49, 53)

Herodotus

four times in this period (historical ages), the sun rose contrary to his wont; twice he rose where he now sets, and twice he sets where he now rises.”

Magical Papyrus

“the south becomes north and the Earth turns over.”

(H.O. Lange “Der Magische Papyrus Harris, “K. Danske Videnskabernes Selskab (27) p. 58 quoted in World in Collision by Emmanuel Bvelikovsky, p. 120)

david

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Those seem to indicate actual flipping of the earth rather than the flipping of the earths magnetic poles. When the magnetic poles flip, the sun will still set in the west and rise in the east.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by logicize]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Even if it does happen...boo hoo...we have certainly had a decent run in such a volatile earth...if it does happen it will test us as a species to the limit...mother earth always knows how to weed out the weak...if we survive,it means we are fit for survival if not...we shall become another extinct species...anyway, one of the north poles have already slipped...in 1999/1998 i believe i read more about it but cant remember...some university in india said their could be a shift in 2011/2012...although the chances are small...this means all electrical equipment wont work...

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
mm yes

ok

lest say that the east west is in a fixed place on earth, if the globe is flipped then this can change where the sun sets and rise.

i agree however that the sun will be where it is now

david

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
However if they had been measuring this for the past 5000 years.
They would see this as insignificant.
This is similar to the global warming graph they present.
Which they started measuring from one of the coolest periods.
All these important discoveries are taking place because we are evolving and becoming more aware and our technology is increasing.
Yet we don't have data for 500 years let alone 5000, to be able to say any of it is considered significant.
These things are happening yes we can find that, but are they happening anymore than they ever normally did?
We cant say.
Although many for there own little evil gain would like to say they can say without a doubt its happening more than it ever was.
Just more liars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join