It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite Horror Film?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
AHHH

Nice to see this thread still going! And good discussion folks.

Anyone a fan of Ed Wood films? Who doesn't love classic cheese.

Also, Sonya, Re-Animator is a f'n classic. Gotta love the scene where the severed head acts on oral sex with the girl.

Sigh

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
Character wise then the best killer all time must be Bateman?
I haven't read the book yet ( I know, shame on me...), but the way Bale delivers him in the movie really makes me sympathise with him.
I thought that all the characters in that movie, no matter how small their roll were, made that movie a great piece of work.

I keep returning to it just to experience the scenes where he talks about his morning rutine and where he loses it because of a freaking business card x)

Thanks for the recommendation on American Psycho Flice. I rented it and it was hilarious! As stated before I had avoided it out of fear of violence towards animals, but that was actually very minimal.

That was a really fun movie! I hope more people come up with suggestions, especially suggestions for movies with great eccentric killers because I am making notes here.

Oh and Larry welcome back! Share come commentary on some of the movies that have been mentioned, especially any with good killers. : )

[edit on 12-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I am putting on Black Sunday (1960) now.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

How was it enjoies? I don't recall the original at all. Care to write a review? LOL. I want to keep this thread alive, I am surprised more horror fans are not contributing. This genre is so large there are always old/new movies that can be discovered.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
But last night I watched Nightmare Castle.

It's the best movie I've ever seen. Not just my favorite horror movie, but my favorite movie of all. I just loved it, everything about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well i'm a bit of a classic horror movie fan, I prefer my horrors with suspense rather than gore.
So with that in mind here are my 5 favourite horror movies.

1. The Ghost of Frankenstein - The 4th movie of the Universal Frankenstein series starred Lon Chaney Jr as the monster & Bela Lugosi returns as his pal Ygor.
The story involves Ygor & the monster visit the last remaining Frankenstein family member to get the monsters brain replaced with a healthy non psychotic brain.
Ygor threatens the life of the love of Frankensteins life & makes the Dr replace the monsters brain with Ygor's brain.

2. Son of Frankenstein - The 3rd movie of the series sees the monster played by Boris Karloff & Ygor team up to take out the people who sent Ygor to be hanged.
The return of Baron Wolf von Frankenstein to his fathers estate sees him & his family battle with the monster.

3. Dawn of the Dead - The original movie from the 70's, I love most of George Romero movies as they are as much a social commentary than it is about zombies eating people.

4. The Night Walker - An Alfred Hitchcock film that gave me the creeps when I was younger.
Barbara Stanwyck (in her last theatrical feature) stars as a wealthy woman who's terrorized by recurring dreams regarding her jealous, blind husband who supposedly burned to death in a recent fire. She tries to convince her attorney played by Robert Taylor (the real-life ex-husband of Stanwyck) that the nightmares are real.

5. The Wolf Man - Lon Chaney JR plays the wolf man, i'm copying the following from IMDB as it describes brilliantly.

The wolf man is the beast or Freudian "Id" in all of us -- the part of us we don't want others to see, the part of us we may not even want to see ourselves.
This film is a fable about us all. We all have a spilt personality that can overtake us if we are not careful to know ourselves.

So that's my top 5 choices, I have loads more I have enjoyed but these I have the most fond memories of.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
hum nice thread but i wonder if we're missing the point here, you said horro film as in one that terrifies me but i find scary flicks to be entertaining for the most part what horrifies my is a poor performance instead so i will call my movie based on that.

GLITTER!!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
But last night I watched Nightmare Castle.

You surely love those oldschool italian horror movies with lots of screaming women. lol. Wish I could recommend some. Blockbuster just shipped Suspiria so I will report back after I watch it. : )

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4
Well i'm a bit of a classic horror movie fan, I prefer my horrors with suspense rather than gore.

Yes the old frankenstein and wolfman movies were fun, I grew up on them. I did like the remake of Dawn of the Dead. The original was fun too, but the remake was so action packed! Plus the zombie pregnant woman and all...deliciously morbid.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

LOL. Never seen Glitter. Don't plan too. The scariest non-horror flick that comes to my mind is Hotel Rawanda. Ugh that gave me nightmares. It was like a Romero zombie movie but it was real! Endless mobs with machete's, people holed up in a hotel hoping the mobs don't get in. Too real.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Oh cool, tell us if you like Suspiria.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Some of my favorites are:

• Witchboard
  • Pet Semetary
  • Fright Night
  • Salem's Lot
  • Ghostship
  • The Nightstalker Series (Old & New)
  • From Dusk Till Dawn

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I hope you enjoy Suspira. The thing I remember most about that movie is that the colours were so vibrant. It's a visually stunning film.

If you like it, you should try Tenebre and Bird with the Crystal Plumage too.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
actually i do have ascary movie for you guys its called the nightwatch with ewan mcgregor back like in 97

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Watched Suspiria. It was visually stunning, beautiful colors and it gave the movie a lovely surreal effect. Unfortunately the DVD that blockbuster sent was a bit damaged and the famous murder scene would not play (had seen it on youtube but it would have been better in the movie). Honestly the acting and storyline were a bit weak, but it was a beautiful movie.

Lloyd I forgot all about the old NIght Stalker series, that was so fun. Pet Semetery was by far my favorite of Kings books turned into film (though the Shining was pretty good). Dusk Until Dawn was one weird movie, actually seemed like two movies spiced together.

Razor thanks for the tip on Nightwatch, I looked it up and added it to my list of movies. It looks pretty good.

I also watched The Ruins, that was a decent movie. I expected a sacrificial theme (college kids visit Mayan ruins), turns out the "evil" in the movie is a killer plant and while that sounds silly they actually did a decent job with the whole thing; fair amount of drama and blood and the acting was pretty good.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I pretty much love any horror film, regardless of the quality, so it's hard to list my favorites. I guess Evil Dead II and Cannibal Holocaust are oldies and goodies. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies were pretty funny, too. For recent movies, I really liked that zombie movie 28 Days Later that came out a couple years ago. The Dusk 'Til Dawn movies were pretty cool. I indiscriminately DVR and watch any horror film that comes on SciFi or Chiller or IFC or whatever if it has a good description. The other day I saw one called Haunted Prison and it was awesome. Basically it was one gruesome death scene after another.

I've never actually been scared from watching a horror movie, though, with the strange exception of Event Horizon, which I saw when I was in middle school or so. It was about some astronauts who flew into space and found Hell.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by EverythingYouDespise]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by EverythingYouDespiseFor recent movies, I really liked that zombie movie 28 Days Later that came out a couple years ago.

I just could not get into either 28 days movies. The speeding up of the violent scenes just did not work for me. Now Dawn of the Dead (Remake) was good, and Shawn of the Dead was a lot of fun.

The zombies in I am Legend were pretty good too. THere is actually an alternative ending to that movie which was much better than the original ending, for those that saw the movie check it out...its good but it is controversial. Apparently the ending was rejected because it made the protaganist into the monster who was torturing the zombie/vampire things...

www.firstshowing.net...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Glad you liked it.

Next one I'm going to watch is Castle of Blood. Probably Monday night.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I really liked the new Dawn of the Dead movie, the ending was scary and sad. Because they get to the island which they think is safe, but all of the sudden hordes of zombies start coming at them. The Phantasm series is pretty good too , with the Tall Man, deals a lot with death.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
The Haunting (1963 original- not the piece of crap remake). Hands down one of the scariest climaxes EVER and very little special effects.

Exactly right, Alora. I entered this thread planning to say precisely that -- found you had posted it as the #1 response.

What was incredible about this movie is that you never once saw a ghost.

It was the last horror movie I ever so that made me afraid to sleep -- for several nights afterwards. It may have permanently scarred me. What a delight!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join