What's your favorite Horror Film?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Flice I totally agree, for me the acting HAS to be decent.

So that rules out all the Friday the 13th's for you?

That's why I love them so much.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Character wise then the best killer all time must be Bateman?
I haven't read the book yet ( I know, shame on me...), but the way Bale delivers him in the movie really makes me sympathise with him.
I thought that all the characters in that movie, no matter how small their roll were, made that movie a great piece of work.

I keep returning to it just to experience the scenes where he talks about his morning rutine and where he loses it because of a freaking business card x)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice Character wise then the best killer all time must be Bateman?

American Psycho? I have never seen that film (have avoided it because I thought it had the dog torture scene from the book and I am not down with violence towards animals).

But someone told me the movie does not include that scene. It is on my “must see” list now.

Interesting fact, I read that the Bush Brothers (George and Jeb) loved that book and even invited the author to dinner. Haha.

Edit if you like killers with interesting personalities rent Mr. Brooks. It is fun and has a few very good scenes.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

omg yes, how could I forget. I just resaw Mr. Brooks 2 months ago. Now that was an interesting movie
for me that marked a comeback for mr. Costner.
He and William Hurt pulled off those schizo scenes perfectly and with humor

EDIT: How about that theme too... yummy

[edit on 6/7/08 by flice]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Another good one is Hard Candy. Different as it involves a pedo type that meets a sweet young girl on the internet. Then things turn bad for him. Very intense, lots of dark humor, all takes place in one day.

Edit and yes Mr. Brooks had some great scenes. Wish they focused on that hangman guy more. But that ending scissors blood scene...for the record I did NOT replay that 5 times...cause if i did that would make me some kind of freak. : )

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I read about it, but haven't seen it though. It doesn't quite seem to fit my fetich for horror in the classic sense

Ah yes, dark humor. Then we have to mention "The Cottage"... I couldn't quite figure that one out if it was trying to be humourous on purpose. But talk about "tragic" murders in that one.

Also there's another new one that surprised me a bit. Can't remember the name but it was some kids out hiking and this pair of hick brothers, one old, one fat would kill the hikers and make snuff kinda movies with them.
Not great acting but a decent attempt for a first timer.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

The Cottage? Well i have a blockbuster membership and my online queue is always going empty. This thread is filling it up. Will add that one.

Have you seen Hannibal Rising? Okay the acting was a bit stiff...but the characters did get very into what they were doing. Lots of entertaining moments in that movie, plus that Hannibal guy is very attractive.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Yep, I saw it. Mostly because of the Hannibal theme. The Jodie Foster one was very good, in that 90s way. But honestly I'm having trouble remembering the full story in Hannibal Rising.
Was something with the 2nd world war and parents dieing or something like that? I'll take your word for him being attractive ;P I guess I'd have to see it again.

Recently I ran into a spree of very bad 1st timer American horror movies. So I began looking east instead and came across all those Korean and japanese flicks. A lot of them turn out to be really nice and they know how to do cinematography.
Again... I have a sucky memory when it comes to names, but just go for random movies, I bet you'll strike gold 90% of the time

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Second choice would be The Island, a Hong Kong horror about two guys who strand on a cannibal island.

Quite a bloody mess it becomes...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Yeah well, our tastes must differ. Hannibal had many very sadistic, interesting scenes. : )

If you are still looking for good horror films, Masters of Horror (a Showtime series, all famous horror directors, lots of fun, twisted, and dark stuff) is good.

Also some of the "8 Films to Die For" flicks are pretty good. Some are good, some aren't, but some organization chooses 8 of the best little known horror films each year.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't know if it's strictly a horror movie, but I enjoyed "Frankenstien", and "Dracula". Classics.

"Ah, the children of the Night." one of my favorite movie lines of all time...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I don't know if it's strictly a horror movie, but I enjoyed "Frankenstien", and "Dracula". Classics.

Those were the very first horror movies! I believe when the first Frankenstein was released in theaters they had a warning saying it might be dangerous to the health of sensitive viewers (fainting, heart attacks, and the like).

I know I am dating myself here, but as a young kid...8 years old or so, those old classics were played on tv every saturday night. Black and white film, beautiful old castles filled with antiques and cobwebs...lonnnggg staircases. Gotta love it!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
cemetary man is a good flick i havent seen it in years'

return of the living dead is probably the best one without cheese

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
If the acting is good, well then I will watch it, but I am not into gore it'self. Just plain ole gore is boring.

Ok, did we forget Dr. Hannibal Lector? All of them...

Enjoyed Evil Dead (own it)

The Mist (own it)

The Ruins (own it, it was actually not bad, fairly good acting>)

My all time favorite is though, and always will be, 'THE SHINING'

Speaking of horror, did any of you hear they are making a Smurf movie? Well to me thats a real nightmare!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaimless
If the acting is good, well then I will watch it, but I am not into gore it'self. Just plain ole gore is boring.

I completely agree. Though it does seem some prefer the shallow characters with bad acting maybe because it makes the violence seen unreal.

Anyways I hope people keep posting to this thread. I have added several movies to my rental list and would love to get more suggestions!

Someone mentioned the Changling with George C Scott. That is a very creepy ghost story. For some reason a good ghost story can be the most disturbing in my mind because it is easy to imagine weird happenings even in ones own home, or dark bedroom.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
rather than mention previously mentioned films or films that are obvious, I'll give you a movie that scared the pants of a young Crakeur. Let me preface this with a story. One night in college a friend and I were renting movies for the night and we hit the usual comedy options (we were going to be in a laughing mood, if you get my drift) and then we hit the horror to see if there was anything worthwhile. My friend grabs a movie off the shelf and says it's the scariest movie he's ever seen. He says he watched it when he was a kid, with his dad, when a baseball game was rained out. It was on regular tv (all the creepy stuff likely edited out) and both he and his dad were freaked out by it.

I looked at the movie and nearly dropped it. I saw the movie too. I had rented it with friends when I was in high school Scariest damned film I'd ever seen and I was into all kinds of horror, gore fest, creep shows etc.

The story is about a woman who moves into an apartment and meets all these strange neighbors. Some of whom scare her for various reasons. I can't say much more without letting the end game out but, suffice it to say, we rented it again and we scared the hell out of our friends with it.

Is it still scary? Given the 1977 release date, the makeup is probably outdated and silly but I can't say for sure because I haven't seen it since.
The Sentinel
www.imdb.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's always hard for me to pick faves...really any movie that has a girl speaking in a demon/manly voice like it is possessed feels me with fear!

Eeeeek!

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Whose seen the unrated kills in Friday the 13th Part 7?

The sleeping bag one is badass.

[edit on 7/7/08 by enjoies05]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Givenmay, your not supposed to post pictures of my ex wife, she will get angry, you won't like her when shes angry

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

LOL, I have more, you are welcome to them!

She is so beautifully horrid

I know you miss her!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join