It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite Horror Film?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Like them new or old? Hollywood or Indie?

I prefer some good fashioned exploitation flicks such as Cannibal Holocaust. Here are some of my favorite horror films:

Nekromantik
Aftermath
Cannibal Holocaust
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Basket Case
Faces of Death
Blood Feast

the list goes on, c'mon ATS. List your films!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The Haunting (1963 original- not the piece of crap remake). Hands down one of the scariest climaxes EVER and very little special effects.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The Shining is my favorite above all.

Here's Johnny!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

The Serpent and the Rainbow because it is based on a true story and the voodoo high priest is the most evil looking chap I have ever seen in a movie.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
The Shining is my favorite above all.

Here's Johnny!

Ever seen the remake mini series ABC had years back?

Didn't see it, but heard it was so so so bad..

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Peter Medak: The Changeling (charismatic George C. Scott), Very entertaining good old "haunted house" film. Not much special effects, but very intense atmosphere and a interesting plot.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The Shining
The Andromeda Strain (a must see, fictional D.U.M.B.)
Capricorn One (a must see, fake mars landing)
Hardware
Total Recall

Terminator
Alien

in no particular order

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The original Night of the Living Dead. Brilliant film done on such a small budget! Late one night I caught the remake, that was pretty good too.

There is just something about unstoppable hoards of undead people that is just sooo creepy. Shot in black and white, handful of people holing up in a dark abandoned farmouse, any of the younguns that have never seen it really should.

People tell what you LOVED about these movies. It is hard to find good horror flicks, so many are bad that recommendations from others help a lot.

(I will have other favorites but will post them later).

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

yeah that was bad indeed.

why oh why the remakes? :shk:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Nekromantik
Aftermath
Cannibal Holocaust
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Basket Case
Faces of Death
Blood Feast

If you like Nekromantic then you probably aren't all that fussy about production quality. You may also like Blood Sucking Freaks (it is not continual gore/fetish but it has some memorable scenes, production is very low quality though).

Dead Alive is also a classic, well produced, supposedly more blood than any other film to date, and an amusing British type sense of humor.

Reanimator is another good one for those that prefer sex with their undead, if course it is mostly horror but there are a couple of memorable scenes (one of the few X rated horror films).

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Suspiria is my favorite. Love the colors. The first murder scene is great, and so is the one with the blind man. Love it all.
There is a few other Italian ones I like. Beautiful.

Love Halloweens 1 - 6 (well, except 3. That's alright). Michael Myers =

Bought that Friday the 13th boxset to, love them.

Evil Dead I and II - those are great.
Don't care for the 3rd one that much.

Cannibal Holocaust, Christine, Carrie, The Burning

Some of the older ones, House on Haunted Hill...

Love Horror films. Always looking for ones I haven't seen yet.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
There is also a few I'm looking for, but haven't found yet. Danza macabra (Castle of Blood) and Residencia, La (The Finishing School), and some others.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Ack! How could I have left out Evil Dead? For shame on me. I'm sending myself to bed without supper. lol

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Halloween 1 and 2

Poltergeist

The Exorcist

The Descent (it surprised me with it's 'goodness')

If I can get my brain a thinkin' I will post again lol.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Couple of newer ones are really good as well.

If you haven't seen them check out:

Stephen King's The Mist (best reflection of human nature and responses to fear ever written and made into film (IMO)).
The Ruins (excellent film, really original idea)

My favourites of all time:
No 1: Stephen King's The Langoliers (by faaaar).
Respectable mentions to Valentine, G. A. Romero's Dead movies.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Has anyone seen Hostile? Thats a pretty screwed up way to wind up. Its about two guys meeting some hot girls and hookin up with em for a few days only to get railroaded into a torture house. Make you think twice about dating a Hotty.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Couple of newer ones are really good as well.

If you haven't seen them check out:

Stephen King's The Mist (best reflection of human nature and responses to fear ever written and made into film (IMO)).

Did you read the book? The movie was extremely loyal to the book until the very end. That ending....

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have read most all of Stephen Kings horror novels..but to be honest they are really rather slow and have vague endings.

Except pet cemetery, the movie captured the book so well! That was pure genius, and very very creepy.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
1 film to rule them all... The Shining ;P The cinematography is awe inspiring and if you've seen the behind thing and noticed how he either #s up his cast or treats them like gods in order to get a reaction from them, you can't help thinking that this was one #ed up genious dude that Kubrick

I lately saw the french movie "Frontiers". I had only read about it a bit and thought I'd give it a go. It's not too deep, but the acting is decent, the lighting great, and the most important is that it's stomach turning :S
It's about this group of robbers who are on the run. On their way to stop in at what they think is a quiet motel in the shape of a recluse farm.
Let's just say it's not...

Poltergeist was the first horror movie I was allowed to see when I was young. The amount of nightmares this resulted in is innumerable

Texas Chainsaw, the new one. Yes, I saw the old too, and I can see how it fits in, in that periode of time. However I think the new version is much more focused on the pain part than the critical look at society part and I kinda like that. When that kid is hung up on that hook, I almost puked :S

28 days and weeks later. "Days" is in my humble oppinion the best "zombie" movie ever made. Cilian Murphy is an excellent actor and the story works quite well. The brits know how to carry it out in their own dark and understated way.

I'm sure there's more. Looking forward to seeing what other films you guys mention

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Flice I totally agree, for me the acting HAS to be decent. If i can't identify with the victims or villians I get so bored i think "please kill them all so the movie is over" or i just turn it off. I guess some people like the shallow characters so they can focus on the gore, but I really need good acting so I can care about the characters, that makes the gore so much more rewarding.

That is what I absolutely LOVE about the Rob Zombie flicks, he adores his killers, and really focuses on the emotion in the various scenes. He understands that the best horror is about emotion.

He is a genius in my mind.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join