It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagen to Make Limited Edition of 1-Liter Car (282 MPG!) in 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Volkswagen to Make Limited Edition of 1-Liter Car (282 MPG!) in 2010

www.treehugger.com

VW's 282 MPG Super Fuel Efficient Car
The 1-Liter car has been around in prototype form since 2002 and greens everywhere have been drooling at its 282 miles per gallon fuel economy (or 1 liter of gasoline per 100 kilometers, hence the name). VW has finally decided to make more and sell them, and a limited edition (estimated in the thousands) should start selling in 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.carmagazine. co.uk
en.wikipedia.org
www.egmcartech.com
www.seriouswheels.com

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's kind of hard to believe that they've had this ability to be able to make a car that can get 282 mpg and are just NOW deciding to put it into production!

It's a small two seater car where the passenger sits behind the driver, so it's a pretty narrow car, but they say it's "as safe as a GT sports car registered for racing"!

They estimated price of the car when production starts is between $31,750 and $47,622. That's not as high as I thought it would be.

There's plenty of pictures of the car in the links provided in the opening post.

I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly larger version though, closer to the size of an average compact car. Even if it dropped the fuel mileage to 150 mpg, who cares?

www.treehugger.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's a couple pictures of the car.

Small, almost go-kart like!

Looks like two people and a briefcase would be a tight fit!

That's why I would like to see a slightly larger model, even if it causes a 150 mpg drop in the fuel economy, you'll still be getting 130 mpg!

But like the old saying goes, sometimes "good things come in small packages".

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
wow, but I don't think it will be a big seller.... but stranger things have happened...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaimless

It'll probably sell, but I would think there would only be a small market for a car this small.

That's why I was thinking if they made it a little bigger at the cost of some of the fuel economy, it would probably sell better.

This car would be good for commutes back and forth to work or to a friends house, but going shopping or going on a trip looks like it would be just a LITTLE too small for.

new topics

top topics

join