It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Obama's tax cuts hurts the poor

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
stereotyping people for any reason is ignorant, i do agree 250 k a year id be sitting pretty, but do you really think its all white people?

I think you all are pretty narrow minded, don't you realize that with 250K a year comes a lot of impress the neighbors. Do you think they would keep a couple making that kind of money to not live in about the nicest area. And what about college. For 250 K a year don't you think they probably went to some college like Harvard or Yale and still have outstanding medical bills?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Never once, in any way shape or form, did i say ALL white people are uppity and snotty

Im sorry that you are so desperate to try and attack me that you cling to ignorant attempts to call me racist. I forgive you.

Do try to pull back the wool thats been pulled over your eyes.

You can always u2u me if you need advice how to do so.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

This is so irritating, I am a single mom who made 20k last year and my son, yes, has worn some hand me downs. If they make ALL THAT MONEY and their kids are wearing hand me downs, than they are obviously spending massive amounts of money on some bull#! They are probably full of it and just don't like Obama, they probably love the Bush admin. because it's better for the wealthy, and they are wealthy!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

As Obama stated in his book - "If the political winds should change, I wll stand with the Muslims".

Jetxnet - no offense meant in any way, and I am not advocating a vote for either canidate with this post but please research your data. That quote is at best misrepresented and at the worst completely wrong - see below.

www.factcheck.org...

I first saw the quote in a forwarded anti obama email and after a ten second search proved it to be utterly ridiculous propaganda.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
So are you telling me that the quote:

I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction

Is NOT in Obama's book, "The Audacity of Hope"?

[edit on 7-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Jetx, click his link

or

Mine

they're both the same thing. Here's a snippit. It answers your question for you :shk:

No. A widely circulated e-mail fabricates some quotes from Obama's books and twists others.
Anyone looking for Barack Obama's real sentiments about whites, blacks and Muslims won't find them in this scurrilous collection of falsified, doctored and context-free "quotations." The e-mail claims to feature words taken from Obama's books, "The Audacity of Hope" (2006) and "Dreams from My Father" (1995, republished in 2004). But we found that two of the quotes are false, and others have been manipulated or taken out of context.

We have received many inquiries about this from readers whose suspicions were aroused, with good reason. Aside from the fact that the e-mail incorrectly cites the title of Obama's book as "Dreams of My Father," rather than "Dreams from My Father," you may have noticed that none of the quotes in this e-mail contain page references. This should be a sign to any reader that the author is trying to pull a fast one, betting that you won't take the time to read through all 806 pages of Obama's books to get to the facts.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
So, Andrew, what does that have to do with anything?

Is that quote in that book or not?

I don't want to hear the lame "taken out of context" argument - that is a cheap cop-out. Anything can be taken out of context.

So, is that quote in that book or not?

[edit on 7-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

well if you go read it, you'd find out

its spelled out, clear as day, in the link provided by both of us

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
What is spelled out in the link? I didn't see anywhere in that link or text where that quote wasn't in the book. It just claims it is out of context - a lame cop-out argument.

If you can show me it isn't in the book, then I stand corrected, but somehow don't think you will Andrew.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.

Sort of..... has a different meaning when you read the entire passage

Also - not only is it taken out of context, but is paraphrased and grossly truncated.

you are clinging to an already lost battle on this one

[edit on 7/7/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
So the quote IS in the book. I rest my case.

You can't take that quote out of context Andrew. It is a quote, word for word. No one changed it. Obama wrote it. Deal with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Okay. So he said he'll stand with Muslim Americans in the event that the "political winds" change in the same way they changed during WW 2 when Japanese americans were canned up and shipped off to concentration camps.

Because, if you'll remember, at the time of 9/11 this was an issue on a lot of people's minds

"will they ship off the arabs like they did the japanese"

Obama said

"if that happens, i WILL stand with the arab-americans"

Good for him

Shame on anyone who disagrees

Whats so bad about him saying this?

Why do i have to "deal with it"

I appreciate his stance on this. he's doing a good thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
reply to post by jetxnet

Okay. So he said he'll stand with Muslim Americans in the event that the "political winds" change in the same way they changed during WW 2 when Japanese americans were canned up and shipped off to concentration camps.

Because, if you'll remember, at the time of 9/11 this was an issue on a lot of people's minds

"will they ship off the arabs like they did the japanese"

Obama said

"if that happens, i WILL stand with the arab-americans"

Good for him

Shame on anyone who disagrees

Whats so bad about him saying this?

Why do i have to "deal with it"

I appreciate his stance on this. he's doing a good thing.

And you just basically admitted that you were wrong. You were trying to spin this in your previous posts, not answering Jet's question and saying "No no no it's taken out of context", and now with this reply you're saying "Okay, it's in there, so what?"

Nice, Andrew. You're doing a good job unraveling Obama's campaign all by yourself.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Show me where, once, i denied it was there....im curious

oh thats right - you CANT. I never denied its existance.

I said "go look for yourself"

You wreak of desperation like you took a bath in it early this morning.
I am not wrong. Obama is not wrong. But ultimately, since you accuse me of saying something that i never - once said - you are wrong

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
so you're telling me that its "wrong" of Obama to say that

"if the political winds ever shift in the way they did during WWII, to effect the arab-americans of today, like it effected the japanese-americans then, i WILL stand with Arab-americans"

You're saying that its wrong????????!

How

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

Either way we still have to support and deal with a trillion dollar war, you know wars are very costly specially when the war monsters like haliburton in Iraq and the oil barons America are hungry for money.

Yes dear, wars are costly no doubt, but so are Mortgage scams? The largest scam this nation has seen to date is the recent Home Mortgage scandal with several Democrat US Senators under investigation. More than 400 people have been indicted already.

The nationwide Countrywide Mortgage scandal has hurt this economy bigtime.

Obama has been part of major mortgage scandals in his Chicago district. Tony Rezko took the fall for him too though. They both benefitted financially tremendously. How else do you think Obama was taking in 4 million a year before running for President dear?

Now, the Gas cost problem is a global issue. Iraq has been free to do with their Oil as they wish. We have not used Iraqi Oil.

Bush and McCain are for domestic and offshore drilling to curb this problem that is hitting "your home", yet Obama is against it.

So, Obama is not for a solution, only alternative energies which he is heavily funded by energy companies for his campaign.

Does Obama really want you have it easier? Did you know Obama said that we should cut costs elsewhere like stop driving our Suburbans so much and eating less?

Does that sound like someone who cares about your quality of life dear?

[edit on 5-7-2008 by jetxnet]

Jetxnet once again... We discussed this mortgage "scandal" - Talked to my good friend at countrywide couple days back... Turns out Dodd and Conrad received V.I.P treatment - turns out VIP treatment is not illegal at all -- Countrywide has always practiced V.I.P treatment for high profile borrowers - movie stars - musicians - authors etc.. All V.I.P means is that countrywide covers all closing costs and fees. The V.I.P treatment is discretionary and it was in common practice for ages.
Finally it is the branch presidents and LO's who can request this and authorize this as a courtesy type thing ------ so I am sorry to say that this is hardly a scandal by any stretch (more of a reach)...

SO.... Ya funny thing I did learn is that countrywide is and has always been a conservative republican donating company. The founders and upper crust --
conservatives--- and the lobby firms they have a hand in are--- conservative!
I did not know this - but my buddy who does the LA pipeline and attends all the pipeline rundowns gave me the scoop... sorry
its just I think your barking up the wrong tree on this particular aspect of liberal evil ---
In fact it is a very money money money conservative institution-- Countrywide that is---
so now that you are better informed find a better battle line, one that doesn't involve and implicate your political views

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Why do liberals always get it backwards?

If you want to stop people from smoking, drinking, etc. What do you do? You raise taxes on the problem, to restrict the activity.

Let's look at the Economic Stimulus Package. The reasoning behind that was give people a tax break to stimulate the economy. Obama has recently stated he would be for another round of rebate checks. So I assume he thinks this works.

So wouldn't higher taxes on the rich be the government wanting to restrict their earnings? If you let them keep more of their money wouldn't it stimulate the economy more, like the stimulus package?

Rich people have the luxury of making adjustments. Tax them too high, they will adjust. If they own a business some of the adjustments could be laying off a few people, cutting hours etc. If they are self employed, what makes them stop working in August and start up again in January. That is a great 4 month vacation, and it prevents them from moving into an even higher tax bracket.

But what happens when you lower taxes? It gives them the incentive to hire more people, invest more into their business, work harder, make even more money. The net result is government revenue increases.

Who here has ever received a job from a poor person? So what sense does it make to punish the people that actually create the jobs?

[edit on 5-7-2008 by RRconservative]

Ya RR you've got it right if your a billionaire... I don't get you REDS at all on economics - really why do you protect the elite pockets so??? Your concept of taxation on vices such as alcohol and smokes is correct, proven and right on for sure

But your concept of low taxation on yearly income of the top earners is illogical!

The opposite has been proven with time throughout history. As it is I pay more taxes per dollar then a rich folk...

This is stupid because ALL OF MY MONEY is spent every month--

I should be paying much less taxes and big $$$$$$$ people should pay more !!!! ---

ALL my money goes to others,,, business owners, various company's, retailers...

All the money I spend is going into the pockets of a richer person--

so

the more money I have the more money they make

- the less money I have the less they makes less money in the economy for the rich people to shovel in!!!

I will point out there are probably thousands of people in my tax bracket to every one person in the higher and highest tax brackets.

Collective,,, the poor folks are consistently flooding more money into the economy because we spend every last dime!

And our money most certainly is going into the pockets of someone richer

Instead of $$$ getting stuck in a fund vesting!!!NOT circulating ---

What Reagan did with trickle down was very illogical if he ever intended to build our nations collective wealth--- I think his true intention was to favor the people he could relate to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ people.....

REAGAN has the worst economic track record in US history!!! Go and check any government source--- every indication of bad policy is evident in almost every graph/analysis ======

Check here notice the past 28 years since the trickle down BS concept came about--- Notice how WE faired with all the practitioners--R -B- B2 with this policy??? 20 years of trickle down and every-time we go down the tubes --

Its not coincidence if economic devastation happens that consistently-- these failures are obvious!

zfacts.com...

Now check out Eisenhower's record 90% taxation of the top 1% and REPUBLICAN

THIS POLICY --EQUALS -

AMERICAS ECONOMIC GOLDEN ERA -- THE FIFTIES -- 50's-- HOUSES AND CARS FOR ALL!!! GOOD JOBS < NEW ROADS AND COMMUNITIES!!!!

STOP VOTING FOR THESE IDIOTS WHO MAKE ME POORER AND YOU POORER --I"M POOR ENOUGH DAMN IT!!

[edit on 8-7-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here is a link to what Obama tax will do. Guess you could say it has pros and cons. However, I would like to remind everybody to not forget that the government will find other ways to tax to make up for the difference. However, nowadays they tend not to call it a tax. These are not just taxes from the fed but also from your state, county, and city.

taxfoundation.org...

www.walletpop.com...

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
while watching some of the posts and banter back and forth I have seen some good points and some bad points but one point I haven't seen iterated here is that the cost of living differs greatly through out the nation, for example 250K a year is not much money in California, here in the Midwest the wife and I could live very comfortably on 50 thousand a year we keep all of our debt to a level that is affordable on one 40k salary a year yeah we don't have all the newest most fun stuff hell my vehicle is nearly 16 years old..

That said we make a lot more than what we spend I am self employed and i work alone but if I get close to the 250k mark which is likely and these taxes are in place I will do as another member stated and take off for the rest of the year no reason to pay more for taxes that will be given to those that won't help themselves..

Just a little background I grew up very poor hand me downs and food donations from church and so on blah blah blah, I'm over it.. and if you decide you want to make it you will if you want to complain about not having anything instead of doing something to change it that's your choice don't expect any hand outs from me, I'll buy you a meal so you don't starve but I am not contributing to welfare... and that is exactly where these tax cuts will go

[edit on 7/8/2008 by geocom]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join