It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Obama's tax cuts hurts the poor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Most voters are aware that Barack Obama wants to raise taxes on high-income taxpayers if he's elected president in November.

But what does the Democratic candidate mean by high-income? Who'd be affected and how? While the Obama campaign must still settle on more details about their plans, outlines are starting to emerge.

Source

This may be old news to some of us - but CNN JUST - 5 minutes ago - aired a story, and i kid you not

Families who make more than 200k a year are being hurt he most.
They found a family (man and woman) with 3 kids, who owned a home, and together made 250k per year. They claimed their kids wear hand-me-downs, they 'did their own house repairs', etc etc etc and said they still struggle to make ends meet

I cannot believe the stupidity of this. 250k a year, and you "struggle to make ends meet"

typical "uppity" yuppy white people. Get off yourselves. They've never tasted desperation.

Give me a *snip*ing break.
I would love to make that much money. If i did - you can bet your sweet patoot i wouldnt make my future kids wear 'hand-me-downs'

This is - hands down - the worst 'anti-obama' propaganda ever conceived.

Give me a god *snip* break.

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Most voters are aware that Barack Obama wants to raise taxes on high-income taxpayers if he's elected president in November.

But what does the Democratic candidate mean by high-income? Who'd be affected and how? While the Obama campaign must still settle on more details about their plans, outlines are starting to emerge.

Source

typical "uppity" white people. Get off yourselves. They've never tasted desperation.

You might want to re-think that line.

Typical "white" people? Never tasted desperation? You're very ignorant.

Typical Obama supporter - underlying hatred of white people.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
stereotyping people for any reason is ignorant, i do agree 250 k a year id be sitting pretty, but do you really think its all white people?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Obama is proposing an increase in the tax rate for the top 3% of income earners. The middle class and poor would not be affected. This higher rate of taxation for the extremely rich was in effect in the 1950's and 1960's, when America enjoyed a period of prosperity and the middle class was much larger than it is now.

As it stands now, the middle class is paying the highest tax rate. Even Warren Buffet admits his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income in taxes than he does.

I'm white, but I still don't see how a family of four could "struggle" on $250,000/yr. I don't consider that "middle class." They should learn how to budget and pay their fair share of taxes.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hm, funny CNN is so upset about folks with 250K annual income when some details seem to be missing. Sure, they have a house, do repairs, have 3 kids, but do they also have a pool? Jacuzzi? How much land are they sitting on? Did they overextend their mortgage? What's their credit rating? There are other reasons than income that forces a family to struggle making ends meet.

I wonder if CNN considers (a) They are part of a greater evil, the Mass Media or (b) Most families don't even come close to making 250K per year. And seriously, what about the rest of us who live paycheck to paycheck? Sometimes you get the short-end of the stick, and sometimes you give it to yourself.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i should have been more descriptive, dodgygeeza

the people they interviewed were typical white yuppy people

and "ignorant" ? come on. Get over yourself

I'm white. you are ignorant.

I hate people who make 250k a year and say "i just cant make ends meet"

Fine.

*snip* you if thats your problem.

250k a year, and you're complaining?

THAT is ignorant.

They are typical yuppy whiney white people who think its the end of the world because they only make 250k a year.

THEY have never tasted desperation. THEY dont know what the "end of the world" is

If you disagree with me

then im afraid it is you who is living in "ignorance"

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Families who make more than 200k a year are being hurt he most.
They found a family (man and woman) with 3 kids, who owned a home, and together made 250k per year. They claimed their kids wear hand-me-downs, they 'did their own house repairs', etc etc etc and said they still struggle to make ends meet

typical "uppity" white people. Get off yourselves. They've never tasted desperation.

Give me a *snip*ing break.

Andrew, settle down for a second and take a breath.

I checked your source and none of what you described is there. Not one mention of a family, etc. The CNN story just stated the factual elements of Obama's tax policy.

Where are you coming up with this stuff?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reference the part past the source

This may be old news to some of us - but CNN JUST - 5 minutes ago - aired a story, and i kid you not

im still waiting for them to post the video

as christ as my witness they had this story. Its a fresh story, created today. it'll be up, im just waiting, soon as it is, ill post it

but this is the article they were discussing when interviewing the 250k family

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My family consists of two parents and three children

The total income is about $110,000 yearly (less than half of that "poor" family...)

We live very comfortably in one of the richest areas in the country. It was the richest a while ago, probably third or fourth now. I haven't worn a hand me down in years.

I look forward to having our taxes cut more than Bush or McCain would do under Obama's plan

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

reference the part past the source

im still waiting for them to post the video

as christ as my witness they had this story. Its a fresh story, created today. it'll be up, im just waiting, soon as it is, ill post it

but this is the article they were discussing when interviewing the 250k family

Sorry! I missed the part about it being on tv.

If this is true then it's looking more and more like TPTB used Obama to get Hillary out of the way so McCain can be their guy. I found it a bit suspect that Jim Johnson walked away the day after Obama met with Hillary, and the reason for him leaving was given as the contrived Countrywide "scandal."

This whole thing seemed so far off to begin with. Who could possibly have leaked the Johnson/Countrywide story so quickly? It's the most bogus excuse I ever saw for a guy leaving a campaign. And why with all the stories about Johnson and Countrywide, was there NEVER a mention made that Johnson is the CURRENT Vice Chaiman of Perseus LLC and that Perseus is partnered with George Soros?

All the stories were about Johnson being a FORMER head of Fannie Mae, and nothing was mentioned about his position at Perseus that he's held since 2001.

If CNN is really throwing Obama under the bus the system is more corrupt than I thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Why do liberals always get it backwards?

If you want to stop people from smoking, drinking, etc. What do you do? You raise taxes on the problem, to restrict the activity.

Let's look at the Economic Stimulus Package. The reasoning behind that was give people a tax break to stimulate the economy. Obama has recently stated he would be for another round of rebate checks. So I assume he thinks this works.

So wouldn't higher taxes on the rich be the government wanting to restrict their earnings? If you let them keep more of their money wouldn't it stimulate the economy more, like the stimulus package?

Rich people have the luxury of making adjustments. Tax them too high, they will adjust. If they own a business some of the adjustments could be laying off a few people, cutting hours etc. If they are self employed, what makes them stop working in August and start up again in January. That is a great 4 month vacation, and it prevents them from moving into an even higher tax bracket.

But what happens when you lower taxes? It gives them the incentive to hire more people, invest more into their business, work harder, make even more money. The net result is government revenue increases.

Who here has ever received a job from a poor person? So what sense does it make to punish the people that actually create the jobs?

[edit on 5-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
RRconservative, the problem is that the Bush tax cuts go to corporations who give plenty of jobs - unfortunately, those jobs are outsourced to countries like India where labor is cheaper.

Here's a nice graph detailing the problem:

It would be great to give tax cuts to those companies who would create jobs for hard working Americans - it's too bad Bush's trickle down economics didn't do that!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Andrew, that is at least he second White racist remark i've seen of yours within a week. It is obvious then, that you are Black.

Could that have any bearing on your taking to Obama?

Note that Obama has never known what it is like to be poor. He was raised by his rich typical White wealthy banker Grand Parents.

So your remark contradicts itself in that not only White people have had it well. Blacks surely have too.

It's the American Indians that get the worst of everything (i.e. Government programs)

[edit on 5-7-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
you show your own ignorance, jetx

i support obama and condemn yuppy white people

yeah - i must be black
because ONLY black people can condemn certain types of white people

i never said "all white people" and since you make that ignorant assumption, then i have to pull the BS card and call you on it.

I am not black. I am white. Not that it matters to me, but it seems to REALLY matter to you. :shk:

So your remark contradicts itself in that not only White people have had it well. Blacks surely have too.

How do you extract this? I never said there arent yuppy black people. I said "this is typical yuppy white people"

No where do i leave out the fact that it applies to other skin colors

but!
since this story is about a WHITE family, i use WHITE YUPPY PEOPLE

Edit: Insult removed.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

Andrew, that is at least he second White racist remark i've seen of yours within a week. It is obvious then, that you are Black.

Could that have any bearing on your taking to Obama?

Jetxnet, this is a common form of "White Guilt." White people feeling bad about the regrettable era of slavery, that they had no part of. They see Barack Obama as "The Magical Negro" (The Liberal LA Times called him that), a black man that they can vote for and take away the "white guilt."

[edit on 5-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the explanation RR. I've just seen that flammatory White rethoric from Andrew before, so thought he must be Black.

Andrew, it's like sometimes you talk of White people being totally different from you. Why would you degrade your race so much?

The debt to Slavery has been more than paid my friend.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
"white guilt"
"racist comment"
"you must be black"

Sounds like you two are scared of something

Or. *gasp* could it be that Obama's tax plan helps those who need it?
Are you insinuating that only black people make less than 250k per year?

I make less than that, and im positive you do too.
We'd benefit from his tax plan.

How this turned into a discussion of "race" i have no idea, seems like you two are just trolling and derailing a thread. Oh well, not much else you can expect, i guess.

Obama's tax cuts don't hurt the poor. They make people who make lots of money, pay their fair SHARE of taxes.

I dont care if they "pay more than me" in a lump sum

if they pay 10k and i pay 2k, but they make 1 million, and i make 58,000, they are not paying their fair share.

as a rouge estimate.

now keep the topic about the discussion, and leave your bigotry at the door.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

since this story is about a WHITE family, i use WHITE YUPPY PEOPLE

So the family happens to be White Andrew, it is you who made a larger issue of this? It's as if you are saying there aren't any Black Yuppy families out there. Only White ones who have never had it bad.

You made the White comment first, about being a White family. You picked this out specifically. Is is it not you then, who is being "racist"?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well taking into consideration that the Bush tax cut for the rich didn't do a darn thing to help my husband and me, I guess perhaps Obamas will make a difference on our income.

So hey, it can not get any worst than what we got right now at least for my family.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

How is it being racist to call them "yuppy white people"?

Im curious. Does it offend you? Are you, yourself "yuppy"?

Should i call them "yuppy purple people"?

There are the types of white people out there who think they have it "So bad" because they dont have _________(insert luxury item here)

just like there are black people who blame all their problems on white people

just like there are mexican people who swim to freedom in America

It would be different, and your statement would be correct

IF

I had said:

"Typical. Only white people act this way"

Sorry that you're so desperate to disprove me that you invent things and put words in my mouth, but its not working. Troll.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join