It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent sleeping, becoming a problem...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but here goes...

I have had a problem with sleep for some time now. I am restless to make a long story short and to put it mildly.

I am posting here because it is causing a problem for my significant other. I tend to hurt her in my sleep with my tossing and turning. (not to mention I also talk in my sleep)

I even once gave her a bloody nose by elbowing her. It's not just tossing and turning either. I am flailing my arms as if I was trying to strike something.

I haven't found much info on the subject that has been helpful, so I thought this was a good place to ask...

What's the deal here? And can anything be done about it?...

Thanks in advance...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Have you spoken to your doctor about it? It could be a variety of things, from sleep apnea, to night terrors...

A quickie solution may be the use of sleeping pills, to see if they give you a more restfull sleep, but I'd definitely consider asking the doc...and getting a sleep study done, to determine the problem...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There was a programme about this its to do with lack of sleep i think well thats what they said on the programme.Cant remeber the name of it tho

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This should be in BTS, but I'll add my 3 cents here:

I had this problem in my childhood. My brother and I would fight in our sleep. Looking back now, I believe it was from stress, physical and mental. If you were physically abused (... etc.) in your childhood, or suspect so, you may want to seek some kind anger managment. Even if you're not a violent person, such as myself. Excecising long and hard every (or other) day can work wonders.

I feel that if you use sleeping pills you're running away from a problem your going to have to confront later in your life anyway. Don't avoid it.

EDIT - LOOK at that! You got 3 high quality Mod responses in the space of 5 minutes! ATS is amazing!

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
This should be in BTS, but I'll add my 3 cents here:

I had this problem in my childhood. My brother and I would fight in our sleep. Looking back now, I believe it was from stress, physical and mental. If you were physically abused (... etc.) in your childhood, or suspect so, you may want to seek some kind anger managment. Even if you're not a violent person, such as myself. Excecising long and hard every (or other) day can work wonders.

I feel that if you use sleeping pills you're running away from a problem your going to have to confront later in your life anyway. Don't avoid it.

EDIT - LOOK at that! You got 3 high quality Mod responses in the space of 5 minutes! ATS is amazing!

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

Yeah and we all kknow i hardly post on ATS.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Look at this thread, it seems like it could be relevant:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminneman

You are right and now you have jolted my memeory
the programme was called Night Terrors.

Cheers for that link

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well...

I do seem to have sleep apnea. My girlfriend told me about two years ago that she noticed I would stop breathing in my sleep up to about 30 seconds at a time. So...

Plus, I am "haunted" by my past and all that mumbo jumbo. Unfortunately my past has made me a tempermental and angry person. I can tend to be violent when angered also. (though I have done a lot to curb my temper and my GF is never on the recieving end mind you). Also, unfortunately, I don't have a doctor. Too damned expensive as it is just living in this town

I read the original post in that thread.... No. It's not really night terrors. I am sure I would have heard about such behavior by now. My GF scares easily.

But I do have many fights in my dreams (kind of enjoy them). I lose a few I win most of them because (and you may not believe this) I can usually control the outcome of the dream.

My dream fights are usually Hercules/Matrix/Jackie Chan kinda things. Plus I usually enjoy my "nightmares." My dreams often play out like movies and I usually know I am dreaming while dreaming.

But something else on that sleep apnea thing. I am slowly noticing something else. Now bear with me on this...

I have problems with heart flutters and blackouts. Syncope in other words.

It started when I was 21. And since then I try to examine the events leading up to one of those episodes. Basically trying to narrow down what is causing it. Be it either heart related or sinus related. I fear it's heart related, however. I am noticing something else, which is very difficult to narrow down.

I think I am noticing that right before I get that "feeling," that I am not breathing. Like I stop breathing and not even know it. Like I said. This is very difficult to notice because the moment you focus on your breathing you will be controlling your breathing, so it's almost as if I have to notice it just at the very last second. I think I am correct in my assumption. Strange, no?...

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminneman

thanks for finding and posting this thread of mine, I was just getting ready to look for it.

I also wanted to let you all know, that my G/F has been terror free for the past 3 -4 months now.

She has started taking something to help her sleep and we both get a good nights rest !

I would suggest this to you, just try a little something to help you sleep at night, I think my gal takes , some sort of Tylenol ?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I had simaler problems in the night, sometimes my mom comes in my room to shut the tv late at night cause i leave it on while im sleeping and i lash out at her saying im going to kill u throwing punches and she runs away.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There are sleep clinics in major cities.

And, IF there's a lot of unconscious and/or unresolved anger or whateer that might be triggering such . . . sometimes talk therapy can be of help.

It may be that you just have to get twin beds.

Wearing boxing gloves to bed is about as clunky!

You can also learn to control your dreaming to some degree.

top topics

join