It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Survivalists.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

I would love to get involved and belong to an Aussie Survivalist forum, mostly with men. But I am not in the UK.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

Great thread, this is an awesome idea!

I'm Indigenous Australian, but I didn't grow up learning a lot about living and surviving in the bush, being born in the city and all. Lately I've been thinking a lot about it though, and that I should be doing more to learn it. Not only to help me survive, but because it's apart of my culture as well. Thankfully, my Nan and Pop know a lot about living in the bush so I can ask them and talk to them about it. I know they know a lot about seeds and things in the bush, it was apart of their job not long ago.

But yeah, my Uncle and Aunty go out bush a lot too, and they know how to cook Kangaroo and stuff, so they would definitely be a lot of help. My family is pretty close and I'm sure if there were a sit x, then we would all band together to help each other, and I have a LOT of family so it could be a pretty big group lol. And my Uncle used to be a bouncer as well, so that's good too.

My dad also has a few boomerangs and other things too like coolamens (to carry things in eg. food, a baby), he had a few spears before too but I don't know if he still has them.

I also thought I should post a link to this website I found not long ago. It's about this guy called Captain Chris or whatever, and he shows you how to defend yourself, even against people that are a lot bigger than you.

www.closecombattraining.com

Also if anyone's interested, there's a lot of websites around that give you info on cheap, natural and common food items you can use for your health, beauty, hygiene, cleaning, cooking and other things. Here's a few I've found:

Here's a link to making homemade toothpaste:
Homemade Toothpaste

Here's another link to a site where you can find recipes for how to make natural shampoo and conditioner. There are a lot of recipes for other things as well on this site too.
www.thriftyfun.com

This site is really helpful too:
www.fatfreekitchen.com

And another thing, a lot of essential oils that are used for aromatherapy can be useful as well. Like eucalyptus oil, it's very helpful if you've got a cold. Lavender oil can help get rid of headaches and help with muscular aches and pains. Lemon oil can help you if you have a cold and can also help when you have a nose bleed.

Another site to help, I just found it, it has some aromatherapy information:
www.earthchildpendants.co.uk

Hope this helps

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Okay, hold it with the female survivalist bashing will you. This thread is about female survivalists supporting each other so lets try and keep it that way please. They want some support, so lets give them that support.

For those in the UK, here are some survival schools:-

Hereford - www.uksurvivalschool.co.uk...
Nationwide - www.survival-school.org...
Scotland - www.survivalandsafetyschool.co.uk...
SE England - www.wildsidesurvival.co.uk...
Scotland - www.survivalschoolscotland.co.uk...
E. Sussex - www.raymears.com... RAY MEARS SCHOOL
Scotland - www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk...

Here is an Event that is happening soon:-
www.wildernessgathering.co.uk...

For getting together with like-minded people but in safety you could try:-
Archery Clubs
Rifle Shooting Clubs

Another suggestion is becoming an Instructor in the Scouts or Guides.

Or even try the Army, Sea and Air Cadets - You do not need to be ex-military or have any prior knowledge as this is taught to you by Regular Military Training Teams.

I hope that gives you a few ideas.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

First off just because something has been done one way doesn't mean it is the right way.
Second. If there is a guy holding a 357 at my head and a women holding a 357 at my head I am going to fear them equally. So you go right ahead and hold on to your prejudice. But you are in fact wrong. well your contemplating your error why not browse this web site of historical and present women leaders.
women leaders

All you have to do is open your eyes and do a little research. you live in a very small box inside a very big world there is more then just your way of thinking out there.

And what of the Amazons. Yes the nation of the Amazons was fictional. Sort of. It was based on fact as most myths are.

source for below

Scythia

Archaeological evidence seems to confirm the existence of Women-Warriors, as Sarmatian woman's active role in military operation and social life. Burial of armed Sarmatian women comprise about 25 percent of the military burial in the group, and are usually buried with bows.[10]

Russian archaeologist Vera Kovalevskaya points out that when Scythian men were away fighting or hunting, nomadic women would have to be able to defend themselves, their animals and pasture-grounds competently. During the time that the Scythians advanced into Asia and achieved near-hegemony in the Near-East, there was a period of twenty-eight years when the men would have been away on campaigns for long periods. During this time the women would not only have had to defend themselves, but to reproduce and this could well be the origin of the idea that Amazons mated once a year with their neighbors, if Herodotus actually intended to base this on a factual base.[10]

Before modern archaeology uncovered some of the Scythian burials of warrior-maidens entombed under kurgans in the region of Altay Mountains and Sarmatia,[11] giving concrete form at last to the Greek tales of mounted Amazons, the origin of the story of the Amazons has been the subject of speculation among classics scholars.

Now don't you feel silly. Na most likely not because Most prejudice people refuse to open there eyes and grow beyond the hate. Just next time please base your prejudice on fact before putting it on ATS.

(Man I cant spell today)

[edit on 6-7-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
Wishing, hoping, and saying women are equal in a survival situation doesn't make it so. Name ONE society that rose above grass huts when it was run by women.

Sweetie there are NO societies that were all female. See...nature has not made human females capable of asexual reproduction.

And yes, males (well in some socieities) are brilliant at inventing stuff. Truly they are great at it, most every technological invention throughout history is the product of the male mind. Women create life, men create technology.

But the difference is emotional...not a matter of i.q. In situation x there will be plenty of smart, educated women...and things will only go back to the old school ways of gender debasement after the education has worn off following a couple of generations.

Women are not subject to the bad effects of testosterone...studies have shown women can be quite vicious and will attack, but ONLY if they have the advantage (unless they have to, defending offspring and such). Whereas men get excited and jump before they think on many occasions, agitated males show an increase in testosterone, and it makes them far more willing to take dumb risks. Why? Cause males are not NEARLY as important to the survival of the species, 1 male can service 15 females and keep the bloodlines flowing. Nature does not worry so much about losing males.

Women know plenty about coercing males...they know how to look helpless, they know how to lower defences...initially before the affects of education wear off there will be many smart, manipulative women, and they will be very effective at controling the alpha males.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It wasn't my intention to turn this into a male vs female thread.

Nor was it to start an all-woman group.

Merely I thought to myself "I'd love to learn survivalism skills, but the thought of going into some isolated place with a bunch of males I don't know (even with some males I do know) where I was the only female would be rather intimidating to me." And I thought some women may feel the same, thus, getting in contact with each other could only be a positive thing. I don't think it's sexist at all, and I don't want to exclude males, just create some kind of community where women could discuss their ideas, and maybe meet up (with guys also) but to have the knowledge that thay will not be the only female.

I appreciate all the comments, but please, if you want to argue the difference between the sexes, start a new thread, because it is not the intention I had.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

now im not a survivalist because lets face it those people are a bunch of crazies. in all seriousness though ur intention was to unite females so when situation x happens, females would group together to help each other against those mean bad men, right? well i got news for you i dont think women work well together to be honest, there is alot of backstabbing involved and generally women don't power or strengthen each other's abilities as much when men and women are grouped together; its a symbiotic relationship in civilization building and defending. from what i experienced even women would admit this, is that women shine best when confronted with challenges presented by the presence of men as well as creative exchange of ideas. and maybe women can at times add some common sense to men who would rather shoot ask questions later.

and ya maybe men survivalists are scary who knows what they are at but why would females want to be survivalists anyway? americans live in the richest country in the world yet they still carry alot of fear from the unknown, and you guys distrust the government for some reason. kinda thinking about what the OP said i must say it would be crazy risk to place a woman among all those men, survivalists or not.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by DuneKnight]

Mod Note: Stay on Topic – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

Did you not read my last post?????

I was never talking about sitx, just learning some skills.

Yes, somewomen do backstab and suchlike, which is why most of my friends are male... HOWEVER... I believe that most women who are interested in survivalism, (I'm speaking for myself here) have more important things to think about than bitch about what each other is wearing and which eyeshadow best suits them. (Please note - I'm not saying they're not feminine, I'm saying they have different priorities from the stereotypical sex and the city type.)

I suggest you actually read through the thread.

I don't know how much clearer I can make myself.

This is NOT a debate about gender wars.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

alright alright i just popped in and said what i thought, overall i think its an optimistic idea and not realistic. not too many women want what you want, judging also from the few replies i read here. i think there are more things to worry about than surviving situation x. read a book, educate yourself do that type of thing thats what we need women for but grabbing weapons and building camp fire or something is not useful. you are preparing urself for something that might not even happen, probably wont. plus women can never fend for themselves anyway so one way or another a man would be vital. woman's body is too fragile to sustain nature's challenges because men and women are built differently so clearly they are highly unequal in strength.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Well, actually, I want to do such things because I really enjoy them and the challenge, not out of paranoia or fear.

When/if sitx occurs, and I can take care of myself, then that's a bonus.

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons as to why they are interested in survivalism, but, really, the outcome of working together and learning and... surviving is the common goal.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The point is she's not preparing for anything....?
Do you really not read what's being said?

She wants to get like minded PEOPLE (not just women) together and exchange/learn some things about camping and general wilderness survival tactics and have fun while doing it,leaving the troubles of her daily life behind. And any stigma/sexual discrimination you wish to attach to this is not welcome.

How do you know that there are no women in oxfordshire or the rest of the uk who are not interested?
Have you access to chewlips u2u account?

I suggest if you are not going to participate positively or actually read what the op is saying, then move along.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This started out as a good thread but turned bad fast! Some of you people need to go back to your caves and just shoot yourselves. If your smart enough to figure out how.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory
2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Jbird]

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

so basically all this is meant for fun? well there u have it, thats the main difference between men survivalists and women 'aspiring' survivalists. men take it seriously as hell and do believe that what they learn would be used extensively in the near future certainly not their idea of fun.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Actually i said the fun bit, not chewlip so that should be directed at me.
Why have you got to bash someone for trying to take an interest in survival?

Well, at least we know what you think anyway, thanks for that

[edit on 6/7/08 by blupblup]

[edit on 6/7/08 by blupblup]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
reply to post by Chewlip

now im not a survivalist because lets face it those people are a bunch of crazies. in all seriousness though ur intention was to unite females so when situation x happens, females would group together to help each other against those mean bad men, right? well i got news for you i dont think women work well together to be honest, there is alot of backstabbing involved and generally women don't power or strengthen each other's abilities as much when men and women are grouped together; its a symbiotic relationship in civilization building and defending. from what i experienced even women would admit this, is that women shine best when confronted with challenges presented by the presence of men as well as creative exchange of ideas. and maybe women can at times add some common sense to men who would rather shoot ask questions later.

and ya maybe men survivalists are scary who knows what they are at but why would females want to be survivalists anyway? americans live in the richest country in the world yet they still carry alot of fear from the unknown, and you guys distrust the government for some reason. kinda thinking about what the OP said i must say it would be crazy risk to place a woman among all those men, survivalists or not.

This guy is either completely ignorant or here to stir up trouble. Your best bet is to ignore him.

As for you DuneKnight, you need to spend some major time studying the information on this site before you spout off your opinion. Otherwise you're going to create a bad reputation for yourself and look like a complete idiot.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
This started out as a good thread but turned to sh!t fast!

Seriously it was pretty obvious this was going to happen. The only way to have avoided this natural turn of topic would have been for the op to have sternly stated what she did and did NOT want to hear in the original post (and even that would have only partly effective).

Actually I think it makes the thread more interesting to share ideas. The op has received many good ideas about survival schools and other things, so the thread served its purpose. I would like to see it keep going even if it does discuss general gender differences and survival issues.

And to be honest any woman that wants to survive sit-x, especially on her own, had best understand what she will face. Males, sexism, dangers, etc...with be a very big part of surviving. Some of the women have pretty clearly stated they have no clue how to deal with rogue males now, what on earth would they do when society fell apart?

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
reply to post by Chewlip

so basically all this is meant for fun? well there u have it, thats the main difference between men survivalists and women 'aspiring' survivalists. men take it seriously as hell and do believe that what they learn would be used extensively in the near future certainly not their idea of fun.

There is nothing wrong with women learning survival skills, and no limitation on what they can do. I would take out a group of women by myself and teach them what i know.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't mean to target any one person - but it is my opinion that some people have sadly misunderstood Chewlip's post.

Originally posted by Chewlip
I'd really like to go on a camping trip or something to learn/try out/test myself on whether i'd actually be able to survive. I've noticed a lot of males organising such things, and that's excellent, however, I'm a little hesitant about meeting a bunch of strange men from the internet and going somewhere isolated with them (no offence guys). So I thought starting a thread for females would be a good idea.

in all seriousness though ur intention was to unite females so when situation x happens, females would group together to help each other against those mean bad men, right?

Are the survial tactics that diffrent for the diffrent sexs? I mean, are you going to make tampons out of tree bark? Is that why this is for females only?

With all due respect to both genders in this thread, it is MY interpretation that Chewlip wanted to go on an all-girls "roughing-it" weekend, because as she stated, there are guys who do these sorts of things, so why shouldn't us girls go out and do it? I would LOVE it if we could (ATS Members, male and female) just get together for a week or two and practice stuff - but the fact remains - that not everyone on this website (as much as I like to believe it) is as Honest as they appear to be.

and ya maybe men survivalists are scary who knows what they are at but why would females want to be survivalists anyway?

So we can be prepared too. So we can contribute. The idea wasn't to exclude the guys so that we can plan a takeover of survivialist colonies, when the SHTF. I believe it was to hang out with some like-minded FEMALE survivalists for a weekend or so. The idea wasn't to SEPARATE men and women when the walls fall down... the idea is that
EVERYONE is prepared.

Anyone who thinks women are not capable of doing and taking care of themselves obviously do not think much of them and are quite ignorant of human nature in general.

Agreed. I have nothing more to add to that.

Men go on camping trips all the time - women - not so much. Mostly because there aren't many of us female survivalists around. So, why the heck shouldn't we be prepared too? Afterall, if we are all (both sexes) going to be in this together, we should ALL have the skills. Not just the Men. Its not about equality, it's not about sexism, and it certainly isn't about burning our bra's. It's about EVERYONE getting some practice and learning some new skills, so that we can ALL be prepared for Sitx.

Just some thoughts...

- Carrot

[edit on 7/6/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewlip
It wasn't my intention to turn this into a male vs female thread.

Nor was it to start an all-woman group.

Merely I thought to myself "I'd love to learn survivalism skills, but the thought of going into some isolated place with a bunch of males I don't know (even with some males I do know) where I was the only female would be rather intimidating to me." And I thought some women may feel the same, thus, getting in contact with each other could only be a positive thing. I don't think it's sexist at all, and I don't want to exclude males, just create some kind of community where women could discuss their ideas, and maybe meet up (with guys also) but to have the knowledge that thay will not be the only female.

I appreciate all the comments, but please, if you want to argue the difference between the sexes, start a new thread, because it is not the intention I had.

I agree with you 100% on this. This lady has came here looking for solid advice and help on a very important topic. Cant you guys drop your ego for just a bit and help this woman? No im not lashing out at the guys here either. I have an ego too but I know when and where to display it. This IS NOT the place nor is it the place to compare genders. As I stated before in my post, when it comes to survival some women will fail, some men will fail other will prevail. I know men who cant tell the difference between a cornstalk and a pine tree.

So with this in mind, lets stop comparing and move on to helping.
Chewlip if you are interested in starting a website with forums where you can invite others to join your effort let me know. I will be glad to provide the server space and site as well as help with keeping it up. In fact if you want we can do a partner site, this is something I have been thinking about for a few weeks now anyway.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
why all the hate? we are bouncing ideas off each other thats all. give it a rest bushweeds. all im saying lets not make false beliefs and lead women into thinking that they are capable of handling things that are obviously a long shot for them to achieve. im not saying all women are weak, thats far from it. i for instance aint a survivalist and in the woods alone i would die hungry, its a fact im willing to live with considering my circumstances as an urban citizen. but surely if women put their mind to it they might accomplish that however it would take twice the effort than men.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join