It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Echelon: Technical Details

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure most people on here have knowledge or have at least heard of the global surveillance system run by the NSA called Echelon.

I know how the system works (or at least have a rough idea). I know it works by monitoring the various forms of communication (Phone, Email, Fax etc) and flags "keywords" such as president, kill, poision etc this gets flagged for the attention of a human operator who deems whether the threat is seriously enough to warrant further action.

Now, question is, I speak on the phone using a lots of these "keywords" and make a lot of jokes that could potentially be misinterpreted, but I'v never had the cops pull up at my door.

So, how do they label me as not a threat? And every time I mention a "keyword" does my call get listened to?

Also, as I person in the Telecoms field I find it hard to imagine the technology and processing power nescessary for such a system to operate effectively? Does anyone have any details on the technological specs of Echelon?

I know theres a wiki article on the tech specs of the FBI's Carnivore system.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
you may find this link usefull www.techworld.com... i found it very interesting

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by satire111

Thanks for the link, sorry its took me so long to reply, I'd forgotten I made this thread! The link you posted was actually very interesting although didn't explain mucn in laymans terms, but I got the jist! Thanks!

new topics

join