It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new puppy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm being a litte harsh here, but if you didn't want your relationship to change you would let him piss all over the place. So, since you do want it to change, you gotta do something.

One idea, if you can stomach this, is to catch him peeing, and pick him up (he should stop, i hope) and take him outside. Say bad dog and all that as you're taking him outside. I guess that could work. Instead of hurting him you're startling him.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Well, I'm being a litte harsh here, but if you didn't want your relationship to change you would let him piss all over the place. So, since you do want it to change, you gotta do something.

One idea, if you can stomach this, is to catch him peeing, and pick him up (he should stop, i hope) and take him outside. Say bad dog and all that as you're taking him outside. I guess that could work. Instead of hurting him you're startling him.

I pick him up when I see him peeing, trust me, I can stomach that, i've held his poop in my hand before , which is way worse.

I pick him up and put him outside. But I have never yelled at him when I did that, or said anything but no.
He understands that word, I just gotta start being cosistent with no pee in house.

I'll start teaching him bad dog. I know my dad's dog knows when he's done wrong, my dad says bad dog everytime he does something wrong.

I just read somewhere that when you tell your dog bad, and yell at him he doesn't undestand right and wrong because he doesn't have a moral code like humans.

He only undestands what he can and can't do.

By this time since we take him outside to pee all the time and tell him pee, he should know this. He knows how to sit and give me his paws when I wipe them down. Why not pee outside?

It's like teaching him to chew on his toys not your socks, you replace the sock with a toy or bone and say good dog, instead of scolding him... This is along the lines of something i'm looking for to "correct" him so he doesn't # and piss all over my floors.

I really appreciate your advice, i'm still going to shop around until I figure out the best way to teach him, that is effective.

I never knew puppies were like little kids until I got one. Now I know for sure I don't want kids.. This guy is a lot of work! lol...

The quickest more effective method where he can grasp the concept right away is the one i'm dying to get my hands on, whatever that maybe.

My quest continues.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That's cool, we just got a new puppy as well, as our older dog died in December.

Here are a couple pics:

Now he's a few weeks older and bigger than in those pics...sorry to hijack the thread. hehe

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
When it comes to housebreaking, put newspaper over the urine and let it soak in, then leave it on the floor for him to learn to go there again...the smell will make him go again hopefully...whenever he does go on the paper, then praise him, and if not just say no and don't give any praise. Make the paper area smaller and smaller, and then move the paper outside and praise him when he goes outside and inside tell him No..then remove the paper from outside and he will hopefully learn to go out there

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Cute puppies

Originally posted by TrueLies
He's turning into a little monster with peeing everywhere and chewing things.

My Dog did that when we got him, but not the chewing part...he was calm, didn't chew anything,
though he started peeing on my favotite footon (turning it to a stinky plile of fome), peeing when he was happy,
when he met some one new and when he felt like it....and he was house broken! That was weird part!

But now that we had him for 4 years, he has calmed down....and (Thankfuly) doesn't do that anymore!

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Curiosity]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
LOVE THE PUPPY! Have you ever had a lab? They have tons of energy! My husband and I currently have four children... er... dogs. About three years ago, he brought home a Rott (we had two dogs at the time). A few months later I wanted a small dog to do agility and we got a Pom. That summer my step daughter got a lab and a golden so we had 4 "puppies" at the same time!

Don't rub your pup's nose in the poop or the pee. These dogs we have now have been trained with POSITIVE reinforcement. Instead, take him out when you get up in the morning (after eats, when he wakes up from a nap, or before bed) and use a phrase like "Go potty" or "Potty time" and they will associate the phrase with peeing. Once he does pee - praise him! (you catch more flies with honey than vinegar).

Another big thing is socialization. Labs usually love everyone but I have met a few with no manners. Both my Rott and Pom did puppy basic obedience training and it has really helped. Talk to your vet about finding a trainer. (If you want some time - u2u me. I'll be checking in and out all night).

Has he gotten his first shots? This is so important even for socialization. A puppy socialization period is the first 16 weeks of life. The problem is during that time they are suseptible to disease especially Parvo (which Labs, Rotts and Dobies are suseptible too). If you bring your puppy to PetsMart or Pet Co, you just need to be careful, especially in the grass. Parvo can live up to ten years in a yard. I'm only telling you this not to freak you out but we has a Parvo scare with the Rottie. Luckily, he had just had too many treats at class.

Anyway, I could go on forever. Hope this helps. And as Bob Barker says, "Always have your pets spayed or neutered!"

Good luck

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
BTW - I have no life and miss dog training.

This is my Poms website (which has not been updated).

www.geocities.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We've got most of his shots already he's 91/2 weeks and getting so big! We still need to get his rabies shots which are on the 23 this month. He's got everything else.

Yesterday when he peed I just took him to the spot, didn't hit him or scare him, just firmly told him no. He knows what that means, so after awhile he sat at the patio door and whimpered...
I told him good boy, and praised him all the way outside, while he was going pee, and gave him a couple treats.
Hopefully he'll do it today.
It's really cute, but last night I put him in his crate for bed, and he didn't want to go yet, we played with him for ahwile to calm him down and as I was sitting on the bed putting on my slippers he ran over to a blanket that was on the floor and just plopped down. I watched him for about a min and decided that he doesn't like his "bedroom" that much because there is just a little mat in there, so I took it out and folded the blanket he was on so it would fit in his room, and as soon as I did that he ran over to it and layed down to go to sleep. I combed his fur to fall asleep faster, which he did. It was the cutest thing i've seen him do.

I feed him eukanuba for large breed animals, his stool is healthy looking, however when I was training him yesterday i was giving him treats, and I think that made him constipated because he didn't go until 7am this morning.

Also I called a trainer yesterday for basic stuff and he sounded really unprofessional. I bought a dvd off amazon about positive training that should be here in a couple days. Everybody that commented on it said that video was just as effective as a trainer, so we'll see.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Shoktek,

What kind of puppy is that, I want one! We are supposed to be getting a second dog, and that one looks adorable!

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
ktpr is right, the bad dog method will stop them going inside in less than a week. (barring any little 'accidents').

You don't have to be violent, just be mean enough so he knows for damn sure you aren't happy at him for doing that inside. Let him outside for a walk and when he goes out there do the 'good dog'. Don't have to feed him, dogs (most dogs at least) are smart enough to figure out the difference in how your voice sounds. Combine that with 'bad dog' gets his nose rubbed in it, and 'good dog' gets pats, he'll figure it out mighty fast.

Other things (like 'sit' etc) are easier to teach with positive reinforcement. But you need to keep the 'bad dog' around to let him know whos boss. Other handy words for dogs to know are up, down, in, out, toilet, (as well as the generic ones, sit, c'mere, etc).

Add to that the ones they will figure out for themselves, 'bath', 'beach' etc. Dogs train real easy when they are young, use it up while you can!

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Let him outside for a walk and when he goes out there do the 'good dog'.

But you need to keep the 'bad dog' around to let him know whos boss. Other handy words for dogs to know are up, down, in, out, toilet, (as well as the generic ones, sit, c'mere, etc).

Another method is having more than one name, such as a good name "rover" and a bad name "dingo". Then, whenever it does something wrong...it doesn't hear bad dog "rover" which is confusing in a positive negative way. By having a separate bad name, they learn to understand quickly.

Better than the any nose smacking, try rolling them over, looking right in the eyes and growling the bad name repeatedly. Make them have full eye contact. That is a dominance method that works 100%.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Shoktek,

What kind of puppy is that, I want one! We are supposed to be getting a second dog, and that one looks adorable!

He is a shetland sheepdog. They are from scotland, and related to collies--look the same, but are smaller and have more personality. They also have herding instincts, and are great watch dogs and family dogs.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I went to puppy training class. Do not put your dogs nose in the pee or poop. You want to use possitive reinforcement. Take him outside when he wakes up. Again in the middle of the day. Then again after he eats dinner. This is just a basic guideline on how many times you should take your puppy outside to go to the bathroom. Some dogs may need to go more so it really depends on the dog. When he goes to the bathroom outside keep on saying good potty or something like that. Give him a treat the second he is done going to the bathroom. Your dog will realize this is a good behaviour and that he should go to the bathroom outside.

When you see your puppy pee or poop inside, imideatly take him outside. Do not say anything or have emotion when taking him outside. Dogs like attention from humans and they will think of this as a bad experience. When you get your dog outside, if he is still going to the bathroom praise him. Only when you get him outside though.

It is a really good idea to have a leash on your dog while he is in the house. If your dog does something he is not supposed to you do not want to touch him because they think of that as attention. If you have the leash you can just grab the leash and without emotion bring him to his time-out spot. In his time out spot your dog should not be able to see people.

If you need any more help just send me a u2u.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join