It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My new puppy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

We got hm last week and he's grown so much since then. He's turning into a little monster with peeing everywhere and chewing things.

We bought bitter apple for him and sprayed it almost everything, he doesn't chew cords, and stairs, and other things now, but he pees everywhere!

We got him crate trained so he won't pee in there, but he's not house broken so goes where he feels like.

Anybody have any advice? What did you do with your dog? he's 9.5 weeks so far.

peeing is not cool , but luckly they have petastic which takes away the smell and the stain, not to mention coffee stains and grape juice! it's awesome stuff, but i'd rather him communicate with us when he has to pee, not just go.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thats 1 cute puppy is he a retriever?

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Thats 1 cute puppy is he a retriever?

yes he is, pure choc. cute dog, one little monster though! Don't let looks decieve you lol

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My parents own 2 retreivers and a Beagle is if i have time and can find a pic i'll upload it.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
My parents own 2 retreivers and a Beagle is if i have time and can find a pic i'll upload it.

cool. ask him how they house broke them. 3 dogs are a lot of work! I admire them. I have just one and he's pissing me off, although I can't yell at him, I have to keep it inside.. thank god for tae boe. His name is Mulligan btw.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well they didnt get them all at the same time, my mum had plenty of time on her hands,they have had them for aleas 5 years i guess my mum only trained the retreivers
my dad trained the Beagle (not very well though)

Bradley=Beagles name
Wilson and Baxter=Retreivers name

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
haha thats funny, bradley and wilson... That was my ex boyfriends name... He's a toad..

I'm sure those dogs are cute tho! Make sure post em. I turned into such a dog lover.

I actually started paying closer attention to the dogs in our neighbourhood, called the rescue team on one because they didn't have a collar on him and he had a lose piece of skin dangling from his backside. He was digging through garbage cans on garbage day, they let him run loose thorugh the street.s

Go figure it was a fat lazy bitch, I saw her driving past me the other days stuffing her face with a burger.
I hate people like that.

Some people just wanted dogs to have one, and then push it aside when they don't want anything to do with them.

There was another dog tied to a tree with only 3 feet of rope. In the front yard!
Nothing like taking your dog for a walk. Lazy #ers.

There was another dog who was outside in the backyard, and their yard was filled with garbage...
I'm freakin cuz these people are so ignorant and lazy aorund here it makes me sick:shk:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Aww... I'll have to upload a pic of my new chihuahua puppy, she's so cute! And is great company for her big sister (from another litter, but same mom and pop)....

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Gaz,

is she house trained yet? if so, how did you get her to stop PEEING everywhere!

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Gaz,

It takes time

The best method is to at first put newspaper where the dog pees.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Gaz,

That is a very good looking dog!

Now, opions are like a-holes everyones got one, but I will give mine anyway.

You need a Cage, The most animals wont piss or # where they sleep. So the the key is to assosiate the door of the cage to the door of the house. When you are gone in the day, in the cage, when a sleep in the cage. Anytime your not home in the cage. As soon as you get , or get home whatever, take outside. NEVER use negitive punisment.

Make sure you feed him A "good" food. the better the food the less byproduct,(poop). Nothing from the local grochery store.

I hope I was some help.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Gaz,

That is a very good looking dog!

You need a Cage, The most animals wont piss or # where they sleep. So the the key is to assosiate the door of the cage to the door of the house. When you are gone in the day, in the cage, when a sleep in the cage. Anytime your not home in the cage. As soon as you get , or get home whatever, take outside. NEVER use negitive punisment.

Make sure you feed him A "good" food. the better the food the less byproduct,(poop). Nothing from the local grochery store.

I hope I was some help.

Errm cant agree with the cage part tho if you lock it in a cage it will become more more restless
Maybe a small empty room but definately not a cage.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Errm cant agree with the cage part

Im not asking you too.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yeah i know you're not.
Maybe i should have said something like
"I find that leaving a puppy in a confined space is not a good......"

Sorry Cobra

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by drunk]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well I had a dog. What I did was this:

If the dog takes a dump in an uncool place, I rubbed her nose in it. I then said "Bad dog." Then I took her outside and let her walk around. I made sure she saw me cleaning up the crap, so she knew I wasn't happy cleaning it up. I exaggerated my motions, etc.

Same thing with a piss, except I just said bad dog. My dog's pretty smart (had to give her away
) so she picked up that I didn't like her going to the bathroom around the house. So what did she do? She went to bathroom in my bathroom!

That threw me a curve, but I thought about the philosophy behind it and decided to put down some newspapers. That worked. But after awhile, taking her out every day, often several times a day, was enough.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
SpttinCobra,

We put his crate in our room so he doesn't feel abandoned, and i'm home all day so it's not a problem of leaving him in his crate, I put him in their when he is tired so he knows thats where he sleeps. It's like his bedroom, that is now his comfort zone,and he knows not to pee in it.

But when i'm downstairs on the main floor he is too. And this is when he pees everywhere! I grab him when I catch him to bring him outside because he can't walk down the stairs he's too small yet.

I read it's bad to rub their nose in it, my dad did this to his dog and it just teaches them to be afraid of you.
I'm hearing all this positive reinforcement training, but to house break your dog??

How the hell do you do that?

He whimpers in his crate when he has to pee or poo, but down here he thinks this whole area is just a nice place to potty wherever he pleases.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hey, that's a real cute dog you got there TrueLies.

I've had many in my life, the key to training them is really to be patient. Yours is still young, he need time to learn.

Maybe rubbing his nose in it isn't good, but he have to know that you are angry at him when he do something bad. You have to either yell at him or give him a little spank, I know dogs usually gets affraid of rolled news paper, and you don't need to hit 'em hard.

There need to be some kind of punition, else it'll be really long before he learns.

Good luck with your puppy, he's adorable.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Hey, that's a real cute dog you got there TrueLies.

I've had many in my life, the key to training them is really to be patient. Yours is still young, he need time to learn.

Maybe rubbing his nose in it isn't good, but he have to know that you are angry at him when he do something bad. You have to either yell at him or give him a little spank, I know dogs usually gets affraid of rolled news paper, and you don't need to hit 'em hard.

There need to be some kind of punition, else it'll be really long before he learns.

Good luck with your puppy, he's adorable.

thanks... ill try the newspaper thing i just wasnt keen on punishing the dog. im more in favor of correction... but with house breaking its difficult.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"I read it's bad to rub their nose in it, my dad did this to his dog and it just teaches them to be afraid of you. "

They're afraid of you when they realize they did a bad thing. That's the key. That way they won't crap all over the house. You can't get a dog to love you so much it won't go to bathroom in the house. This is because it can't figure out the distinction between positive reinforcement and no reinforcement. (edit- hell, most men can't figure out the difference) You need the othe side of the equation, which is negative reinforcement.

And Im just talking a little rub. Nothing violent.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
that makes sense. it's crazy tons of web pages tell u not to hit your dog on the rear end because the trust bond between the dog and man is broken, he learns to fear you, and then he becomes timid and develops a complex.

He peed today and I showed him the spot and told him no pee in the house.

I took him outside after and he just scewed around, he came in 20 mins later, and peed again!
told him to pee did the same thing...

I guess i'll have to give em a swat on the butt witha paper then, just to scare him? i dont ever want to hurt my puppy, I can aleady tell im his buddy and he's attached to my hip. I don't want to hurt our realtionship any, he's the sweetest dog ever, such a cutie!

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by TrueLies]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join