It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athens Olympics:What Will Happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Trying to keep ATS well ahead of the curve here.

5 months to go before the Summer Olympics kick off in Greece in what has to be one of the biggest security headaches of all time.

This Games proves to be extremely symbolic in the current international climate.Greece ,as everyone knows, is the home of the Olympics but many forget that one event especially could have other significance.The Marathon,named after a famous battle where the Greeks defeated the Persians.The Persians were not then Muslim of course but the great power of the Persian Empire from 500 BC onwards is still celebrated and shown as an example of the regions cultural supiority to Northern Europe and the USA.

Geographically,Greece is on a cultural faultline with some of the most porous borders in the EU.Add to this the numerous quiet or even uninhabitted places from which short and medium range missiles could be fired from and you start to see what I mean.

All things considered an Olympic Games in Greece at this time must be a tempting target.

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Good topic.

BTW are greece going to finish it all in time?

Last time i had a read about it they were having major headaches with it all, such as worker strikes, rust, construction messes, and the like.

The olympics of any year are always a target for terrorism, but it's always usually good.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
What will happen? I imagine a lot of people from different countries will run, jump, throw, and do many other things, some of them will win medals, many will go home disappointed, and maybe someone will attempt a terrorist attack. But hopefully not.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Knowing the greek life-style a bit I can imagine that the most dangerous threat to the games are the greeks themself

- I don't fear any terrorism there. It would be just too offensive to all countries all around the world.
Olympia is respected even by dictators - remember the Olympic comittee led by Kusai
- seriously now. It has unreached respect all over the world.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Nothing will happen, just your usual boogeymanning by me and others on ATS.

I do predict British triumphs in all fields, leading us to be crowned the greatest nation ever.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo
Knowing the greek life-style a bit I can imagine that the most dangerous threat to the games are the greeks themself

- I don't fear any terrorism there. It would be just too offensive to all countries all around the world.
Olympia is respected even by dictators - remember the Olympic comittee led by Kusai
- seriously now. It has unreached respect all over the world.

a terrorist attack on the olympics be a great way to bring the whole world into the war on terrorism...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
What will happen must be on the minds of people now, with the bombing of the police stations and the increased violence in the middle east.

Options for bets...

1 No attacks
2 Attacks thwarted during during operation
3 Attacks tharted in the background
4 Attacks successful

I think that definitly 3, and maybe a 2.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I hope it doesn't happen, but i think...
1 Major countries will boycott due to security concerns, and the game's
will be a 'psuedo olympics'. OR
2 The Olympics will be cancelled.

After i consider the current world situation Today, i really don't think
that al-q or any other group would think, maybe we should not
commit this atrocity because it will affect our opinion poll.
Sanc'.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Sorry double post
d'oh

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by sanctum]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
They won't be as good as the first games of the millennium in 2000, for organisation, spectacle, sporting drama and emotion.

Some folks here (including me) are too young to remember the terrorist massacre at the Munich 1972 Olympics.

There is no reason for nations to boycott these games, but there is reason for athletes to make choices about personal security. Imagine the recption that Iraqi athletes will receive in the Openeing Ceremony.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If the 2004 Olympics are cancelled, it would be a major blow to the western world. They should not be cancelled, at all costs.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Scary thought,..with the situation the way it is, I think there will probably be an attempt. .. I hope not. It would be a way for them to delivery a powerful message. I hope security is up on all borders. including the waterways...

new topics

top topics

join