It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry if I'm out of line here but...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Howcome a post can only contain a maximum of 4000 characters ?

With the topics of discussion here on this forum debate is guaranteed to happen and with only a 4k character limit it means that debate in posts will be short especially when you reply to a rather informative post & need to quote separate parts to have your counter points aired.

Anyway sorry if it's already been asked or I wasn't supposed to ask this but just curious or if there's anyway to increase the character limit ?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
By posting more you increase your limit.

Standing at 10,000 here personally..

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Oh thanks for the information do you know how many posts you need to make it increase like 100 posts = 1000 more or something ?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
By posting more you increase your limit.

Standing at 10,000 here personally..

Yeah Im at 10,000 too.....not sure when I reached that though or why you have to post more to get more characters

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is an OLD outdated thread about post counts www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope that helps

WUK

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Or simply reply to yourself.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I do that a lot these days..

I really must see someone about that.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

NO, no, and no! Replying to yourself is verbotten. Besides, do you want us tinfoil hats to be seen as crazy?
We have it bad enough as it is.

Seriously, just post as normal in board conversations. You'll have enough posts for U2Us in no time, and your limit will increase along the way. Best of all, you'll slide into the community here without coming on like some demented streetcorner prophet. Don't you hate people who come into an ongoing conversation and try to just take it over by talking a mile a minute?

Take your time, it's the journey that counts, not some destination.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Or simply reply to yourself.

Just continue on in another post.

New Post Character Count Restrictions

If there is a 'new member' poster who would like to 'say more' than 3000 characters can carry, it is an easy enough matter to simply make another post in addition to the first.

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Or instead of replying to yourself or making another post, just don't bother posting anything in the first place.
If it is that important for the world to know then and it is about something important and relevant and not just an audition for worlds crappiest author then I along with a lot of others will back you all the way if you need to use ten posts or a hundred posts to get your message accross, as long as it isn't bull or a hoax.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I think I am at 6500 right now. So I post often. I think it is because ATS wants to know that we are serious about what we have to say, and why we are here. And I admire that, we prove our worth here and don't just chat away.

Just post more than one post. A debate doesn't mean taking turns, well it does, but not necessarily your turn, my turn, your turn... A debate is a statement of what one is defending and you may say two things to everyone of somebody elses. But remember, just cause you say more doesn't always mean your rightf!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Or you could just keep quiet, not complain, not post anything, not risk anything, and not contribute to the site through a matter or priciple that you believe restrictions of this nature are wrong.

Just a thought, but what if from now onwards if everyone who runs out of space to put their thoughts etc. in one post just doesn't bother making that post at all.
I wonder what would happen then, would someone who has something groundbreaking to tell us all go and break the story on another site that doesn't offer any restrictions and perhaps make that site famous.
Or what if people find that they have a lot to say about something and are forced to make multiple posts, will we and up with the first five posts of every thread being taken up by the original poster?

I love these what if scenarios, especially when either way someone loses out.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Ah.....!
It's the American way, equality and freedom is only an illusion. Once we deem you worthy then you will have privilages, BUT NOT BEFORE !

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

Reminds me a bit of a line in Animal Farm by George Orwell:-
"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

Oh and to Discotec, i would suggest you follow the advice in your signature regarding certain people while you are here.
Not all standard members have the same amount of influence here as certain others do.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by smokey101]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
As the question has been answered...Thread Closed.

Please refer any further questions to the above linked post in whatukno's post.

Thank you.

top topics

join