It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone explain how the US got this bad?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Just seems to weird that we are this far down the hole and this wasn't planned out.Did Bush do this?Just random this happened?All these recent wars?The 90s was goodtimes and then 911 hit.Just exactly why did the us economy and our lifestyle get so bad in the last 8 years?

[edit on 4-7-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't know why man, but you've got me wondering who is benefiting from it because you can sure someone is.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

my guess is...it's gonna get worse and it's part of the plan if you ask me.

soon you will be so desperate that you will accept whatever they offer just to feed your family or whatever. there is an agenda to ruin this country and it has been going on for a long time.

i believe Ron Paul was just recently warning about this

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Who is out to ruin the country though and what are they gaining by doing it? What do you see as the long term objective?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
We come from being one of the richest and and only superpower...to people think its going to become a third world country?It's actually a nightmare scenario.Yeah Bush was in office when this all went down.People point the finger at a leader...for they control the country and trade of the world.

Seems 75% of American blame Bush for the economy.

75% blame Bush's policies for deteriorating economy

Politics – Three out of four Americans, including large numbers of Republicans, blame President Bush's economic policies for making the country worse off during the last eight years, according to a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll released Wednesday, reflecting a sharp increase in public pessimism during the last year.

You know we can blame Bush for the war in Iraq.

Bush takes responsibility for invasion intelligence

www.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- On the eve of Iraq's historic election, President Bush took responsibility Wednesday for "wrong" intelligence that led to the war, but he said removing Saddam Hussein was still necessary.

"It is true that much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong," Bush said during his fourth and final speech before Thursday's vote for Iraq's parliament. "As president I am responsible for the decision to go into Iraq. And I'm also responsible for fixing what went wrong by reforming our intelligence capabilities. And we're doing just that."

So why would people in his cabinet....or congress allow these bad decisions?

[edit on 4-7-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's called the shrubmeister w and his regime. And the previously honorable men and women that got sucked in to the Iraq train ride to hell. i.e Colin Powell.
We saw the pointers and the trailer chemical factories, scared into submission by bogus claims.
Most everyone bought the chinese yellow ribbons hook line and sinker.
Mission accomplished. The rape and perversion of the American economy.
Oh yea, went to store for cigarettes this afternoon, counted 7 new 'for sale' signs in a 3 block area.
What recession?!

[edit on 7/4/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
To me, I see it as the "government" is #ing us over. They are trying to show their "Power of fear" amongst everyone. At the same time they suck the economy down with it. Most of them do not understand what it's like being a citizen without alot of money. And if they have, the money got to them. This is just my theory on what's going on. Relating to 9-11, it could of have been government planned to scare our people and try to force "patriotism" so they don't look like bad guys. Before the whole incident, patriotism had seemed to be dropping. If this happens, it scares the government into thinking a revolt will happen(Similar to the Revolutionary War where people fought their government for it's own freedom and beliefs. History is due to repeat itself).

With the power and money they control, citizens are too afraid to stand at mass and return "for the people, by the people"(Not sure if said right) to our government and not money hungry fools.

I'm not pushing my thoughts and opinions to anyone. This is just the perspective I see this all at. The past 10 years, the US is just going downhill.

So many secrets, so many lies, and we are expected to trust these people.

And how they control gas to drop the economy.....well that's a whole other topic.

Is there a graph or chart somewhere online that shows the economy's status changes of the past 20 years or so??

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
You have a lot of history to learn my friend. The 90's were not "good times", the USA was wrapped up in the gulf wars. We had the staged Oklahoma city bombing which accelerated the federalizing of the police and cracking down on patriot groups and militias. The staged Columbine shootings paved the way for increasing anti-2nd amendment sentiments and laws.
The US public have been incrementally eased into this current state of affairs. It did not happen suddenly, although some major events certainly stand out as catalysts.
There are a multitude of events throughout the last century that have lead up to today.
I got into reading about history through Richard Maybury's books that explain the details we don't hear in mainstream media about the US role in wars of the last century and how it affects the economy as well. I highly recommend them.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I bet I will catch a lot of heat for this but here goes. I don't think we can continue to blame the Government for the state of affairs. Our Government is supposed to work for us, the people. We have taken an extended vacation and expected our unmanaged Government to be the same as when we left. Our Government has done what every other Government in the history has done, work to obtain more power. It was up to us to keep that in check and we have failed. The people have become complacent.

Now I need to go grab some potato chips and go back to watching TV...

[edit on 4-7-2008 by harvib]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Similar things have happened in the past.Not much worse not much better.Its really no different except some people didn't notice them in the past.Younger people for example didn't notice past financial problems.They weren't alive during past wars.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib

I bet I will catch a lot of heat for this but here goes. I don't think we can continue to blame the Government for the state of affairs. Our Government is supposed to work for us, the people. We have taken an extended vacation and expected our unmanaged Government to be the same as when we left. Our Government has done what every other Government in the history has done, work to obtain more power. It was up to us to keep that in check and we have failed. The people have become complacent.

I agree. But I also admit the last two administrations have been power hungry, omitting the people as part of the package.

Somewhere the people we gave authority to forgot they are charged with responsibilities and duties to protect the citizens and their rights.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I am unsure what you mean by "this bad". I believe that's a matter of personal perspective. However assuming you mean wealth distribution and BASIC abuses of power and privlage, the answer is simple.

This is the end product of unchecked capitalisim run amuck. Greed and self desires.

Monkey SEE Monkey Do!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Incarnated. I'm not sure if you live in your parents baement or not, but thousands of Americans in suburbia and metro are exhausting charitable food pantries at an alarming rate and going homeless. 600k jobs cut just last month.
Is that coffee I smell?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Nope, I moved out when I was 18. I WORKED! I was the guy you give slnit to when you pick up your lottery ticket. I'm the guy who pumped your gas when you didn't want to get out of your car because the winter cold was too brutal. I'm the guy that unclogged the tolets you stuffed up for fun. I'm the one that scraped your # off the walls. I didn't have a car, I walled or took the bus. I ate "american" cheese sandwhiches on wonder white bread for weeks in a row because all I had to eat on was 15 dollars. No one ever gave me nothing, outside a extreamly little help from my government. And out of all that I did alright. Why? Because I lived within my means.

Life, it's not about keeping up with the joneses. It's about waking up and breathing air. Maybe you should take a drink of that coffee and wake up. Whinny slugs make me sick!

I got where I am now from the sweat off my brow and some blood to boot. No one ever gave me chance. I made it here without stepping on anyone and without stabbing anyone in the back.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
While you are busy scraping stuff, try reading current events for a change. Things are not rosy for very many.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hugeflail
I don't know why man, but you've got me wondering who is benefiting from it because you can sure someone is.

Wealth is never destroyed. It's just redistributed. So yes, somebody is benefiting hugely from this.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

People are always so selfcentered. Compair your lives to what it was like 100 or 200 years ago. Anyone with time enough to waste online and a computer to do it with hasn't got much to bitch about.

2012, haven't you heard?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
You have a lot of history to learn my friend. The 90's were not "good times", the USA was wrapped up in the gulf wars. We had the staged Oklahoma city bombing which accelerated the federalizing of the police and cracking down on patriot groups and militias. The staged Columbine shootings paved the way for increasing anti-2nd amendment sentiments and laws.
The US public have been incrementally eased into this current state of affairs. It did not happen suddenly, although some major events certainly stand out as catalysts.
There are a multitude of events throughout the last century that have lead up to today.

add to your points the 1999 repeal of the Glass-Steagel act, see: www.bizjournals.com...
which together with the Greenspan fed fund rate has brought about the economic collapse (Toxic derivitives/housing bubble/credit crunch/devalued dollar/increasing inflation) we are just beginning to feel/suffer .
Pax Americana,

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This list is not all inclusive, nor in any specific order-

1) Apathy
2) ignorance
3) some welfare - resulting in modern day slavery
4) entitlement attitude
5) arrogance
6) selfishness
7) unprotected national borders
8) huge out of control government
9) people expecting the government to solve all of their problems
10) federal reserve
11) uncontrolled government spending
12) activist judges who legislate from the bench
13) The slow transition of government of and by the people to our current state of government TO the people. There is no "consent of the governed any longer.
14) Loss of morals-Hollywood

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Hugues de Payens]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Sorry i just read this thread,and am confused.So america is bad all of a sudden?Wow i didnt know that,Looking at everywhere else i thought we where doing pretty good,guess i was wrong.Mabey ill move to africa,or the middle east....mabey ill go to a communist county..Are those the "Good" nations?
Its so hard to make up my mind,so i think ill log on to my computer,or watch tv,or go for a walk in the park..After i have a big meal,and a few beers.....
Ok that was great ,i liked the beer the best....wonder if africa is nice this time of year.
Could the OP of this thread mabey name what countrys that are the "good" ones.To help me dicide where we should all move to of course.
Guess im under the false impresstion that we are one of the more freeier nations. mabey put a list of all the countrys and rate them for me ?

eh ill just sit in my AC, in my lazyboy,watching "house" and wait for the OP list so i know where the "good" countrys are.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join