It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heating costs.....plan now.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Up here in Ontario, Diesel which is basically furnace fuel is $1.35 + per liter
which equals to $5.12 per gal. for heating fuel. That's today's price.

Away from the cities, it's oil, propane or wood. It will all go up. You think wood is cheep? Supply and demand will drive prices like all things needed.

So it's a heads up...NOW... for your budget. It's past mid year and time waits for no one.

I've been caught short a few times and winter cold has no mercy.

C ya

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well as long as the electricity is on, those little electric oil filled heaters can make a huge difference cost wise. Think small, instead of trying to heat up all the rooms limit your space and heat up the bedroom/main living space (and keep the water dripping so the pipes don't freeze). I realize in areas where it gets really really cold it is a bit harder.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Where I live, which historically has been a very self-sufficient sort of place, the vast majority of people cut their own wood. It's not uncommon for a family to have a couple of winter's worth of wood piled up behind the house. It's certainly hard work, but it pays off.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I hear the corn pellet burners rock. Without need to vent. (I think).
I'll put some masonry in the corner of the bedroom and keep the heat on 46 so the pipes don't freeze.
Natural gas is going to be insane this winter. I think I'm contracted in for a two year deal with columbia though.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Simple solution.
www.principalliquidators.com...
Try that.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It is certainly a good idea to reduce relience on electricity for heating due to rising electricity prices and the possibility of power failure .

If local council regulations permit you to and you can afford to do so have a log burner installed in your house . Other then buying wood possible sources include friends and neighbours who have cut down trees and areas where your local council has cut down trees and not bothered to clean up the mess . Another possibility is to look out for a coal range that some one no longer wants . Then you would be able to cook and heat your place with the same device .

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Maybe we live in a similar area. I know people with 2 years worth stacked in sheds.

new topics

top topics

join