It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independance Day 2008 - to all of my fellow Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I just wanted to take an opportunity to wish everyone out there a happy Independance Day.

Today I feel is one of the most important days of rememberance and reflection for us all. It is a time to devote to family, country and love of freedom.

A lot of back and forth debate takes place day in and day out about our current state of affairs here in the US. There are many who seem to have written off America as an evil empire or as an Imperialist nation with no regard for it's people, unable to be salvaged or changed for future hopes.

While I agree that the current state of political affairs here in the US is a mess, and while I disagree strongly with our current administration and most of it's policies, I would have to strongly disagree that America has lost it's place in the world as a beacon of good and a land of hope and freedom.

You see, in my own estimation I do not hold the opinion that a government or an administration are what make up a nation....it is the people here that make this country great. Although many here have seen a once great nation sink from the level that is once stood, I do not believe that Americans have given up hope just yet.

As much as I complain and as much cynicism as I may direct toward our leaders and the wrongs that they do, I still hold this place near and dear to my heart. Yes we have troubles afoot, yes there are a host of things that need to be fixed and yes there are bridges that need to be mended.

But for all of her faults, this is still in my eyes the greatest place in the world. It is the only home that I have ever known, and the only one that I will ever know. I love it and would willingly die to defend and protect it. It is possible to disagree strongly with your government without hating your country.

What will make the difference ultimately will not be politicians and beuracrats, what will make the difference will be good people, ordinary people, who will make sacrifices and move forward to help work together to rebuild our home. It is not the Washington congressman or the D.C. lobbyist's who make up this country, it is WE THE PEOPLE, the ones who raise their children the right way, who provide for their families, the people who get up every single day and do what they have to do and sacrifice for a better life.

These are the people that I admire, this is what comprises the American spirit, and that is something that can never be legislated away or taken away by force. It is in us all, and we the people will eventually get our say. We will reclaim this country from the tyrants and we will see to it that Americans have a place to call home that they can feel proud about.

Go out and enjoy this day, the day our forefathers stood in the face of the same type of tyranny, the men who fought and died to make sure that we would never have to. Honor your family and friends and the ones who have come before you, and rejoice in the fact that regarless of what people would have you believe, you still live in the greatest nation on Earth.

Be proud. God bless. Happy 4th to you and your's!!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well said! I hope that all citizens of this great nation of America take today to think about the potential that we possess, as a people, and the history behind that potential. Today is a day for pride, and I, for one, choose to take today to respect and honor those, who came before, who gave their time, blood, and lives so that I could find pride in my national identity.

Happy Fourth everyone!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
sodom

a warm happy Fourth from switzerland...

we all love your coke + burgers, your landscapes and city's....

Americans, take back your country!!!!

sodom

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Happy fourth to all of my American brothers and sisters out there. Especially to all the vets and all of the boys over in Iraq. Be safe and godspeed.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I have a problem with one thing you said. It's not one of the most important, it's THE most important day in America.

new topics

top topics

join