It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would EVERYTHING Change if we Started Thinking Positively??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

The researchers acknowledged that it was impossible to make any firm conclusions because of the difficulty of studying something such as prayer. The study, for example, could not accurately measure factors as fundamental as the "dose" of prayer administered and could not account for the possible effects of family members praying for patients on their own, the researchers noted.
]

www.washingtonpost.com...

you'd have to be able to test the exact same individuals with the exact same conditions the exact same way in each of the different methods to get useful information

so, really - anti-prayer? that's your position? :-)

Replaced BB Code

Please do not use [ code]. That function stretches the page and the words are unreadable.

The correct function would be [ ex]... [ /ex] for external material

thank you

[edit on 7/7/08 by masqua]

[edit on 7/7/08 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I have to say - running through all the thread titles over and over - and over

it did occur to me once or twice that it could only help things if we lightened up

but then, that would suck all the juice out of the conspiracy forums, the end of the world forums, the alien attack forums...

in the end - I think you have something here

and what's the worst thing that could happen? it doesn't work?

it's worth a shot

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

www.washingtonpost.com...

you'd have to be able to test the exact same individuals with the exact same conditions the exact same way in each of the different methods to get useful information

Which again, is why i said the studies proving it, were bunk.

so, really - anti-prayer? that's your position? :-)

Why pray for something to happen, when you can take steps to try and make it happen. I prayed to get lucky all through high school. It wasnt untill I started hitting on chicks that it happened.

Or "God helps those, who help themselves"

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

:-) funny

but the studies didn't prove it didn't work either - not really

so, not really a conclusion to be had by either side

we might as well argue about how many angels fit on the head of a pin

and I can't argue with you - action - hard work - gets results

but prayer is for those circumstances beyond our control - whether it works or not - it's still action towards a goal

I'm not proselytizing - I've got nothing specific to sell

just curious about the strong anti hope and good will position

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

PRAYER is not part of this thread, unless you want to pray.

POSITIVE THINKING- even under the worse of circumstances is what this is about.

Even Atheists can have a positive frame of mind.

As far as the conspiracies, its not going to hurt anything at all. Read them and decide for yourself, some you may beleive, some you may not- but as for me, i'm going to look a heck of a lot more carefully at conspiracies from now on.
I find myself getting sick over all the stuff here That never pans out anyway...a lot of us do...

If we read about a bad situation (and there are many) i will envision the best outcome-

There are tons of conspiracies here- So many conspiracies, so little time!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've been giving it more thought.. and now present to you the question "What wouldn't change if we all started thinking positive?"

Would anything not change? They say 'believe in yourself & you can achieve anything!' That is in context a positive saying. So if we all were thinking this, all of the time, I think the entire world would actually change. Every system & routine in place. Everything would become fun.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

What if the positive thinking about getting lucky gave you the confidence to eventually hit on girls?

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Let go back to prayer for a moment, Dg, many people way to use their positive thinking is through prayer, see, in order to make a prayer successful the person that does the prayer have to be in a positive state of mind.

So actually the reason some prayers proof to be successful is due in part because the energy of the person doing the prayer is positive and it spreads to others.

So for those that wants to use prayer will be good for the positive thinking if that makes them happy.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree with that - I think it gets into semantics - when everyone means the same thing

I know that prayer gets connected to religion - and that isn't as comfortable for some as others - but - if you're essentially sending a "wish" out into the universe - I think it all amounts to the same thing

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think what the OP was talking about, and correct me if im wrong, is focusing in the good and blocking out the negative from your thoughts. Its one thing to say a few prayers and wish for things, but it is a completely different thing to become the observer of your thoughts. Once you do this you can choose to not focus on all the bad things around you. Finding the good in any bad situation.

Your life will be determined by the thoughts that habitually occupy your mind.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
"There was once a shepherd who was determined to improve himself so he went to a wise hermit to ask his advice. The hermit told him to take two bags of pebbles, one with black pebbles, one with white. While sitting looking after his sheep, he should watch his thoughts: if a negative thought came in his mind, he should take a black pebble and put it on one side. If a positive thought came in his mind, he should take a white pebble and put it on the other side. The shepherd did this, and after a while, he saw that the pile of black pebbles was really growing high, while the white one was very small. He was a little worried, and went back to the hermit to ask what he should do. The hermit answered, "It doesn't matter. Don't bother. Just keep on as you are." After a while, slowly, slowly, the two piles became similar, and after some time, the white pile became bigger than the black one."

Interesting method for becoming the observer and changing the thought patterns that have been ingrained into since you were born. When you stop thinking like a machine and actually observe what is going through your mind, you can begin to evolve.

I think that story is a great life lesson.

By Ringu Tulku Rinpoche

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I believe that thinking positive will change the world, but more importantly it will change you. If you look at my signature you will understand what I mean.

Thinking positive doesn't mean you become one of the happy, shiny people. It means you appreciate the life you have been given. You take the time to say thank you every now and then to whatever higher power you believe in. You look for the beauty instead of the terrible faults that dwell in us all.

Simply by changing your perspective, you can change the world.

I have to deal with many people everyday that walk into my office. All of them tell me they love stopping by just to catch up, do whatever business we have to do and that on their business routes, I'm their favorite stop.

What they don't know is I may be having a terrible day. I may be snowed under and people are yelling at me over the phone and lines are down out in the plant and I haven't gotten the parts to fix them yet.

That doesn't give me the right to dump on them or make their day a bad one or somehow to make them dread meeting with me.

Just because I'm having a bad day doesn't give me the right to make someone else's bad.

If we ALL started thinking positively, It would make the world a better place. I don't see that happening though.

I just know that thinking positively has made MY world a better place and a better place for those that are a part of it.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

:-) funny

but the studies didn't prove it didn't work either - not really

Sorry, but yeah they did. Prayer, on those who knew they were being prayed for, did worse. If they didnt know, there was no effect.

so, not really a conclusion to be had by either side

Sure thee is. If your gonna pray for someone, dont tell them and it wont hurt them.

and I can't argue with you - action - hard work - gets results

but prayer is for those circumstances beyond our control - whether it works or not - it's still action towards a goal

So is writing down your goals and coming up with a plan. And it works better too.

I'm not proselytizing - I've got nothing specific to sell

just curious about the strong anti hope and good will position

Its not anti-hope. Its anti-BS. Praying for people makes them worse if they know you are doing it. If they dont know, it does nothing. Prayer might make you feel better, and if so great. But it doesnt work as well as planning, or thinking, or using this amazing human brain to find a way out. At least in my experience, and the experiences of the few clinical researchers who have tested it scientifically. Thats why they call it faith. Because theres no evidence. I dont need faith in gravity, I know its real.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

PRAYER is not part of this thread, unless you want to pray.

POSITIVE THINKING- even under the worse of circumstances is what this is about.

Even Atheists can have a positive frame of mind.

Same thing. Different name. Thinking happy thoughts was tested as well, wont it heal people either. And unles you turn those positive thought into action, theres no credible evidence of any kind that it will do anything.

As far as the conspiracies, its not going to hurt anything at all. Read them and decide for yourself, some you may beleive, some you may not- but as for me, i'm going to look a heck of a lot more carefully at conspiracies from now on.

Know what I honestly, truly, and completly love about conspiracy theories? How atrocious most of them are. Just figuring out the holes in the various theories, points you to information you never knew existed, and the whole world seems to make just a little more sense. Nothing is better for developing a critical, logical mind, than poking holes in illogical thought processes.

I find myself getting sick over all the stuff here That never pans out anyway...a lot of us do...

If we read about a bad situation (and there are many) i will envision the best outcome-

Why not just do the work to see if you cant debunk it quick, and worry if you cant?

There are tons of conspiracies here- So many conspiracies, so little time!

Read my sig Dgtempe, the top one.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight

What if the positive thinking about getting lucky gave you the confidence to eventually hit on girls?

Think about it.

Not saying it didnt. What I am saying is untill I actually took action, nothing happened. Positive thinking can effect only and exactly one thing in this world in my limited though colorful experience. You.
Its the only thing you will ever have control over IMHO. You. Not life, not events, just how you deal with them, and what you do about them.

Action, vital action, the exercise of the vital powers, this is what moves the world. The dreamers will always dream. But only doers do.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

If everybody take control of their lives in masses then government systems and religion will become obsolete.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by marg6043]

Truer words were never spoken.
(or in the case of an on-line forum....~WRITTEN~)

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well, i am NOT against prayer. I pray. I'm a Catholic- but if i had come here and asked for people to pray, lots of them would say they do not pray. YOU see?

A good life starts with yourself. Your own feelings and experiences.
I dont expect to change "the world" before i make a conscious effort to change MY world!!!!

What has changed with me? I've been here reading and beleivng for the most part, suffering about this and that, i went to the doctors and i had a bad EKG-then i started thinking, Gee, did i do this to myself with all my negativity? It could be.....
I also heard a few lectures on collective thoughts- It could very well be that we are bringing all this upon us! BECAUSE WE EXPECT IT!!!!!

Negativity can and will not only make us sick, but the Universe will dish out to us what we are expecting.

For the person who said prayer was proven not to work, i have news for you: It does. You are getting your study results from Atheist sites, HENCE my reluctance to mention prayers. You see?

A positive frame of mind- envisioning a good outcome, expecting something good to happen is the reason for this thread-
I'd rather not bring religion into it- do you know now why???

BTW, i love you Marg

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Dg, worry also got me with my blood pressure to the roof, then one of the prescribed medications send me to the emergency room, test after test comes back negative, I thought I was going to die, so there you have it, how can you fight blood pressure that is due to a emotional state, stress and anxiety, I also took time to think and realize that we can not spend the rest of our lives, our short lives suffering and worrying about everything that goes wrong in the world, when it should be a collective issue and that we all have to do put effort to make it work.

I also decided to meditate, relax and start thinking positive so my health and my body heals.

Is not worth to spend our lives mad and angry I want to be happy.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Yes, Marg, it can make you ill.

Some might wonder why i am still here, and you too Marg:Simple, this is our home and we enjoy the latest news, the latest ET sightings, and all that good stuff ATS has to offer- that's why!

Its possible to cut down on the doom and still participate here.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Best thing is stay away from those poltics threads and just think positive.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join