It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings were mutants (and still are)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
"Throughout the history of the AIDS epidemic, a few lucky people have avoided infection despite being exposed again and again. Now, researchers are traveling back in evolutionary time to understand why some people are resistant -- and in some cases virtually immune -- to the AIDS virus."

"Genetic resistance to AIDS works in different ways and appears in different ethnic groups. The most powerful form of resistance, caused by a genetic defect, is limited to people with European or Central Asian heritage. An estimated 1 percent of people descended from Northern Europeans are virtually immune to AIDS infection, with Swedes the most likely to be protected. One theory suggests that the mutation developed in Scandinavia and moved southward with Viking raiders. "

"To be protected, people must inherit the genes from both parents; those who inherit a mutated gene from just one parent will end up with greater resistance against HIV than other people, but they won't be immune. An estimated 10 percent to 15 percent of those descended from Northern Europeans have the lesser protection."

www.wired.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Very interesting read I must say. I haven't read about anywhere else yet though. If it is true I find it comforting since I am at least 1/8th swedish and on top of that mostly of Northern eroupean desent.

Great read BTW.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Very interesting. Perhaps this will spur some research in the field of genetic therapy.

Although, it does raise an odd question: how did Northern Europeans develop an immunity to a disease that didn't exist at the time? Is it possible that HIV is older than previously thought? Or is the resistance really just a random quirk, a blind mutation that just *happens* to help stave of HIV?

join