It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Flashes in the night sky ,what are they,and have you seen them?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Im seeing these two. I find that the first flash is extremely bright to grab my attention, one time it was like a strobe lighting up the whole roof but from deep in space. then when I look it is less bright and sort of winks at me. I have been seeing these regularly for 5 years now.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Firstly, I am sorry for not reading "all" posts in this thread (but I did get to page 5 ).

I just wanted to say to the OP that me and my sky-watching-crew have recently been seeing these flashes you speak of.

Bigger then the biggest star, as bright, and they flash as fast as the snap of a finger. I have watched the sky for years and seen enough satellites and meteors, but these flashes are new to me.

I am NOT saying they are in anyway alien or magical events. I am simply saying that I've spent many many nights watching the sky and recently there have been a few things I have never seen.

The flashes you speak of being one (I've seen this 4 times in the past 2 weeks with one friend reporting seeing one as well). In each case the light is fast, a bright blink lasting no longer then a snap of the fingers

Two other weird things seen in the past week are-

A meteor so huge it just crossed the entire sky. It was thick white (as thick as two Popsicle sticks held at arm's length), It was just huge and seemed to be a flash as if it was one long light that didnt begin on one side of the sky and travel to the other. It just seemed to pop as one long line and disappear as instantly. In all times I have been lucky enough to witness really large objects entering our atmosphere they never seemed as uniformed and perfectly shaped. There was no breaking up, or flaming appearance. Just looked like a huge drawn line with rounded tips. (just the size and thickness of it seemed odd. Good sight!)

And the last weird thing I saw (and I wanted to make a thread about it but I'm still under 20 posts) was a shooting star that curved in a half circle. If the circle had been completed by the meteor it would have created a circle the size of a soda can's top held at arm's length. It was strange to see a shooting star do this and I've never seen it before.

But yeh...flashes are being seen. I assume the "space junk" theory is the answer. But I'm glad you saw them to.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

"A meteor so huge it just crossed the entire sky"

What night..? I seen something big early Tuesday morning, I'll u2u later if you don't mind, got to go just now...

The 4 flashes/junk is defo a new thing in the sky for me

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Mostly the flashes are satellites or junk catching the sunlight. Other flashes cannot be so easily explained. It may be that these ones are laser communications or something cosmological like a GRB, the brightest of which are known to be visible to the naked eye.

[edit on 12/8/2009 by azure-door]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
My spouse and I have both witnessed this phenomena several times over the past few years and because I see them mainly in the west my first guess was that they are tumbling ice crystals above the atmosphere cuaght in orbit and reflecting the suns light. Then I heard about iridium flares and thought that that may also explain it. However, the term flare indicates that it would not so much as produce a flash as it would a lasting glow. Then what really astounded me was when I saw one of these strange flashes begin to move from west to east after having been stationary. There were also stationary flashes in the south west and the north west. Just as described in the first post I usually see about 4-5 flashes in a general area about the size of my fist at arms length. I have descibed them to people as being like someone is using a really old camera with a 4 sided flash cube but from way up in the atmosphere. The one that started moving made a bright flash of light about every 10-15 seconds heading directly west to east passing directly over head and remained visible for almost the whole stretch of the sky. It was also at about 11pm that I witnessed this. It was not displaying similar characteristics of any aircraft or sattelite that I know of. I believe this phenomena remains a mystery and has yet to be satisfactorily explained.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks again for all your posts on this subject.You may find this video interesting.It is of something making flashes in the sky very similar to what I have seen only these are originating from the same position.Check it out .Thanks to SaturnFX for finding this vid.His thread on it is here.www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=500114

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Could these flashes by cosmic rays striking our atmosphere?

Cosmic rays are normally detected with scintillation detectors that detect the flash when they strike a molecule.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
at least i aint the one seeing these random flashes.
the post i did on august the 15th, i explain not only these white flashes but red,green and blue.
but from white to these colours very fast.
can't pick them up on camera clearly.
but yes i go for out for a cig around the back and see these flashes since that day

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well, this week me and "our crew" were working on a Burgerking building for three nights. On the third night me and "the new worker" saw the double-flash (one bright white flash, then a dimmer one).

This now has been seen a few times by myself and the people I've been sky watching with.

I know Phage posted some satellite that flashes, but these flashes seem stationary or damn close but separated by about 1-2 seconds. So its going slow or it is very high.

Either way, when we saw it, the conversation was me telling the "new guy" about aliens and all the hubbub about Greer and his words on disclosure and that you can summon ufos.

The "new guy" said after the flashes-

"yo, did you see that bro!? It gave me shivers bro!"

Alls I could say was "well, people have been seeing these flashes. A guy named Phage on a website said there is a flashing satellite."

I also explained satellite flaring, but I have seen that a few times (along with videos of it), and that looks more like fire.

The flash was seen last night around 2-3 in the morning (I could be wrong). It was close (but higher) to what I guess was "Sirius" (close to the horizon and flashing red,blue,white).

Like I said in my previous post in this thread, I've watched the sky for many years. I am no Phage or NASA expert. But I never seen this flashing before, and now I've seen it 5 times, while one friend reported seeing it once while entering my house, and another person reported seeing it recently as well.

It looks manufactured (not saying it is), but like people have said "a old cube-flash" to a camera. Bright white,solid, and a fast flash with no trail or signature of movement from my "perspective".

Dunno...I'd like to know what it is.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hi all, first time posting in ages. Last night about 12:30-1:00 AM I was out back of my house having a last ciggy. I always look up at the night sky, I'm fortunate to have a great view of the sky. I could see loads of stars after giving my eyes time to adjust, and I saw a flash almost directly above. I'm used to seeing planes going over at altitude, their light patterns and strobes are very familiar to me, but I could see no plane. 10-15 seconds later, in almost the exact same place the light flashed again. A single strobe light, again no plane. It was very quiet and I can hear them going over over. 10-15 seconds later, a third, again in the same place. I waited outside for another 20 minutes or so, but it did not repeat after this.

My curiosity was further piqued by a twin engine prop plane circling to the west of my house. He circled for at least another hour, his lights and engine noise clearly audible/visible. He did had flashing strobe lights on the first pass, then he switched them off to leave his wing lights on. He's also out there now, circling in the same place and has been for at least the last two hours. Time now 13:50 GMT.

I live in Radcliffe, just outside of Manchester in the UK.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I cannot beleive this, I noticed flashes in the sky on 27th August had to look in the local paper the next day to see if anyone else noticed this.

Very Strange I thought I was seeing things PHEW! (Wonder what is is?)

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Last night was the first time we've had really clear skies here for a long time.

I saw what was probably the shuttle, another 'moving light' which I'm not sure what it was, saw a flash occur 3 times, with about 8 seconds between flashes - it didn't move. A few minutes after that a meteor or similar shot across the sky and broke up.

Interesting night

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I concur I saw these strange flashes, twice.

I was randomly looking at the night sky, and saw a strange flash about ten times brighter than venus that lasted for a second- different times, different positions of the night sky, twice.

Strange.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm glad to read that so many have seen these strobe, camera flash like flashes in the sky. I thought i was seeing things. My first sighting was in 1989, (forget the month) at around 5:00 a.m., driving, heading south out of Orlando Forida. The sky was crystal clear. I first saw one huge "strobe" flash high up, then another about the same intensity, about a second or two after the first, not in the same place, but near. The diameter, or spread of the flash, should I say, was increadible. Like looking directly at a super huge camera flash. There was no lingering light or white spots, just super fast flashes.

I kept looking up as much as possible to see if anything was there that could have produced these flashes, there was nothing. Then five more smaller, less "spreading", but super fast bright flashes came next, with almost miliseconds between flashes. The area of sky, I estimate, of the last five I could cover with my palm at arms length.

I puled my truck off the road immediatly after that in amazement and to see if any other drivers aroud me slowed or had any reactions hoping someone else could confim what I saw, no one did.

Got back to my depot later that day and asked other drivers about it and none saw anything, not even the ones heading in the direction I was heading. (I left earlier than anyone, I had the farthest to drive south).

With no where to get any info, like we have at our fingertips today, I couldn't find out anything about what I saw...but never forgot it, of course.

Since then I moved back to PA. What got me to look this phenomenon up, which led me to this site, was another sighting of these flashes.

I regularly sit on my back deck having a nightly cigar to relax. Vey dark back there. Many nites in the last few years I've seen satelites, meteors and even one of those lighted objects that went from dim to brighter then dim again, which I assumed was a satelite catching the sun.

A couple of nights ago, I saw two huge flashes above my roof. Same super bright flashes as twenty years ago. I immediately ran out into the yard to see if anything was up there, there was nothing. Only the two flashes this time. It was about 11:30 p.m. I didn't tell a soul.

I did't have time to read all the posts on this issue due to me wanting to post this right away. Maybe someone knows what they are....I hope.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by colddrawn]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Two other weird things seen in the past week are-

A meteor so huge it just crossed the entire sky. It was thick white (as thick as two Popsicle sticks held at arm's length), It was just huge and seemed to be a flash as if it was one long light that didnt begin on one side of the sky and travel to the other. It just seemed to pop as one long line and disappear as instantly. In all times I have been lucky enough to witness really large objects entering our atmosphere they never seemed as uniformed and perfectly shaped. There was no breaking up, or flaming appearance. Just looked like a huge drawn line with rounded tips. (just the size and thickness of it seemed odd. Good sight!)

And the last weird thing I saw (and I wanted to make a thread about it but I'm still under 20 posts) was a shooting star that curved in a half circle. If the circle had been completed by the meteor it would have created a circle the size of a soda can's top held at arm's length. It was strange to see a shooting star do this and I've never seen it before.

That's hardly surprising as the Perseid meteor shower was due to peak a few days later, and this year was an above average year with many bright meteors reported in the days before the peak!

Check out this thread for more info.

Having re-read your description, it may have been too fast for a Perseid, although they are towards the faster end of the spectrum, but there are meteors that are so fast it's hard to tell which direction they were going in.

Either way, these things happen all the time (the Perseids are not the only meteor shower by a long shot!), so there is no reason to think they are connected with the topic of this thread.

As for the "shooting star that made a half circle", shooting stars don't do that, so you probably saw something else. It's possible that you saw something related to the space program, but with out more details, it's hard to say. Meteors that curve have been reported in the past, but generally they curve in a barely noticeable way.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I've witnessed this too.

The last time was on Feb the 14th 2009.

I live in South America by the way.

I was on my garden looking at the sky (it was a VERY clear summer night) when I saw the first flash of white light with the corner of my eye.

Then I looked in that direction and saw another white flash again- and that time I saw it came from a little orange object which was moving not very fast and made no sound.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

I saw almost the exact same thing you've described a few weeks ago. It was the 22nd of December 2009 and I was walking along my road returning to my house after a guitar lesson (I live in the North-West of England). As I looked forward towards my house I saw the entire sky light up with a double-flash. A camera flash is an excellent way of describing it. It was also similar to sheet lightning but there was no noise afterwards. I didn't see it emanating from a point as there was a lot of cloud cover - the light seemed to come from behind the clouds.

As I continued walking with my face turned to the sky wondering what the heck I'd just seen I saw a very fast orange object appear from behind a cloud and vanish almost immediately. I'd say it was less than a second that it was visible.

Of course my first thought was alien spacecraft but after I'd calmed down I came to the conclusion that this was probably a meteor. I felt quite privileged that I had been looking at the exact spot in the sky where it appeared from behind the cloud, otherwise I would have missed it. The only thing I still find odd is that the object didn't leave a trail behind it.

This video is very similar to what I saw with regard to the flashes although it is brighter than the ones I saw.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by plutoxgirl

white flash again- and that time I saw it came from a little orange object which was moving not very fast and made no sound.

You know I saw a flash and then the amber/orange type ufo orbs started to appear? The flash was like a flare but much brighter. Is the flash some sort of visual of time travel arrivals? Maybe inter dimensionals breaking through the background?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I've seen a flash on a clear night at about 1AM or something a few months ago. It was a completely silent night too. Dunno what it was, but it didn't happen again.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's probably caused by the sun

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join