It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divine Intervention for sky high oil prices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Divine Intervention for sky high oil prices

www.cnsnews.com

The Pray at the Pump Movement, founded by Rocky Twyman, has been holding prayer vigils at gas stations across the country. On Monday, Twyman decided to take his movement from Exxon and Shell stations straight to the steps of the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C., hoping to encourage the oil-rich country to raise the amount of barrels they release each day from 200,000 to 1.2 million.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Rather or not you believe in God (and i do, personally)
i think we need all the help we can get.

www.cnsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Now if we get our Muslim friends to pray to Allah, and our Jewish friends to pray to YHWH, then we'll have a divine trifecta. Thanks to all the prayers before the Iraq War that disaster was adverted. So I'm sure this will work.

CX

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Please.

This is not a knock at you Andrew, i know you're just posting the thread.

I don't believe, so obviously i'm going to think this is ludicrous and a total waste of time.

I do however respect peoples opinion and faiths, but i have to ask those who do believe in God......judging by the soaring gas prices, is this yet another time in our lives when God is supposed to be carrying us? (Footprints poem).

If there is a God, he certainly does'nt seem that fussed at the moment.

CX.

[edit on 4/7/08 by CX]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

and there is the big conundrum

Is God carrying us?

We consider it to be bad for 4 a gallon

but we dont know what the alternative could be/ would be?

The first thing i was taught about God

don't pretend you know what God is trying to do.

And i don't

I believe in God and i believe that God is of a higher existance. If God is a higher existance, then God is going to have a higher understanding of everything and everyone

something i cannot phathom.

I heart a quote once (and im going to buther it, i just know it) that described this philosophy very well

If you lived your entire life on an island that only had apple tree's, and one day - someone came and told you about orange tree's and maplewoods, you'd think they were full of *snip*

same thing applies here, IMO

but this isnt about the existance of God
as you said. I dont take your post as an attack

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Izer
Now if we get our Muslim friends to pray to Allah, and our Jewish friends to pray to YHWH, then we'll have a divine trifecta. Thanks to all the prayers before the Iraq War that disaster was adverted. So I'm sure this will work.

Yeah, except for God, YHWH, and Allah are all the same thing, the God of Abraham
So you could have just said prayed to God.

SR

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If say for a minute there was an actual God according to the books you would be directly disobeying it's orders anyway.

What was the whole jibe about the relevance of material items over the soul and worshiping idols. Amazing how supposedly the most devout followers of this God like entity are always breaking the rules.

CX

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Ok then, in an effort to keep this thread from quickly diverting to a "belief" issue....a question.

How would God sort the oil/gas prices out? I'm intrigued to know how exactly devine intervention would work in this case.

Then how would you prove it?

I guess at the end of the day, this WILL come down to belief whether we want it to or not. If the prices come down, some will believe God intervened, and others like me will credit it to those who finaly get thier thumbs out of thier backsides and see the state our world is in.

Whoever sorts it out, the man upstairs or the men down here, i'm not holding my breath either way.

I heart a quote once (and im going to buther it, i just know it) that described this philosophy very well

If you lived your entire life on an island that only had apple tree's, and one day - someone came and told you about orange tree's and maplewoods, you'd think they were full of *snip*

I'd want to see at least some kind of decent evidence before i believed it.

Let me see the orange tree and i might be on the path to believing they are there.

CX.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Originally posted by General Izer

Yeah, except for God, YHWH, and Allah are all the same thing, the God of Abraham
So you could have just said prayed to God.

Don't say it like it's fact. "They believe/claim that..." perhaps, but that doesn't make it so, it just makes it the most popular misconception of all time.

I'll stick with Gnosticism thanks, and know that the world was created by the evil demon Yahweh for the purpose of pissing us off.

SR

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Why would 'God' sort out the oil issue no where in the bible is it guaranteed

'You will live a bountiful life thanks to oil and drive cars thanks to me God'

We're talking about the same entity who flipped and threw it's toys out of the pram because Eve ate an apple

This is the same entity who's grand plan for us all was to run around naked with animals in a garden for all enternity.

What you've got here is the classical spirtual problem of tangability into subjective reality in this case materialism.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
First off

stop derailing my thread. If you dont believe in God, fine. You can still takl about the thread, and not your disbelief in God.

on topic:

If you dont believe in God, then look at this way

people who congregate like this, in religious mass, are doing so out of a heartfelt need for divine intervention. There seems to be no cruel intention here.

Go rent "what the bleep do we know anyways" and pay special close attention when they start talking about "mental state of mind has an effect on things around you"

why couldnt a gathering of a lot of people have an effect on things liek gas prices?

If nothing else, its catching headlines and making it abundantly clear that we can't afford 4 dollars a gallon with all the other things in our lives going on in this country.

So why the *snip* turn it into another god *snip* debate about rather or not god exists.

I swear to God there are more idiots in this world than ever before.

Talk about the *snip* thread or go somewhere else

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This is the lunatic fringe hard at work. Maybe if we get some people wearing purple robes and Nikes working the front the cost of bread will drop too.

The price of gas in the U.S. is, by comparison, a bit cheaper than most other G8 countries. I don't understand why there is so much whining about it. It's a reality that is not going to go away so deal with it. Cut costs in other areas like stop going to the movies, stop buying alcohol, stop buying cigarettes, basically cut back on your leisure items. The economy's in the toilet and praying for some type of divine intervention is a waste of practical time and energy.

brill

[edit on 4-7-2008 by brill]

SR

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It's irrelevant what I believe because the questions and opinions i pose are still relevant and based with what's in your book anyway.

Why am i an idiot?? stop trying to dicredit my opinion and thus throw me out of the discussion when firstly you haven't even bothered to consider any of my questions. How very christian of you.....

Who invented prices??

I think you'll find it wasn't God, It's your free will that 'GOD' supposedly gave everyone that lets you not being able to afford your Gas prices because you let people put a price on gas on the first place.

God didn't mention anything about oil or gas, people back then who supposedly spoke to God didn't drive cars or really use oil that much and they got along fine.

What a cruel twist of fate that 'GOD' if it exists made Alaska, Brazil and the Middle East the most oil laden countries in the world.

Maybe God made that point because he likes and wants to help those people more than you ever thought of that....

Or maybe just maybe.....
shock horror the unthinkable may be right.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
typicaly medieval : the Pump-God will help, why not make some burning-offerings for this? people should get real, they were acting for decades like there is no tomorrow , and now they need the Pump-God help. Now it`s the time to seriously get rid of the petro-economy and those earning from it!

CX

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Firstly, i said that i was'nt bashing you, so please don't act like i was. Not really your place to be calling people idiots when you've posted something for people to respond to, am i right?

We all have different thoughts on idiocy. I think that millions of so-called religous followers, killing people throughout the world in the name of thier God is stupid. Everyone to thier own i guess.

I thought Christians were supposed to be loving, forgiving and all nicey nicey? Some of the most blinkered, horrible people i know go to church every Sunday and walk around as though they are holier than though.

My opinion, my right.

Regarding the topic in hand, i never said that i find it hard to believe that a group of people could bring oil prices down, i whole heartedly agree that this is possible so good on them for trying.

It would be that group of people who did it though, not God.

You can't rant about thread derailing when belief is such a huge factor in the subject.

CX.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
LoLs !

Ya pray...
Bow to the oil overlords.

(sorry I find it very funny)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.BenjaminDon't say it like it's fact. "They believe/claim that..." perhaps, but that doesn't make it so, it just makes it the most popular misconception of all time.

Except it is a fact, that's why they all have the same old testament stories which originated from *shock* the character known as Abraham.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Firstly, i said that i was'nt bashing you, so please don't act like i was. Not really your place to be calling people idiots when you've posted something for people to respond to, am i right?
CX.

Oh my god, yer kidding me right? I never said you were. infact i said

but this isnt about the existance of God as you said. I dont take your post as an attack

About the thread: Its not about the existance of God. You can reference my previous post for an example of what argument you could make if you dont b3elieve in God

It was about people praying to lower gas prices.

You can say "thats just silly, because God doesnt exist, HOWEVER ______" and that'd be fine

But to come in here and say

"mindless bible thumpers, god doesnt exist, blah blah blah"

that derails the thread.

apropos:

your statement

I don't believe, so obviously i'm going to think this is ludicrous and a total waste of time.

I do however respect peoples opinion and faiths, but i have to ask those who do believe in God......judging by the soaring gas prices, is this yet another time in our lives when God is supposed to be carrying us? (Footprints poem).

If there is a God, he certainly does'nt seem that fussed at the moment.

does not derail the thread, give your second paragraph there.

You disagree, but talk about the issue

Good for you

[edit on 7/4/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

CX

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Sorry for jumping the gun there and getting my defensive head on, looks like i swept through the post and did'nt catch who it was meant towards.

I try to stay away from threads involving religeon for numerous reasons, sometimes it's hard though.

Peace.

CX.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
interesting. i often wonder if this type of group activity actually finds its success through the solidarity the believers have when they do this together.

While it may not bring prices down, the people getting together may feel less alone and helpless. This would be a good outcome in itself.

BTW, when comparing gas prices and allowing for litres and exchange rates, New Zealand pays nearly $8 per gallon and England nearly $9. Are people in the US seriously saying they cant afford $4 per gallon ??
We have $2.15/l (minimum) petrol here and the "government" have just increased petrol tax and road user charges and vehicle registration.

I hope the people praying for change get something out of it, but I seem to remember a passage in the bible saying God would never again interfere with the affairs of men..... Anyone who can help out with that passage ??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join