It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyes in the sky for Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Eyes in the sky for Olympics

www.shanghaidaily.com

UNMANNED drones will patrol the skies above the Olympic sailing venue of Qingdao City, in the country's first known use of the spy craft.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Looks like China are getting into the act with UAVs as well. It's good to see that the US isn't alone in spying drones and I guess ushers in a new age of spying in China.

www.shanghaidaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Are they Chinese built UAVs or are they on loan from another country?

I apologize if its mentioned it in the article, I'm very tired.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Wow. Looks interesting..
Maybe we can see it on tv?
I can't wait to see how these drones look.
Wouldn't it be funny like those drone's from california, that were found to be a hoax

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

They don't actually say who built them, but I would put money on a local manufacturer. I don't see the US selling this technology to China just yet, but I could be wrong.

I find it ominous how the article refers to this as the "first use". I guess they plan on using them a fair bit in the future, ie every protest or demonstration.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Doesn't the US owe China lots of money?

Could be in lieu of monetary repayment, 'security', etc with it being the Olympics?
The eyes of the world are gonna be on China for the next couple of months.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

This was exactly the reason I assumed they were not on loan as this technology is still somewhat classified in most countries. I was just a bit surprised as I have not heard much on China's use of UAV tech although it will become ubiquitous in the next 5 years.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan
I guess they plan on using them a fair bit in the future, ie every protest or demonstration.

What are the chances, do you think, that if you're right, they'll also start putting tear-gas launchers on them too, and perhaps auto-reloading tasers or the suchlike?

You're right, this is going to lead to multinational usage, i can feel it.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

What are the chances, do you think, that if you're right, they'll also start putting tear-gas launchers on them too, and perhaps auto-reloading tasers or the suchlike?

I hadn't thought of that!

Given the US's propensity to stick Hellfire missiles on their UAV's in Iraq and Afghanistan I am sure the Chinese have considered a variety of arms. I doubt they are constrained by the non armament of civillian helicopters and aircraft that the west has.

top topics

join