It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how gullible are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
yeah, that's right. how gullable are you? we've all had moments were we've believed something incredibly stupid. so let's hear about it!

for instance... when i was 6 i asked my dad who created color tv and when. my dad quickly responded that scientists didn't invent color until the 70s, and before then the world was just black and white. i seriously believed that until i was about 13. that's how gullible i am.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
In the late 70`s, my father was a police officer in Toppanish, WA.

One morning, as per usual durring the week, dad was taking me to school via his squad car. These were the older models of the Crown Victoria, and the partition which seperated the prisoner from the officer was, at that time, a metal framed peice of six inch thick peice of plexi glass. This partition could be folded back, behind the front bench seat of the squad car, or, after using a lever in the front, the officer could release the spring, which would cause the partition to flip up, and lock into place, seperating officer from prisoner.

This particular Monday morning, I was about six or seven, dadaking me to school, and I noticed a blood stain in the middle of the back seat. I leaned forward and inquired where said stain had come from. Dad looks at me from the rearview mirror, and says with a straight face; "Last night, we found a monster under some kids bed, and his mom called us to come and arrest the monster. I had to shoot him to get him in the car."

Well, I believed that story until, when I was 10, I saw my dad release the spring of the partition, and lock into it`s place before going to work one November morning. It was a Friday, and I used to go into the office with dad on Saturday while he filed his weekly paperwork. I was witness to him defending the fact that he had used the partition as a means of assuring a suspect`s complacency durring an arrest to the cheif of police. I remember thinking to myself that day "Man, dad is such a lier, and I am goofy!" LOL

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Did you ever read Calvin and Hobbes? Sounds like your dad was patterned after him...

I plan to do likewise to my kid, hehe...

Daddy, who killed all the dinosaurs?
Killed them? What do you mean? They're still alive of course, just in the jungle silly....

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Calvin and Hobbs is a great source for fathers to learn on how to teach their children.

Why, just last year, I showed my oldest the thing with the record player...

Put a penny on the inside circle, and one on the outside... the outside is clearly a larger distance to travel, yet they cross at the same time. So, the record, even though it is in one piece, moves at two different speeds at the same time!

Oh, don't forget the sun is the size of a quarter, and sets in Flagstaff, Arizona (explains why the rocks are red there).

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
i have sad plans to emotionally scar my children, sad thing is my fiance backs me up in it...

we're going to tell the kids the bathroom is called a gaberadoo or something like that. kid goes to school and asks to use the gaberadoo and the teacher and everyone laugh. maybe we shouldn't have kids?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I saw this site and thought of this thread.

iusedtobelieve.com...

the body functions section is perticularly amusing

ohhhh yeah and as for being gullible , it's a long story but I once got my sister believing that if she got her fringe and put it up into a pony tail then she would be able to hear the man in the moon singing and would become invisible to our parents. She actually walked around the house like that for about half an hour, my parents were deep in some big discussion at the time and so took no notice of us being in the room, and so my cunning plan worked. I think I was about 11 at the time and she was about 5. It sounds really silly but it cracks me everytime I think back to it.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Me being gullible ok heres my story, me my father and uncle were out in the woods with our guns. I was maybe 9-10 at the time and i thought it was cool to go out with them and shoot stuff in the woods. We go up there and i have a 22 my father has a 20 guage shotgun and my uncle has a 12 gauge, so we were just shooting around and my uncle wanted me to try the 12 gauge that kicks alot trust me it kicks!but they didnt tell me this at the time soi belived them and im so gullible i go ok and he gives it to me i fire at the tree and i fall back on my a** and burst out in tears and trust me it hurt my arm like hell i had a bruise on my arm for like a week or two i will never forget that! Even now it hurts to shoot a 12 guage but only somethimes. Another one was my father uncle and me going 4 wheeling with his jeep, we were going up a steep hill and he was like were gonna tip over?!! ahhh!!?!? and i was scared to death i believed him but i found out later we had no way of tipping over thats my reply to this topic

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
We have a kid at school, he tells the most outragous lies. The funny thing is, I used to be so gullible I actually used to believe the storys he told. Heres an example, he said theres 15ft tall weed plants where he used to live in cali. I didn't believe that story inparticular, but all of his storys are that way. Ive learned just to block it out. So, no, im not that gullible anymore. I guess you could say his lies cured me of my extreme gullibility.

Peace, Shadow

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
When I was 6 someone told me that China was underneath us and that if I dug straight through, I would come out in China. I believed it I also thought just a few feet dug and I would find myself in China. I dug all day finally I decided that with my luck I would dig through to a toilet and gave it up.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
When I was a kid, I never wanted to go to bed at night. When I was eventually sent upstairs, I would spend hours reading comics and was always tired when I had to get up to go to school. One day my mom told me that if I didn't go to bed, I'd hear the Devil squeal, and I believed her, especially when one night I heard a terrifying screech. At the time I didn't know it was a Vixen and was convinced that it was the Devil.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
LOL k i am not a racist or anything so no offense to anyone.

When I was around 6 I asked my Dad why asian people have squinted eyes. He told me cuz they were born in china "the land of the rising sun" they are born that they have to squint cause the sun is in their eyes and it just stays like that.

I belived it till grade 6

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by Lord Of The Strings]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have a bit of a strange one. You know how young children always think that the world revolves around and for them. Well, I had a strange twist on this: I use to believe that it never rained out in the open ocean when there was noone (any humans) around to see it.

Funny thing is that is basicly the Copenhagen Institute's stance on reality and quantium physics. So you have to wonder, not if I was smart enough to have been in the institute at the age of 5 or so, but weither the Copenhagen in made up of toddlers.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
No one is as guillable as me.

Someone told me that Abe Lincoln was black and I belived it until recently when my U.S. history teacher told that he wasn't.

Guess how I felt when the entire class laughed at me fore 20 mintues.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
My grandpa was missing part of his thumb. When I was a young child I asked him what happened. He said he worked in an ice cream factory and his thumb got stuck in one of the machines. It bled into the vanilla ice cream and that's how strawberry ice cream was invented. *lol*
I gave him the typical nah uh but ran straight to my parents to find out the truth.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i've got one similar to pisky's...

when i was little, to keep me in bed, my parents told me there were lobsters under my bed and that if i got out of bed they would bite my feet off. i believed it for a few years, and i'm still afraid of lobsters...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i once told my sister that the stop signs with white borders were optional. thank goodness she didn't have her license then, cause she didn't find out the truth till she told a friend, and they said hey dumbarse, all stopsigns have white borders!!:bnghd:

one that i found out works good with little kids, is a way to get them to keep their gloves on when its cold outside, and snowy. i once told some of my friends kids, that there were evil snowbunnies hiding in the snowbanks and would jump out and bite their fingers off, if they didn't keep their gloves on.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Gullible? Well I use to believe that all of you were actual people, but then I realized that you were all synthetic organisim programs constructed my the Reptiloids!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
lmao...you guys are all so gullible

well i'm no better than any of you.

I totally had believed that the moon was made of cheese and that there was a real man who lived on it...I think i woke up somewhere around 4th grade.

ooh yeah..and remember step on a crack break your mother's back.... i spent years avoiding stepping on cracks on the sidewalks..and if you lived in NY, you know there are lots of cracked up sidewalks.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You could sell me swampland in Syria during their snowy season.

JUST KIDDING!

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I was a pretty smart kid but my older brother had me convinced that "pork and beans" were just another type of beans, like pinto beans, string beans, etc. "Porken Beans" of course! What's worse is that the rest of my family thought it was hilarious and reinforced the idea.

As my revenge I told my parents that "gullible" was not a real word, that it was invented by William Shakespeare, and did not appear in any dictionary. Grown-ups can be suckers, too!

new topics

top topics

join