It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Shipton predicted Planet X and UFO's in 1550!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by Zenagain
As to this "prophecy" crap, please let our current prophets not use poetic verse. It's liable to re-start the Spanish Inquisition.

What the hell does "poetic verse" have to do with the Spanish Inquisition?

In centuries long past, poetry was used to make lengthy compositions more entertaining, to help hold the reader's attention and add a little verve to otherwise tedious narrative. The ancient Greeks wrote whole volumes of such "poetry," usually in recounting historical events and mythical epics. Medieval Europeans of the more elevated class (those who could afford the luxury of education) learned how to read and write through poetry, and so had perhaps more lyrical composition skills.

Come to think of it, our ancestors were much more literate, articulate, and lyrical than we are today with our dry, simplistic, and humorless communications skills. But the ancients were not less capable of conveying concise information, and the fact that much (if not most) of the old texts leaned toward poetic verse is not a valid reason to discount their informational content.

Remember that Homer's Iliad was for centuries considered a mythical epic poem, full of heroic and tragic characters and gods coexisting with humans — certainly a work of fiction, right? That was the consensus, anyway, until 19th Century amateur archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann decided to use Homer's Iliad as a map to locate the ancient city of Troy.

Which he did. Troy was a real city, it turns out, forgotten to history and basically ignored by scholars because it only figured prominently in an ancient poem.

So, I don't discount Nostradamus or Mother Shipton merely on the basis of their poetic approach. I reject them because: 1. Nostradamus was deliberately vague and ambiguous — such that his gibberish could be interpreted in a million different ways, limited only by the imaginations of his readers, and; 2. Mother Shipton's "prophecies" were most likely latter-day hoaxes.

But don't let that put you off of poetry.

As evidenced my my subsequent posts, I didn't discount Mother Shipton's "prophecies" because they were poetic verse, but because of the large amount of debunking done by those that came before me (Much of which I linked) So NA NA NE BOO BOO. Or something.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Thanks for the welcome!

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Thanks.

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   

As evidenced my my subsequent posts, I didn't discount Mother Shipton's "prophecies" because they were poetic verse, but because of the large amount of debunking done by those that came before me (Much of which I linked) So NA NA NE BOO BOO. Or something.

Yet you haven't answered my question. What does poetic verse have to do with starting or re-starting the Spanish Inquisition? Or was that just some sort of weak-assed attempt at humor?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
That was a PRE-arguement against people who would undoubtedly try to say that the reasoning for the poetic verses was charges of WITCHCRAFT!!! (Which is the standard argument for this). Sorry if I'm thinking too fast for you, Slick. I'm not George Carlin, I get my humor in other places.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Sorry if I'm thinking too fast for you, Slick.

Not at all. I only asked because dire references to the Spanish Inquisition are typically made by the moronic atheist fungus that inhabits the damp areas of ATS, and I was preparing to crush you like a rotten grape for being a wise-ass atheist heathen.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Don't you people sleep?

Gazbom

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56
Don't you people sleep?

Occasionally.

Oh, and don't let the petty tyrants and bullies try to strongarm you on ATS. There's always a group of malcontents harassing the new members. We need to go through ATS with a flamethrower and incinerate the lot of them.

[edit on 7/4/2008 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Thanks for the tip.

Gazbom.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
You have to wonder how many times a 'prediction' framed in the sixteenth century has been updated/embellished so it rings true with each successive retelling.

Mother Shipton's Cave is a famous and lucratuve tourist attraction in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire. Her purported home, a hole in a rock, together with a nearby 'petrifying well' attract hundreds of thousands every year. The petrifying well by the way is a waterfall rich in calcium salts, which coat any articles hung in the flow. Over a few years, they get encased in calcium carbonate, much like stalactites. It's fascinating to see.

Mother Shipton's Cave

Anyway, back to Mother Shipton. The economy of Knaresborough depends primarily on tourism. It's a beautiful part of the country. Propagating the Shipton prophecies is a major industry in the town. For the company that owns the cave and waterfall, it's clearly a nice little earner. The last time I heard about this side of the business, it was owned by Paul Daniels, the magician. He's the little guy with the ears and the catchphrase: 'You'll like this, but not a lot!'
'Nuff sed.

WG3

[edit on 4-7-2008 by waveguide3]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

Paul Daniels,

Nuff sed!

Gazbom

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Mother Shipton was a figment of an author's imagination.
The author that popularized ( and made a ton of money on) Mother Shipton's predictions, ADMITTED he manufactured her prophecies. ( which should have been a major clue that she wasnt real)

Seers, mediums and prophets were all the rage, when Head published Shiptons "writings"... he was simpley profiting from a fad.

When the facts all point to a simple explaination.. we should probably look at the facts

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ninja-san

Yeah ok but Head was supposed to have done that in 1881?

There was no airplanes and submarines and computers then!

Gazbom

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Good old Mother Shiptons cave, been there a few times.
She used to wait in one of the caves there and pop out and scare you, good times, good fishing on the river there too.
I apologise in advance for my contribution to this post.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gazbom56

From the site you linked:

The woman who came to tend to her 15 years old mother, Agatha, spoke of a smell of sulphur and a great crack of thunder as the child came into the world.

Supposedly the short Greys smell like sulfer,and could the thunder be some kind of technology?Could this prophet be a hybrid?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gazbom56

Where in the link does she rhyme about Nibiru and a UFO?All I saw were a "dragons fiery tail".

[edit on 7/4/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazbom56
gazbom
With regard to those debunkers who view her prophecies as a hoax, their attack is mostly historical in nature, because her prophecies first appeared in print in 1641, eighty years after her death. They also express the opinion that English editor and biographer Richard Head first corrupted her prophetic writings in 1684, then that English publisher Charles Hindley corrupted them once again in 1861.

Is this for real ? The guy was actually called Richard Head ? I now understand where we get the term from if he corrupted her prophetic writings!

In all seriousness though, if he corrupted her writings & then Mr Hindley corrupted them, what's to say that the prophecies you're looking at aren't corrupted either ?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
And so does the Bible. The Bible which is older than mother shipton, and is 100% accurate. But this is interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Interesting mention of the smell of sulfer, your right a lot of people do mention this and the smell of ammonia when they encounter greys.

However 2 miles up the road is the spa town of Harrogate famous for its medicinal sulfer water that comes from underground springs.

Not sure if there is a link, perhaps the newborn could of been bathed in this medicinal water?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by furiousracer313

The Bible comes up trumps every time!

Gazbom.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join