It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theories, a form of modern mythology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Hello, first time poster, so I'm not positive this is the right forum for this.

As I've exposed myself to the varying conspiracy theories over the past few years I've begun to wonder... Could many (obviously not all) be merely a modern form a mythology?

Let me put this in a better perspective. Assuming our history books are reasonably accurate, ancient man was nowhere near our technological 'advancement'. They relied solely on nature to provide them with the proper conditions to ensure survival. They couldn't stop a drought, or a flood, or a hurricane from destroying their families, their tribes. Thus, the earliest known forms of spirituality were born, with deities representing these uncontrollable forces. Yet, the catch was that through honour and worship of these deities, one might appease them and encourage prosperity. It was also a form of proto-science, in that people were able to attribute different physical phenomena with a cause, in this case, the angered god.

Ok now fast-forward to the present. We, the people of the world, the ones who investigate and propagate these conspiracies, are not in power. We are bombarded with the lies and fear-mongering of the MSM, we are headed toward global economic collapse, etc etc etc. There are all these forces we cannot control. We are the post post modern man, no longer standing on the precipice, we have jumped into the abyss and are awaiting the arrival of its bottom.

So we try and figure out why things are the way they are. We tie loose ends together and weave a tapestry of such importance that if we were to just throw it away as garbage, we may risk being unprepared when we hit rock bottom.

Believe me, I am one of the biggest truth seekers I know, but I wonder sometimes if we are just duping ourselves. Humankind has struggled for all of recorded history against the yoke of oppression, largely powerless at its hands. So now, we have created an elaborate connection of dots to explain it all to ourselves, and to have some form of control over it, simply by 'knowing the 'truth''.

All that stoned pseudo-intellectualism aside, I will say that I still believe that, despite numerous revolutions and beheadings, there has remained an international Aristocracy present in the world which will ultimately destroy us all in order to preserve itself.

Thanks for reading

ninjuh

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The post-structuralist's nihilism is the ultimate abdication of the human spirit. Their "enlightened" worldview has helped to create the world of meaninglessness in which we find ourselves immersed. We need meaning.

Folks who are attracted to the offerings on ATS generally share a sense of alienation. They know there has to be something better than political colored bubbles and the mindless pursuit of happiness through status symbols or new electronic gizmos. They search for some hidden meaning, because they know two things:

1) There has to be something better
2) No one has shown us what it is

There was a time when I was embarrassed by my search for conspiracies and UFOs. I remember reading a psychologist's words to the effect that people who are attracted to UFOs and the like are alienated and schizotypal. I didn't want to be alienated and schizotypal. It made me feel even worse about my search for meaning.

Then one day I realized that, in an insane world, the truly sane people must appear insane to everyone else. I realized that all I lacked was the faith in myself that people such as that psychologist had in her opinions. I realized that it was a choice that I could make, and that no one could take it away from me.

After a while, I noticed that I was in pretty good company. I recognized that some truly brilliant and wonderful people had also found their way into this place, and that I was not at all alone. We began to realize that we can make the world a better place by restoring meaning or by creating it.

By now, I have discovered that what is happening here among us is a normal part of social evolution, although it has been magnified and accelerated by our new means of communication. This movement was predictable and it was predicted. Far from being the bungled and the botched of society, we and those like us in times past have always been the bow-wave of social change and cultural regeneration.

There's a line from a film called Stage Beauty that I like to quote:

"Exile is a terrible thing. Especially for one who knows his place."

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by 187ninjuh

All that stoned pseudo-intellectualism aside, I will say that I still believe that, despite numerous revolutions and beheadings, there has remained an international Aristocracy present in the world which will ultimately destroy us all in order to preserve itself.

Thanks for reading

ninjuh

Perhaps you should rename the title then, if this is your main point.

p.s; Calling conspiracy theories modern mythology carries the connotation that conspiracy theories are make-believe and carry very little truth in them.

I cannot agree with you on this.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

Perhaps you should rename the title then, if this is your main point.

p.s; Calling conspiracy theories modern mythology carries the connotation that conspiracy theories are make-believe and carry very little truth in them.

I cannot agree with you on this.

My main point is that some conspiracy theories, most particularly those relating to the Illuminati, or more fringe topics like Nibiru, etc. could be interpreted as a form of modern myth creation. I'm not trying to insult conspiracy theories or their validity, it's more a thought experiment on what else they could mean about ourselves as a globally connected society.

Of course theres some wacky stuff going on behind the scenes. Nobody cares if I make a post saying that I think theres a global elite, I wanted to post something that could stimulate some discussion

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 187ninjuh

While maintaining the possibility of a global elite as part of the context.

Very well.

I wouldn't call fringe topics like Nibiru or 2012 conspiracy theories other than to say that the Government has yet to comment on such things, which can mean one of two things;

1) They know about it, and aren't willing to send the world into a state of dis-organised Anarchy.

or

2) They don't exist, and the myths are being propogated by various members of society.

Which do you think is most likely, prey tell?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
"Exile is a terrible thing. Especially for one who knows his place."

Thanks for the reply, I enjoyed it thoroughly. We are definitely the 'bow wave' as you put it, and in the internet age we are able to communicate and share information/ideas on a grander scale than ever before. No wonder they are spying on the internet.

When I first began my descent into the depths of conspiracy theories I was obviously very frightened. I have since become quite optimistic about the future, despite the proposed evidence of a tyrannical NWO emerging.

You are right about a search for a hidden meaning, or an absolute truth. I don't know if there are any absolute truths or meanings out there, but I do know that we are able to formulate our own 'truths' much more readily than in the past.

As for my own 'truths', well... either we're all doomed, or we'll get to the singularity

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 187ninjuh

As for my own 'truths', well... either we're all doomed, or we'll get to the singularity

Oh for *snip* sake, i hope you're not one of those people who doesn't understand the meaning of personal truth, because that isn't it.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Of course many of them are being propagated by members of society. Haven't you noticed what a cash cow conspiracy theories are? Alot of people are out to make a buck in their quest to spread their truth. This is more prevalent for guys like Tsarion and his stuff on Atlantis etc, but even guys like Alex Jones, the Loose Change guy, etc are making Benjamins off of it.

At the end of the day, "All that I know is that I know nothing". At least I will be able to say "I told you so" if they turn out to be true.

That aside, yes there is a global elite who wield incredible power... but their power is not absolute. I included that at the end as an aside, which I think was evident by the post. Again, just an, albeit stonedly written, concept I've been toying with for a while.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

If what turns out to be true, that you're right and they are propogating a myth similar to the way people used to do with urban legends, or... uhm...

I think that's my point really, people these days are treating conspiracy theories more and more like urban legends as opposed to the speculative works that they are.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Oh man, relax hahaha. Listen, I have my own real, personal truths, and those definitely aren't them. I don't feel I have to explain them to you now when this post was supposed to explore the possible connections between the myth creation of old with the conspiracy theories of today.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Of course you don't have to explain anything to me.

You could say that this was part of one of the personal truths that i've learnt from life.

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

I think that's my point really, people these days are treating conspiracy theories more and more like urban legends as opposed to the speculative works that they are.

You're right in that alot of people do treat them like urban mythology. Indeed some of them are. And indeed some of these investigative/speculative works are very real, very valid, and extremely pertinent to our personal and global wellbeing. Ie the whole Codex Alimentarius thing.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Then perhaps it would be better to term them then as urban legends rather than modern mythology.

Modern mythology to me, seems more like the kind of thing a cult would believe in,

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Lets not argue semantics now

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Well, if people are going to treat them like urban legends, then that's what they are.

p.s; semantics are to do with terminology, which is what we're trying to address, i believe.

If you want to call it urban mythology, then go ahead.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Using the term 'urban' implies that it is limited to urban centers. By that token you could argue back that 'modern' carries with it the connotation of the modern age, which we left behind long ago. At the end of the day you should know by now the general idea I was getting at for discussion, and we discussed it... so why are you debating wether 'urban legend' is better than 'modern mythology'. At the end of the day I chose the term 'modern mythology' because it conveyed my idea. And, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter what words I chose to use, so long as I got my message across. and thats all that language is meant to do.. convey concepts and meaning.

[edit on 4-7-2008 by 187ninjuh]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
That's understandable, which is why i won't try and stop you from using that particular term.

I just happen to think that, seeing as it is propogated by members of society, it makes more sense to call it an urban legend, considering that the way these possibilities are being propogated is very similar to the way that people used to propogate urban legends.

Your actual premise, btw, was a question as to whether or not it should be referred to as a modern myth.

I am offering you an alternative that has some reasoning behind it, but you don't have to accept it if you don't want to.

new topics

top topics

join