It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Group or Not,When Sit-X Happens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Granted, a lot of people/scavengers will be on the lookout for unprotected farmlands for them to pilfer vegetables.

All the more reason to do things honestly.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
Those fighters, warships and submarines aren't just going to go away because there isn't an acting political or commanding element anymore.

Something you've obviously overlooked. Those "fighters" are still people, and they are not going to be rounding up civilians when there is no government left, they are going to be trying to find their families.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

When i said fighters, i meant war-planes, not individual fighters.

If i had meant that, i would have said soldier.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You've also obviously overlooked the fact that there will be people in the army who have nothing else but the army.

They will not be leaving their posts.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Apart from your family I wouldn't trust anyone, tempers will become frayed, and after time hormones will take play, "hey look at the strong army of men around me and my family... errrr why are they looking at you like that hunny?" no thanks, when push comes to shove you stay alone, you trust no-one and you kill or be killed.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
You've also obviously overlooked the fact that there will be people in the army who have nothing else but the army.They will not be leaving their posts.

If things fall apart then there is nothing to fight for. I think you are putting to much emphasis on the military, yeah at first the military might be trying to round people up and enforce martial law, but if things get bad that will stop in a hurry.

Plus it also depends on where you live and if there is a reason to fight for that area. Look at Katrina. The military was dragged in reluctantly. That is the best example that we have in the real world that is Amerika.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My plan, my suggestion, is to pre arrange a meeting place with your family. I have already done this. High ground with plenty of supplies. Think resort property. Winter homes that have supplies (canned) and plenty of cover. I am 95% sure that there will never be a situation X in my lifetime, but If I sat back and didn't plan for it, I would be an idiot. A few weapons with plenty of ammo for protection and hunting, a good idea of how to survive in the outdoors, and a few people who you can trust with your life. I will be in the mountains of NC. If the OP needs a place to go, think Skiing. Money won't be important in my opinion, your skills will be. My hope is that we can blog about this in 2040 and still not have to have expireneced it.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I dont mean to sound rude, but do you even know if situation X will ever happen? Is there any solid proof that this is the way the world will go?

I personally would like the idea of a situation x type event to happen, im not sure why, but like I said before, is there any hard evidence that this is what is going to happen, or is it all just scary lies told by people on this site?

Off-topic: I see your a Geordie lad, Anti-Tyrant. Nice to meet another Geordie on this site

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Opulisum]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
its just an exercise of an overactive imagination...just what if scenarios... kind of like what would you do if you won the lottery ..

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
New Zealand is 'considered' one of the 'safer' areas of the World. ...

Exactly why is that?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Opulisum
I dont mean to sound rude, but do you even know if situation X will ever happen? Is there any solid proof that this is the way the world will go?

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Opulisum]

You don't need proof that something will happen to prepare for the possibility of it happening. It's what you do in everyday life all the time!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

It doesn't matter how mobile you are, if you are in a group near the beginning you have to be prepared for the event of targeted strikes on your position.

Those fighters, warships and submarines aren't just going to go away because there isn't an acting political or commanding element anymore.

If it's really that bad, even one single person has little chance of survival. Right now, just about everyone is in a "group" of some sort. If outright extermination is the agenda, being alone isn't going to be much help.

Warships are no likely to waste firepower on a small position. Even aircraft are unlikely to do so unless they are supporting surface elements.

I still say I would prefer to roll platoon-sized. High mobility, easily dispersed and camoflaged in a small area, yet capable of spreading some formidable firepower over an enemy.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nsk123

What will you do if there’s a year of poor harvest? Your stock probably won’t last until the next harvest and you can’t depend on hunting, fishing if you are in a big group of people.

Well, that's one reason why I would make deliberate preperations for a platoon-sized survival community. Quite feaseable to supply 40-50 people for 3-5 years if properly prepared, even in an underground bunker.

Hunting and fishing could certainly sustain that number of people, as long as the group commands a large enough area to deter poaching.

Then there is also the "raiding" capacity of a group this size. Not to sound mean, but my group could go out and spend all day hunting the one or two people here and there who thought it would be better to go it alone. Maybe even pick off a small family or two.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
For the record..
SITUATION X does not just mean an alien invasion, nuclear war, or asteroid hitting planet earth.
A situation x could be anything that hits where you live, (Gosh I hate to use Katrina for an example) such as a natural disaster.
Is it possible that where you live could be hit by a tornado, hurricane, forest fire, flooding or a blackout that lasted more than a few days?
Could you have survived the aftermath of Katrina, or Hurricane Andrew, UNPREPARED????
The point is to be prepared for taking care of your loved ones should ANYTHING happen, no matter what that unknown scenario might be.
It doesn't mean there are immortal Mayans posting on this site spreading fear like a disease.
One of man's worst traits is that he is rarely prepared for anything in life.
Don't say you weren't warned.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Larger groups have larger quantities of supplies, thus making them more of a target than a single person.

Hit and run raids, stay mobile, evade detection. Avoid being identified as a group until after the enemy has comitted.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Thanks for the warning.
We'll keep an eye out for your platoon, and the raids you plan to do on a small family or two.
Unbelievable.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RubyGloom

We'll keep an eye out for your platoon, and the raids you plan to do on a small family or two. Unbelievable.

Quite believeable actually, survival of the fittest. No one asked if it would be more moral to not be in a group, the question is, would it be better or not to be in a group for survival.

I'm not saying I would go in and raid families for their goods, but if it was a matter of my own kids eating or not, you can bet I would.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
If our Civilisation comes crashing down around us- then to Hell with people ! Go it alone or wth as few as you can.

People will be hungry quick and when that happens- it will be WWIII in the towns and cities wether the military is involved or not. Surviving the first cull is very important- if you don't, then long- term thinking is only a dream...

Consider the following:

Decide where you can go and hide out for awhile and be safe, even if it's 200 miles. Driving will likely be unnacceptably dangerous in any sort of martial law. Soon after, I believe autos will be prime targets as survivors start streaming out of the cities. A world of dangerous bandits.
Stash dried food, a bladder of water, thrift- store clothes and shoes at locations 10-20 miles apart along your path. I used 10" PVC pipe, capped and ( usually) buried.If anybody asks ( none did in my case) tell them it's a time capsule in memory of your...
Put this right under an urban swingset; it doesn't matter. Just remember that GPS might not work ( for civilians ).
Knowing that it is there will give you a huge advantage as far as taking a safe route.
Driving ( again ) will probably be a suicidal affar.
At any rate, if this happens as mahy ATS members speculate- then the human race and I are divorced. I won't harm or injure or wish any ill will on anyone... but, I'd just like to avoid everyone from there on out.
The lessons from the school of hard knocks have disgusted me enough... this Sit.X would, for myself, be the end.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by RubyGloom

We'll keep an eye out for your platoon, and the raids you plan to do on a small family or two. Unbelievable.

Quite believeable actually, survival of the fittest. No one asked if it would be more moral to not be in a group, the question is, would it be better or not to be in a group for survival.

I'm not saying I would go in and raid families for their goods, but if it was a matter of my own kids eating or not, you can bet I would.

Morals DO come into play when you speak of raiding others. Because that includes violence of the worst kind. I hate to think of families with children subjected to.."Survival of the fittest".

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skelkie3

I like your plan. Driving would definitely be out of the question.
The only thing is being prepared for meeting others along the way, that will seek to take what you have.
The longer the distance to travel..the higher the risk you may not make it there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join