It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 4th of July with my flag at Half Mast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So often throughout my life I have felt such incredible pride to live in this once great nation. I still remember the day when I signed on the dotted line for Uncle Sam at the tender age of 20.

I wore my uniform like a conquering hero, but alas as I look back that uniform was only a new fashion to an age old story of the Emperor's New Clothes.

My pride is gone.

Gratefully, it has been replaced by humility. I stand naked before you in my shame for having been a party to the demise of this land.

I saw what was coming. I sang it from the roof tops, but no one listened. So I stopped...

I gave up too early.

I hope my children will forgive me some day.

Now I must fight not for my country, but for my family and their right to eat unpoisoned food and drink clean unadulterated water.

I hope they forgive me.

I will take this 4th of July as a day of mourning for our great and wonderful nation that was and pray for the day when my children can truly understand why I still love this country as much as I do.

My FLAG WILL BE AT HALF MAST for the millions who have died for this country and what we have done with their sacrifice.

I hope my children forgive me.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Tapped In]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
the truth is a hard pill to swallow indeed.

But at least you belong to the people not ignorant for it, so I hope your confession made you feel better.

I respect your turnaround and it only proves moral character and me making respect people even more because so many are sheepwalking and you awakened

If only the people at the top could fall as hard as we can do

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

They'll have their day...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yea my flag is flying at half mast too, but I'm darn near 50 so I guess that's to be expected.

That was a pretty flippant comment wasn't it?

Just a send off to the shovel brigade. Everyone seems to be standing around with a shovel ready to bury this nation. The second fall of Rome, the death of a once mighty and proud and decent society.

If America is to be buried it won't be because the politicians sold us out, it will be because the citizens gave up.

It won't be because there was no fight in our military, our government or our services. We shall perish because there was no longer any fight in the citizens. We chose comfort over struggle, Peace over justice and solitude over the march on the street.

You may shovel dirt in our face, but I still believe we can rally.

A fools hope, I know. But I would rather have a fools hope than none at all.

May you find peace in the grave you have dug for this nation.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I take full responsibility for my inaction...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Semper Fi, mrwupy.

The general populace has reached the nadir of apathy. Nowhere to go but up to anger. When the shooting starts let us all remember the last three major revolutions in this world, the French, Bolshevik, and the American, were all fought over the rights of the citizens.

Some things never change.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

And what about you? What have you done, besides pump your chest. We will fight! Fight like never before... But not in the same manner that many have come accustomed to.

Americans Survive, but tomorrow is a day of mourning.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by garyo1954

Unless we understand our mistakes, we will never be able to right ourselves...

Semper WHAT? Marines beating their chest make me sick. Proud of what?

Those days are DONE. It's time to start using the muscle in our heads.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

You get sick?

Hey! I'm the one who is DAV as a result of protecting your right to get mad at me for saying Semper Fi.

How can I get mad at you when you could never understand the brotherhood involved?

I'm cool with that.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tapped In
My FLAG WILL BE AT HALF MAST for the millions who have died for this country and what we have done with their sacrifice.

Obviously you've completely lost respect for your country and your flag. Flying your flag at half mast on a day when it's not supposed to be violates flag law, which makes it an act of disrespect. By doing this, you're degrading the act itself which is only supposed to happen on official holidays (like those honoring the "millions who have died for this country") and thus degrading the very persons you're intending to honor through your actions.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

reply to post by mrwupy

And what about you? What have you done, besides pump your chest. We will fight! Fight like never before... But not in the same manner that many have come accustomed to.

Americans Survive, but tomorrow is a day of mourning.

When the time comes to march in the street I will be there. In the mean time I write letters to the editor in the local and statewide newspapers and hope to touch a nerve. My stories have been published both online and in the real world. I write, I educate, I do what I can to wake up those that are asleep.

Have you ever had someone tell you that they read a story you have written and as they read it, all they could do was cry? Has one of your children come to you and said they shared one of your stories with their friends and the biggest, baddest one of them cried when they read it? Has your child ever told you they think your the most spiritual person they have ever met?

I've experienced these things, and it humbles me. I am not worthy of this.

My daughter is at Fort Campbell and will be shipped off to Afghanistan later this year. I didn't do that either. Hell, I tried to talk her out of it. I'm proud of her though. Regardless of what may happen.

tomorrow may be a day of mourning my friend, as you say, but this is not tomorrow. If you cross a bridge before you come to it then you have to cross it twice.

I'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here. Today I do what I can to open the eyes of those asleep.

To hell with the consequences.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi neighbor! Happy fourth of July be it a somber one. Remember what the fight is for. Tomorrow our children can watch the good old fireworks, too bad some of them are too young to understand. Just remember that it is a good thing. I wouldn't want to pass on the generation of horror that I have witnessed in my lifetime. Anyhow theres plenty of beer in my fridge, I'll be happy to share with you. When it comes time to draw arms and reclaim our freedom, I will be right beside you.

PS Your children will forgive you!

[edit on 3-7-2008 by 12.21.12]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Have you ever had someone tell you that they read a story you have written and as they read it, all they could do was cry? Has one of your children come to you and said they shared one of your stories with their friends and the biggest, baddest one of them cried when they read it? Has your child ever told you they think your the most spiritual person they have ever met?

YES to all of the above, but not about what matters right now. My prayers are with your daughter. I wish her all the strength in the world.

Again, I take complete responsibility for my actions and writing this piece had to be done RIGHT NOW. Tomorrow is an other matter.

I live and breathe right here, right now. Being a writer in your own right, you understand what it means to write when inspired...

Even when I don't feel very good about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Thanks for the lesson. I am more educated because of you, a TRUE American.

ALL HAIL THE BUSH!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Thanks for the lesson. I am more educated because of you, a TRUE American.

ALL HAIL THE BUSH!

Great way to deflect this from the real issue. This has nothing to do with Bush or any other politician for that matter. This has everything to do with those who have served and in some cases given their lives for that flag and what it stands for. Your little act of defiance is a slap in the face for those you claim to be honoring.

link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Thank you brother. I'll have a cold one saved for you as well!

link   

I live and breathe right here, right now. Being a writer in your own right, you understand what it means to write when inspired...

Even when I don't feel very good about it.

Saaaaalute!!!!!

I'm surprised some of the things I've written here hasn't gotten me banned. Hell, I may get banned over some of the things I've written this very night.

How does that old saying go......"I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Peace my friend, Keep up the good fight. It is only in the sharing of each other that we as a people grow.

Love and light,

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

WELL SAID. Peace and love to you and yours!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Knocks on the wall.

Three times.

Come over and have a cold one right now!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't think that the United States is in bad enough shape to warrant this, to be honest.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join