It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Lilypad" Cities Designed To Combat Rising Sea Levels (PHOTOS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

"Lilypad" Cities Designed To Combat Rising Sea Levels (PHOTOS)

www.huffingtonpost.com

Scientists are preparing to deal with 'climate-change refugees' as rising sea levels threaten ever more lands. Architect Vincent Callebaut has come up with an inspired solution: "Lilypad" cities that will essentially be giant, self-sustaining ships floating across the world's seas...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am all for making sure humans are not playing a roll in Climate Change and doing all we can to alter our systems to accomplish this, but this is AWESOME!

As a landscape architect Ia m into design and the fusion of landscape and architecture (duh) and this is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. Be sure to click on the link so you can see the images.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Venus Project has been talking about this sort of thing for a while now. They have lots of ideas and "plans."

Venus Project

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I have issues with these futuristic sci-fi inspired arcologies. What happens when a category 4 or 5 hurricane hits it? What happens when they experience a massive tsunami wave and are in shallower waters? What powers them? If it's anything other than a carbon based feul, expect it to take forever for them to move it from point A to point B, making fleeing from large storms a pipe dream... and if it's powered by petroleum, how ridiculously huge will the tanks have to be and how will they get refilled?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
WOW! Nothing has impressed me for a long time - - until now.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
i was watching a show on the History channel i think it was about futuristic projects, it was an all day marathon of it. It talked about this exact same thing. ANd a class 5 hurricane was something they talked about. They had a simulation video of the ship and the hurricane colliding (they also did a tsunami) and niether of them sunk the ship. It was left perfectly fine when the waves settled. Pretty intense stuff.

Another thing that was talked about was a city that kind of "popped" into place, or snapped might be a better word, idk but it was meant for underwater puposes as well as a mega tower off the coast of Japan that could withstand an earthquake and hurricane.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I was just about to say the same thing. Anyone seen the movie Poseidon, old or new version? What if something like that happens and the "city" capsizes and decides to roll over?

Ever seen a lily pad, as they suggest these cities would be like, in a pond at the park or somewhere? I just happen to walk by the park a few weeks ago and threw a rock in and the lily pad moved back and forth of course, it didn't sink, but what happens when you throw an even bigger rock and actually hit it? Hm, I have a feeling this is not a good idea and I don't plan to live in one.

Hasn't water been a problem these past few years, and now they want to put a city directly on it?

[Edited for spelling]

[edit on 3-7-2008 by UnforgiveableSin]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Imagine life if nothing new was ever tried because of fear something might go wrong.

"Boat People" are still thriving.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This does sound quite amazing, it would be quite an engineering feat...but then again this is coming from the Huffington Post...which isn't exactly known for it's unbiased and accurate reporting.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Why does it look like a resort? I much prefer those Thunderbird types.
One Child Policy now!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
What powers them?

One would think they are powered by hydro-electricity and solar power, high ocean winds could also be a viable source of energy.

What Annee said is quite true, btw - people have this irrational fear of changing their way of life that i find really quite sickening.

Of course... there's a difference between having a fear of changing your life, and being unable to because there are elements which simply aren't ready for you to make that change.

Sorry, i'm off on a tangent here.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
wow, lilypad cities sounds really cool. Reminds me lots of stargate Atlantis where they have the whole city on floating on the ocian. That would be really cool to see here on earth sometime.

-fm

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
A big element in the world of design is something called 'conceptual design'. These are not plans that deal with the 'detailed design' of how and where a thing is to be constructed but are done to generate 'ideas' that are used to drive progress and development.

The idea is exploration and of course critical questions have to be asked, but not in the spirit of 'killing an idea' but in the spirit of further 'concepts'.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
A big element in the world of design is something called 'conceptual design'. These are not plans that deal with the 'detailed design' of how and where a thing is to be constructed but are done to generate 'ideas' that are used to drive progress and development.

The idea is exploration and of course critical questions have to be asked, but not in the spirit of 'killing an idea' but in the spirit of further 'concepts'.

I get that idea, I'm a Civil Engineer project manager specializing in transportation design, so believe me, I've sat in on and conducted many brain storming sessions. However (and this might just be the natural dislike/disagreeabillity between Engineers and archetects coming to the surface) one of the things we as a group tend to chuckle about are the use of the conceptualization process for generating things that are complete pipe dreams.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk
wow, lilypad cities sounds really cool. Reminds me lots of stargate Atlantis where they have the whole city on floating on the ocian. That would be really cool to see here on earth sometime.

-fm

I believe Stargate Atlantis derived the concept from Jacques Fresco of the Venus Project.

But Frank Herbert writes of such cities after a fashion in The Jesus Incident

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

I get that idea, I'm a Civil Engineer project manager specializing in transportation design, so believe me, I've sat in on and conducted many brain storming sessions. However (and this might just be the natural dislike/disagreeabillity between Engineers and archetects coming to the surface) one of the things we as a group tend to chuckle about are the use of the conceptualization process for generating things that are complete pipe dreams.

In all likelihood - - pipe dreams never realized because of lack of funding.

Not because of impossibility.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yes, theorhetically speaking anything is (or should be) possible given unlimited resources. Unfortunately, any potential project has to undergo a cost-benefit analysis beforehand. The average person never stops to think about this before complaining when something goes wrong, however. For example, yes, New Orleans could have been beefed up to be hurricane and flood proof... but it would have required one of the largest domestic engineering expenditures in history to do so because the entire city would have had to be "bathtubbed" to prevent what ultimately wrecked the city after Katrina, that being water coming up from the ground under the levees. Imagine how loud people would complain if we were actually spending trillions of dollars on projects like that.

top topics

join