It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pay-By-Phone Commerce Coming Closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Pay-By-Phone Commerce Coming Closer

www.theregister.co.uk

Whipping out your mobile phone to pay for a sandwich at lunchtime could soon become a reality. The global trade body for the mobile industry and a European monetary organisation have signed a pact to speed up the deployment of handset payment services in Europe.

The GSM Association (GSMA) and the European Payments Council (EPC), which represents 8000 banks in the EU, will now jointly co-ordinate efforts to get phones paying for just about everything, from impulse purchases in shops to restaurant meals.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What a trip! Add to the list of things coming to cell phone near you-Using it like a Debit Card! I guess that's not too far off calling in a debit purchase though, only all of the information is already chipped into the phone?

UICC is a smartcard used in mobile terminals in GSM and UMTS networks to allow them to communicate securely with the banks. NFC devices can be built directly into mobile phones to allow short-range wireless communications between, say, a mobile phone and reader, much like the Oyster card system used on the London Underground.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Makes me think about the whole mark of the beast thing, actually. Cell phones are rapidly becoming imbedded even in impoverished nations. They already can track us through most of them. I wouldn't doubt that some tech firm somewhere is working on a chip for every cell phone that contains all of a person's unique information, which someday will almost certainly include some form of national database information unique to each phone. And now you can use your phone to conduct transactions at the point of sale? "None shall buy or sell lest they possess the mark of the beast." Scares the hell out of me as I sit here staring at my Motorola Razr sitting on my desk next to my PC.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Makes me think about the whole mark of the beast thing, actually. Cell phones are rapidly becoming imbedded even in impoverished nations. They already can track us through most of them. I wouldn't doubt that some tech firm somewhere is working on a chip for every cell phone that contains all of a person's unique information, which someday will almost certainly include some form of national database information unique to each phone. And now you can use your phone to conduct transactions at the point of sale? "None shall buy or sell lest they possess the mark of the beast." Scares the hell out of me as I sit here staring at my Motorola Razr sitting on my desk next to my PC.

I'm with you on that sentiment, It's potentially creepy. Not so much that it can be done, that part's cool.

I saw this as it evolved from beepers and such and, at least in my life beepers and cellphones are like a leash, no time for 'me' any second that thing can go off! ... Must stay in touch with the collective...., need the web on my phone... tv... streaming news...

Now add to that the possibility that eventually there could be paces where only cell-phone transactions can happen, no cash, no plastic - only e-money.

Could we be that out of touch with the potential abuse and power that confers on the 'virtual' gatekeepers?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well, we're already seeing the beginnings of it. Those Visa check card commercials where they've got a line of people all checking out their lunch in a cafeteria, the line is moving along smoothly to the beat of the music showing each person swiping their card and moving along with hardly a pause, suddenly a guy tries to pay in cash and the line screeches to a halt with everyone looking at him as if they wanted him dead. It's other places, too. I was in a McDonald's in downtown Seattle a couple weeks ago, one of those smaller stand alones that don't participate in the dollar menu kiosk type Arches, the sign at the counter said "NO CASH: Only accepting credit/debit cards." It's a sad world we live in when the electronic equivalency of a man's money is accepted while the physical embodiment of his laboring is refused.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Jeez, welcome to 2004...

That's when this tech started to be used over here. At this point, I can use my cellphone to pay at just about any convenience store and about 50% of all vending machines. And I live in the boonies. Last time I was in Tokyo, my cellphone also became my hotel room key and train pass.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This gets pathetic, now if this happens everywhere crime will go up huge amounts.

Only one item needs to be stolen to have everything on a person......

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by umbr45

Well they could always put a thumb scaner on the back of the phone to verify its you . At least that way they gotta take your thumb too . .

But im sure that it would cause as much of a stir as this is .

To vox2442

Thanks for the firsthand account of the tech . In your honest opinion . Do you think this is a good thing ? Or too much faith put in a single device?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Cash is just as much a representation of your "reward for hard work" as anything electronic. Paper money is just a cheque guaranteeing the bearer a payment if presented to the issuing bank.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
My phone has a fingerprint scanner - something which is pretty common - in addition to a number of other features like a user-selected maximum frequency/withdrawl limit, remote-shutdown, GPS tracking... it's quite secure. The GPS tracking feature is neat - if your phone gets lost or stolen, you can call the company, enter your passcodes, and they will do a real-time check on the exact location of the phone. Lost mine a few months back - called them, and they told me pretty much exactly where it was sitting. Useful. If they track it, and it's moving, they can lock it remotely, and presumably notify the cops of the location. Pretty cool, IMO. My real wallet is a lot less secure, frankly.

Add to that the ability to set a monthly limit (or base the debit on a specific amount that you've "charged" the phone with) - and your risk is minimal if the thing does get stolen and used. Most people use it as a change purse - and that's how it's been advertised over here. It's an E-wallet. Small purchases. Bottle of tea at the station. Pack of smokes and a paper on your way to the office. It's useful for me from time to time, but maybe not for everyone.

Something to understand about the cellphone mentality here is this: getting a land line will cost you upwards of $700 up front. That's what it was when I moved here, years back, probably gone up by now. Compare that with a cellphone - which can be bought for next to nothing at any convenience store, or be given to you "free" if you sign a contract... and it's easy to see why they've been adopted as much as they have. I, for one, don't have a land line - and as far as other apartment-dwellers go, I honestly don't know anyone else who does either. Saw a stat yesterday that less than 50% of all calls in Japan were made from land lines last month.

So the tech is there, in people's hands. As a consumer, you just have to sit back and watch the companies vie for your contract. Digital TV, GPS, Navigation systems, internet, e-wallet, 5.0MP cameras... iit's not a question of having too much faith in the device, rather using the device to it's full capacity.

Frankly, I rely on my desktop for FAR more...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
To vox2442

Thanks for the firsthand account of the tech . In your honest opinion . Do you think this is a good thing ? Or too much faith put in a single device?

To be honest, putting your faith into cash and a wallet is far more crazy!

I used to have wallets, but after losing a couple, with cash in to the tune of of £300 and all my cards and ID in too, I decided having a wallet (a single point of failure) was madness.

I now don't use a wallet and disperse my cards and cash about my person. If I lose one thing, I don't lose it all.

Also, if you lose cash, you cannot get it back. If you lose or have your debit card stolen, then any money spent by the thieves will be refunded, provided you report it to the bank in a timely manner. Same for these devices, given voz2442's testimony about the security of such devices, I'd say they are a damn site more secure than cash/wallet/debit card.

new topics

top topics

join