It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's the Weather In Canada?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
With all the neverending, ongoing floods of crap in the U.S. what with the erosion of our rights, and civil liberties to make way for god knows what, I was thinking about packing up and leaving this fine institution of a country for greener pastures. I mean, if you don't like it, you can always leave, right? Voting has become choosing the lesser of evils and IMO, the U.S. doesn't stand for what it used to anymore. Not saying that is a fact, but only my opinion. I feel like the U.S. doesn't represent the ideals it was founded upon anymore.

So I was thinking that Canada sounds pretty nice, but I don't know a whole lot about the country. If you were going to leave the U.S., which country would you pick to go to and why? Where do you think the best alternative to the good ol' U-S of A is? Also, some of it has to do with the fact that the only place I've ever been outside of the U.S. is Mexico and would like to explore other options around the globe. Who knows, I may find that after traveling, the U.S. may be the best option. Right now I don't know because I haven't experienced it. So any suggestions?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sugar baby...of course I'm biased, but Scotland is way up there with the best...small, wealthy, incredibly beautiful, with it's own oil supply and only one land border to worry about, great food, the best whiskey in the world, the biggest arts festival in the world, and long, dusky white summer nights. Ok, so we're not known for our balmy climate, but there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. Also, we're a clever bunch of people and have been responsible for many of the world's most revolutionary inventions...not too bad a rep for only 5 million people.

*grin!*

Cait

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You make Scotland sound so nice Cait...It really does sound like a great place to live. What are the negatives though? There's got to be some negatives. I just want to make sure wherever I go, I don't leave the frying pan to jump into the fire. You know?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Where I live is kind of like Minnesota. The winters can be cold, but you deal with them. The summers are nice. They can be hot. My cousin lives in Georgia and he had a hard time with it. Mostly because it is not so much the intensity of the heat but the length of it. It would be from 30-35C but last from 10AM until around 9PM. The sun is up longer. The girls are super good looking. Lots of jobs, lots of money, lots of toys. Sure there are taxes, but it really isn't as bad as everyone thinks. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. We like to drink beer and party, so if that appeals to you, come on up and we can fit you for your flannel.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I live in Deep South, USA so its always hot and muggy down here in the summers and a VERY cold, wet type of cold in the winter. Our weather here really fluxuates on a daily basis... It would not be surprising to me if it was like 65 degrees tomorrow after a week of 95 degree heat.

I hate the weather here. Its so bad for my allergies. But unfortunately, the weather is the least of our worries here in the United States.

[edit on 7/3/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Negatives...ok, I guess there are a few...property is really expensive, but in our part of Scotland at least, it's built to last centuries...our house is already 160 years old, and in damn fine shape. The flip side of short summer nights are long winter nights when the sun gets just an inch above the horizon, and SAD levels are higher than almost anywhere else...although there is a real comfort in a couple of months of almost perpetual darkness somehow...I think so anyway. It does get cold, maybe down to -25 if you're lucky, and getting snowed in happens most years at least once. Don't expect much above 75 in the summer, and we are so wee, almost everywhere has an onshore breeze. Roads are crap...just too small and windy... and it can take hours to get anywhere.

People here are maybe not the most gregarious, till they've had some whiskey anyway, and are natually quite reserved and maybe slightly suspicious, but the politics are generally liberal and our legal system in one of the best in the world, in my opinion.

I like it! *grin!*

Cait

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
And we have pure, clear, fresh air like no-where else I've every experienced, and everything looks so sharp...the light and colours are amazing, any time of the year....and we get Northern Lights in the winter. If anything tells you that God exists, it's the Northern Lights.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

O.K. you got me! I will be moving to Scotland, a.s.a.p!
I wonder how much a one-way ticket to the U.K. is?
I currently live in north east Tennessee and I have been told by a Scotsman that it looks quit similar to the highlands. So I shouldn't have too hard a time adapting.
BTW I love cold weather so no problem there!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I live in the Highlands, and it's stunning....you won't be disappointed. Come and visit!

Sorry sugar baby...this is turning into a Scottish Tourist Board info thingy...back to the thread....*blush!*

Cait

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BroonStone

Scotland does sound great doesn't it? I've never seen the Northern Lights before...except in a bag...

But it definitely sounds like a place that could be way better than where I'm living now. That's for sure.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
I live in the Highlands, and it's stunning....you won't be disappointed. Come and visit!

Sorry sugar baby...this is turning into a Scottish Tourist Board info thingy...back to the thread....*blush!*

Cait

Well the purpose of the thread is to get information on where people think are great places to live in the world. So I'm open to all ideas.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
HOT really HOT, 30c today(to me that's hot), and more work than you could imagine, I work in the oil industry and wife as well, she for that big Dutch oil company and me for the largest American construction engineering company( building a new refinery), if you want to work we got it, we are so short of manpower that Mickey Dees is paying 15hr, I live in the Province of Alberta, if your a tradesman this the place to be.

I forgot to mention last January it hit -49c.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hmmm..Deep South not so good always...my family live in Texas, and I have no idea how they do it...the heat is a killer for a start. And I miss fresh air. Ah yes...and we're so far north we don't even get ants....really! At least not many. And the spiders are wee too. No bears. No guns...unless you're a gamekeeper. I have to start a Scotland thread, I think....and we're an hour from Amsterdam...did I mention that?

Cait

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Scotland, that must be where all the beautiful women live

Here in New Brunswick, East Coast of Canada, summers are not too hot, wow, lot of fog and rain this summer.
Winter sucks.

The weather here, it's what I am used to.
I like it here.

Only problem with Canada is Stephen Harper.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

Only problem with Canada is Stephen Harper.

I respectfully disagree LOL.

Regarding the matter at hand: I have lived all over the US and now I live in Toronto. The thing that I can say for certain is that no place is paradise. Every single place you will ever go has its own set of problems. They migiht seem paltry compared to the set you have now, but once they become your problems they are paltry no longer. NO place is paradise. You have to just find the place that suits you best and with the fewest problems that effect you.

Canada is great, but it is not the perfect enclave for US defectors it looks like from outside the border.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
Well the purpose of the thread is to get information on where people think are great places to live in the world. So I'm open to all ideas.

I guess I am biased but I wouldnt want to live in any other country but here.....maybe Canada if I had to, but I love the variety and wide differences in climates here in Oz

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Have you ever even traveled outside the States? You may want to do that first, as every country is different with its cultures, etc. (as you know) Plus you are asking for biased opinions and their reality of their country may not be your reality when you get there. I know this based on my travels abroad.

I always find it a little odd when Americans complain about our country and threaten to leave....IF they have never even left it and lived amongst the people of OTHER countries. *shrug*

One thing you need to keep in mind: The grass is always greener on the other side. Then you get to the other side and see up close its a little more browner

With that said. I love this country and dont have too many complaints - yet.
But it is ALWAYS nice to go visit other countries!! Not just as a tourist, but get in there and live amongst the locals!

[edit on 4-7-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Do it come up to Canada, feels a lot less crowded, umm not really much to do. Depends on where you live. Our winters are about -15 to -25 degrees C avg. We have several odd cold spells once in a while.

The best area that I would like to live in is the province of British Columbia. Their winters are a lot warmer (barely hits the negative temperatures) but gets very wet. Summer is generally nice there. Beautiful sceneries. But it will be a bit more expensive to live there. I'd say it pretty much owns Alberta. But here in Alberta we got West Edmonton Mall!!! Largest shopping mall so far but not for long. :p

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well I live in British Columbia and I would have to say if you like green this is the place to be. The only draw back is BC can be soggy cause we are in a rain belt and the skys are grey quite often. But Its good overall. I have lived lots of places and I always come home here, we don't get to bad of winters though.

I guess it would depend on what kind of weather you like. Alberta is dry, and gets a lot of snow in the winter. The East coast has lots of trees, rain, and snow. So it all depends what you want.

I like the Montana belt. The mountains are great there.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Have you ever even traveled outside the States? You may want to do that first, as every country is different with its cultures, etc. (as you know) Plus you are asking for biased opinions and their reality of their country may not be your reality when you get there. I know this based on my travels abroad.

Well no i haven't. I said in my original post that the only place outside the US i've been is Mexico. And that's really what I was planning to do was do some traveling to other countries and see which one I like. I also said that I may find that the US is the best option when I am done.

I just want to get opinions and see what other countries are like and get some opinions. I particularly think I will like it in Canada and would like to live there for a little while. But that's just from what I've heard from friends that have been there and back. The only reason they didn't stay was because they are tied to jobs and family here. Thanks for the input though. I respect your experience.

And I would also like to add that lately America has not been fun for me. I'm just speaking out of personal experience here, not trying to down the country. But I have been literally trampled by the legal system and it has failed me and made my life a living hell for the past year and a half. Frankly I'm just sick of what I feel like is a growing police state here. Not to say others have experienced that, but I have.

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join