It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS photographers (need help)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
need some help on camera. (well picking one)

Nikon D40

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215119496&sr=1-1

or

Nikon D60 AF-S
www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215120704&sr=1-5

which one would you guys buy?
its mostly for taking pictures of things (Random things) and events

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm not really much of a photographer but I thought I'd try to help you out.

Here is a page I found on the Nikon D40 and it lists some pros and cons of the camera.

www.digital-slr-guide.com...

And here is a page on the Nikon D60 Af-s

www.ephotozine.com...

Hopefully this is helpful

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I would go with the Nikon D60.

That is depending on how much you are willing to put toward a Nikon camera. If the D60 is too much, stick with the D40.

Most of all......

Make sure the camera has MANUAL settings capabilities on it!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

Manual is a must

i only like auto for stationary abd close objects, for far objects and moving manual does it

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The D60 seems to have no big improvements over the D40.
If you wearn't already invested in the Nikon system (glass, chargers, etc) I'd recommend a jump over to Canon. Their latest entry-level DSLRs have way more useful features such as live view, useful for a massive range of situations. I'm in the process of upgrading to a 40D right now, but a 450D would probably be a great camera for you. It usually comes with a decent lens.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

sweet
thanks
that looks nice

going to look around a for a good price now

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The internet hands down always has the best prices, but it is advisable to buy from the big supplies, like B&H and Adorama, as they come with warranties in case anything goes wrong.
Brick and mortar shops jack up prices, so much so that as a general rule you cannot buy cameras here in Australia without paying $3-400 excess. Ebay is also good if you keep a sharp eye out. Buying used DSLRs isn't an issue, Ive found. Just make sure the seller has a good feedback rating, 99% or above.

Good luck, and remember the camera only makes up about 1/4 of the system. The lens you stick on it is way way more important.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Ive been looking at getting either a 450D or 40D both from canon.Id recommend looking into those as well.Dont flame me though im not a nikon hater they make awesome equipment but over my ways there is just about no where to purchase nikon accessories and i can access canon stuff through work for cheap.If you are going to take pics of sporting events id go for the one with the faster burst.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The main pulling points of the 40D are the faster, extended burst rate and the extra durability of the body, as well as faster autofocus. If you don't need those things, and 98% of photographers dont even though they won't admit it, then the extra expense of the 40D isn't really worth it. You would be much better off putting that money towards a lens.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
im getting the 450D they have a £50 rebate or something from cannon
so its only £449

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Good choice!Remember to put some pics up in the members photography thread and let if you could let us know how you like the camera.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Azador]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Good choice
Any questions regarding anything to do with anything related to the camera, just drop me a line.

new topics

top topics

join