It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can what you read affect your sexual-orientation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I remember not so long ago there was a time when I didn't care that I wasn't in a relationship with another girl because I was happy being by myself. Then I read 1984, and, I started to think about what it's like to be with another girl, from the part where Winston and Julia were in love. When I read Speaker for the Dead I was thinking about how surprising it was when I found out that Valentine was married in the book. And when I read these kinds of things I see the people together are usually happy.

That being said, could, what you read, and what you watch on television, have an impact on what your sexual-orientation is? Could it be that someone who is gay is drawn to gay people because they simply don't know what it's like or don't understand what it's like to be with a female? Is it just genetics? I don't believe that people are gay because of purely random factors that play into their lives. What is your opinion?

I'm not saying that people that are gay are bad, and should not have rights, but, I'm just curious as to what lead them to believe that they should be with another man, like how we believe we should be with a women.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Increasingly, I think that there are too many factors at work to really know the proximate causes for anyone's sexuality.

There are genetic questions, there is a toxic world laced with xenoestrogens, there are BlackOps that test all sorts of horrors on human beings, there are so many societal stressors than one wonders if homosexuality would not be a response to overpopulation or deeply felt uncertainty about living in this world, and the list goes on...

My own experience is that it is important for a human being to study who she is and learn to love the wondrous way she is put together -- regardless of anyone else's assessment.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I watched The Birdcage the other night and I still dig chicks!

www.imdb.com...

I don't think people choose their orientation nor do I think they can be persuaded by some form of media. It is just the way they are.

Becker

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think that on a very deep level everyone can change their sexual orientation (which I've said in one of those other threads on homosexuality). There is no such thing as "that's the way I/you/they am/are" IMO, because that's just an identity, which can be changed.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't think that sexual orientation is a decision that anyone makes.

I have always asked anyone who thinks that it is a decision if they could imagine making that decision themselves. That usually end the argument

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Decisions do not only happen on the conscious level.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Gay man. Happy. Eight + year relationship. Had a REAL problem admitting (mostly to myself) that I was gay. I do not believe this is a choice. You wouldn't wake up one day and decide to make your life that much harder by being gay. I wouldn't ... but I accepted who I am ... and now I have someone to love and I am happy ... shouldn't that be more important to what life is about than the sex of the person we love.

Not at all offended by this post and sorry if I got off topic a little ... I enjoy reading what everyone thinks (mostly) .... I just don't think that the OP's question would make much sense to him if he were in a gay mans situation ... homosexuality is a natural phenomenon ... it happens in animals too. Can I explain it? No. But I'm giving my 3 1/2 cents. My life has been much more stressful since coming out to people ... would you actually choose that? No matter the enviromental/cultural factors which we ALL share in some ways with others of different sexual orientations? For what purpose? To be different?

Thanks for posing the question as I had often wondered these sort of things in the past ... but I've formed an opinion ... and my opinion is that is just how nature works.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by SpookshowJon]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
that's an interesting question, but you see most people are still stuck in "the matrix" a system that programes you to think and see things in a certain perspective, it may have nothing to do with genetics but it may have evrything to do with certain aspects of humanity that we've failed to undersatnd, like liking people of the same sex. we are born in this stereo typical world that puts emphasis on duality, good- bad, man-woman, pure-evil, black-white, and so on the list goes on as much as you can imagine, unfortunately the truth of the matter is the reality is "grey" there's a middle ground and not two exact opposites, so the fact that that we are brought up in society where emphasis is put on heterosexual relationships heterosexual becomes the norm- "the normal way" and the homo becomes the exception, we asume that evrybody is that way yet in reality it's not thats why you are inclined to think and wonder at the fact that one man can be emotionally attched to another man the same for women...and the possibility of even developing a sexual relationship with this person..gays only have a different sexual preference from we heterosexuals, thats it the rest is shared red blood, normal heart beat, body temprature black brown hair etc.., but it's unfortunate that in the world we live in people dont want to be or even embrace how different they are, difference is shunned, it's stigmatized, it's feared, how come we dont fear each other simply because we all have different finger prints and specific DNA for each human being? lot's of humanity is suffering because of this guise of "nature" trying to explain the "natural order of life" when we cannot evn understnd ourselves...bottom line is all this confusion and ignorance is cause by poor communication...if we really kno how human we are and what we are capable of we wouldnt be fighting conflicting and questioning such trivial matters and having another human beign seat in court to decide if 2 men or two women can stay together, it's been said, that man created culture to tame nature...in my view if we could only break all the cultural and religious codes, moral codes and leagl code and let people live without rules or laws..that is when true humanity will be put to test...lets see what's normal and whats abnormal... yours truly

new topics

top topics

join