It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your family feel the excruciating financial pain most Americans are experiencing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69
I believe you, and far from blasting you, I admire you! You have control of your destiny. That's much more important than having nice replies to a post on the Internet.

I believe you because I know it can be done. During my illness I was able to raise a family of four on $500 a month SSI and another $300 food stamps. It wasn't easy (a Coke out of a machine was a rare luxury, and we always split one between us), but we survived. No TV, lights were turned off promptly at 10:00, no AC (a couple of fans) and only enough heat to allow us to not freeze under the coats we wore 24/7 those winters. Food was beans and 'taters, and occasionally someone with a garden would drop by some other veggies (and now I get to return the favor
).

But we brought something out of that place: pride. We made it through.

Don't forget your pride when you get to a better place.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think it's weird that everyone is talking about how there's been a huge financial collapse and nobody can make ends meet because I'm not feeling the crunch at all. I'm spending about the same as I always have on groceries and transportation and always have enough cash to go out and enjoy myself a couple times a week. I'm even going on a vacation out of state in a couple of months.

I don't think people who know how to manage their money and live within their means are suffering much at all. Maybe it's different for people that have families to support, but that's their problem. It's a bad idea to have children these days.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Yeah it's great knowing that i'm financially secure for the time being.

Those were awesome words "don't forget your pride when you get to a better place." Some of the best advice thanx

But I have been through the really hard times to. My dad left my mom and 3 kids on the side of the road. So yeah I know what it's like to have ramen noodles (which are great) every single meal. So no matter how bad it gets hopefully we can all get through it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Hey, seriously, best of luck to you. I'm glad that you're able to get by on what you have, but I'm sure it's not quite as easy as some people might think either. I "got by" for a long time myself until the bottom fell out on me in the last year or so. And the whole time I worried that the day would come when I would be in this position once again.

Stick with the education. Once I left college, out of necessity and despite a very high GPA, I was never able to get back.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yes, my family is struggling.

I have had to give up my treatments for multiple sclerosis so that we can continue to afford gas, grocery, and the rising cost of our electricity here.
I have optic neuritis caused by MS, so my vision has been giving me much trouble off and on. I do not qualify for SSI, as the state has turned me down twice now, and will not give me a single dime until their doctor claims me as legally blind. Stopping my treatments though, will probably land me in this category soon enough. There are no other options for me.
I have a child to feed. My husband works six days a week + over time, and has one year left in school.

There is much stress on his back. He worries quite a bit, and blames himself for our troubles. But he is doing all that he can to make sure we have enough. He is a good man. All of our money goes straight away to bills, groceries, and rent. We do not have much for entertainment. The occasional $1.99 movie rental at the grocery store.

We opted for fans this summer instead of air conditioner to help keep our electric bill as low as possible. I conserve energy more so than I ever have. The tv isn't ever left on. Computer shut down when not in use. Fans off as soon as a cool breeze hits. Showers, shorter. No dishwasher, I wash them by hand. Lights in the house not in use, are turned off. No more night light's except for my daughter's room.

Despite my efforts to conserve energy for the past three months, I am coming up with an $80 bill. When I call them, they say..."Oh, the price is up, the average for this reading is accurate". No, I believe I'm getting ripped off.

My husband works in the next city, so the commute is killer with gas prices. He drives 55 mph in a 70 mph speed zone, as do other people we notice, in order to stretch the gas a little.

We are not starving. We are okay, but we are having to do without some things we used to have and I do not see the situation improving until my husband has finished school.

I have much faith. But there's days where I wonder where the next extra $$ will come from so we can have enough for groceries for the whole week.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

Well, I became pregnant with my daughter *before* the shock and awe hit. I would have never thought we would be where we are today. At any rate, I sure do not regret having my child. I'd lay down my life for her's so that she can carry on and live her life. Having a child right now however, would be irresponsible, IMHO. Not with the way things are going, unless a family can afford it. Either way, I prefer to keep my nose out of other's business when it comes to those sorts of decisions.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Asherah]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I am surprised there is not more agreement on this issue.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join