It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G-8 Climate Scorecard Puts U.S. In Last Place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

G-8 Climate Scorecard Puts U.S. In Last Place

www.huffingtonpost.com

The U.S. has done the least among the world's eight largest economies to address global warming, a study released Thursday found.

The G-8 Climate Scorecards 2008, released Thursday ahead of next week's gathering of the Group of Eight on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, also found that none of the eight countries are making improvements large enough to prevent temperature increases that scientists think would cause catastrophic climate changes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This one will likely go both ways here on ATS.

I for one am embarrassed to live in a country once known for leadership and ingenuity that is so unwilling and incapable of meeting the challenge of altering our Carbon economy in the name of Planetary wellbeing and safety.

The scorecard ranked Britain as the developed nation that has done the most to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and reach targets set by the Kyoto Protocol. France and Germany are close behind. Germany was praised for its investment in renewable energy.

"But all three countries are at best half as far along the road as they should be," a statement announcing the study said.

There is a lot of work to be done, that won't get done until we all agree that such changes are necessary for the continued progress and evolution of the human race and for the benefit of our home, planet Earth.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm embarassed to live in a country with people who still believe this man-driven global warming bunkum even though time and time again every indication is that it is complete crap and was developed purely as a way to make big bucks off of corporations and individuals in scams like carbon credits, fines, and ridiculous environmental taxes on products.

Especially considering the economy right now we can't afford to dick around with pseudo science and waste even more money on restricting ourselves. It's not just a coincidence that the economy started going to hell right around the time Bush publically bought into alot of this envirnomental nonsense. Alternative feuls and green projects are great and lots of fun to discuss when prosperity is ruling and we, as a nation, have "mad money" laying around to waste. They aren't so good when we're struggling to turn around a tanking economy. If we weren't dead last on the list I'd wonder what the hell our leaders thought they were doing, to be honest.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Climate Change or not humans MUST evolve. As our populations grow and our impacts on the planet evolve me too have to continually progress.

You make the comment that we can not afford to get involved with "dick[ing] around with pseudo science and waste[ing] even more money on restricting ourselves."

I would say the development of new industries and locally produced energy would be a huge boon to our nation if we were to actually invest in it. Remaining in the situation we are in out of fear does nothing for us.

While I agree that the solution is not in imposing PENALTIES but on imposing REWARDS.

The fact that the situation is approached with the negative symbol ~ penalty
rather than approached with the positive symbol ~ reward

progress is stalled.

and most likely stalled in the name of the financial institutions that are in control of the USA.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I'm not sure I buy totally into that "financial institutions" idea, though. Growing up in the 80's it wasn't the oil companies that were rumored to "rule all" it was the automobile industy, specifically Detroit. Everytime someone supposedly came up with a new engine or new propulsion system, it was always blamed on Detroit for subduing the invention and keeping progress from happening. If that had been true then, we wouldn't see GM and Ford teetering on the brink of solvency right now. You don't lose that type of power in a mere 20 years. I've seen far too many supposedly "ruling behind the scenes" big money corporations go through hard times and some even go belly up to really put much stock into that particular conspiracy theory.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Another study?

How about a study on Global Warming itself. A study about how much of a hoax it is. A study on how some countries and the UN itself is going to use the Global Warming Hoax to raise money? That's what Global Warming is all about after all.

It's all a means to an end. Liberals want everyone equal. Even it means everyone being equally miserable. It's not fair that we have prosperous nations and poor nations. What we have got to do is knock the prosperous nations down a few notches so everything can equal out. Equal misery is the way to go, and Global Warming is the best way to do it!

PS: Don't tell Animal I am here. He put me on ignore! If you can't beat 'em Ignore 'em!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well we need to get off fossil fuels asap. But I'm inclined to believe the oil industry is delaying this as long as possible.

top topics

join