It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony cameras have crippled IR capability!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
As I will be hiking in august, I have been looking for good photo equipment just in case something happens, like UFOs at night.

I don't want to bring a camera as heavy as a DSLR with a telelens. And I'm looking for something reasonably priced, in the $400-700 range. I thought maybe a bridge camera with good zoom and image stabilization will be OK. The only problem is that their small CCD sensors are very noisy in the high ISO settings. Sony cameras are not too bad up to 400 ISO, and they have a night shot mode.

Then I found this in a review of the Sony CyberShot DSC-H9:

All Night Shot images we captured were very grainy and soft. The Sony H9 can be used as an infrared camera for outdoor photography, but you'll need neutral density filters and a tripod to work with the low shutter speeds. Sony's original Night Shot cameras were considerably more capable in this area, but they've been crippled because of their infamous ability to see through clothing under certain conditions. To limit this ability, the Sony H9's Night Shot mode has a maximum shutter speed of 1/30 second or below, and the aperture remains wide open regardless what mode you set, hence the need for neutral density filters for outdoor shooting.

What do you think? Is this true? Could it be a conspiracy to prevent people from taking good shots of UFO at night? Is it impossible to buy a cheap recent camera with decent IR capability? I'm still thinking about buying the DSC-H9 or DSC-H50. Suggestions welcome.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nablator

Well I do know that your bolded part is correct. It was possible to get pictures of that stuff. I knew Sony was going to yank it, but didn't know that they had.
From what I have heard the video cameras still use the original night shot though.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Just in case this thread is not in the right forum, this could be a more general discussion about how new technology in photography is getting worse than old technology. A reminder that de-evolution is lurking around the corner. Old film cameras have much better resolution than today's digital cameras. Only professionals can afford 20+ Mpixel cameras. And most people use their cell phone camera with awful resolution.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Any suggestion of a video camera with really good nightshot mode? I joined after the Bakersfield UFO video was uploaded to ATS, and it was pretty good. I'd like to be able to film something like that this summer.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nablator

I know I just got a new camera on Friday. I got an Olympus E-510 with 2 lenses for under $600. I shoot in RAW mode and my resolution is ridiculous. It is set to 3648x2736 superfine and when viewed at full size they look great, there is no pixellation at all.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nablator
reply to post by Rook1545

Any suggestion of a video camera with really good nightshot mode? I joined after the Bakersfield UFO video was uploaded to ATS, and it was pretty good. I'd like to be able to film something like that this summer.

Sony seems to be one of the only manufacturers that provide night shot in the removable media video cameras. I would suggest one of those for the obvious benefit of being able to remove the media for safe keeping.

new topics

top topics

join