It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia and the Needy EGO

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

Hi...I think you are an example of someone with some level of "schizophrenic" tendencies, but who has attacked the problem by examining their ego. Once the ego is disabled, it seems possible that the schizophrenic mind will move in the direction of enlightnement. Now my question is, can anybody do that? My theory is that many can. Either way, I think you've done something remarkable, and it would be great if others understood how you managed it.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I suppose I was trying to point out that in the movie Hide and Seek; The father was as if passing on the illness to his daughter. I think it's important to be able to evaluate from outside the box by these examples.

Self esteem for me now is basically just surviving "alone" in my own space and apartment and somehow budgeting my SSI. The reward is not having to ask welfare, my family or others for any help.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Very interesting thread, Science.

It's generally taken for granted, I think, that Schizophrenics are self-obsessed, but I've never heard of trying to get them to dissociate from their own ego. Very interesting indeed.

As an aside, I dated a guy who turned out to be schizophrenic years ago. I was actually the oneo who figured out what was wrong with him and that he wasn't just an eccentric egomaniac. He was pretty much self-obsessed all the way through adolescence and into adulthood and could defiitely have benefited from some ego dissociation, schizophrenic or not. I remember at one point he thought he was the best solitaire player in the world.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Hi there...the fundamental question for me then--if I'm right about the ego aspect of schizophrenia--is what would happen if a full blown schizophrenic were actually able to dissasociate from their ego. I think the underlying schizoid tendencies would still be there, becasue they are biologically based, but what would be the result of those tendencies existing without the ego to guide them into negativity. Would such a person travel into what we think of as enlightnement? Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have the "Illness." But I don't really see it as that. I am a very intellect person. In my mind I can see how things work. I can look at a TV and see how it works and see the parts inside of a TV. I can sense things too. I mean not like read peoples minds and ECT. But sense things. There are also different types. I am in the category of not Paranoid. More of Unrelated to the others.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I always enjoyed what Terence had to say about this issue of Schizophrenia.

Please watch this video all the way through if you're going to comment on it.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Hopefully you're still here.

Are you sure you're not describing more of a personality disorder, like, say, Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopathy)?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Among some Schizophrenics with diabetes i believe some were miss DXed.

I worked for years as a vol firefighter/EMT and i found that with a few diabetics that had Schizophrenia i found they were NOT suffering from the Schizophrenia. When i tested there blood sugar levels they were above 500 mg/dl a dangerous level of blood sugar,
At this level the diabetes itself can cause Schizophrenic type symptoms.

I believe these people were not true Schizophrenic and because one doctor had put on there records they were they now are labeled mental cases.

In most cases they were put in the mental ward while being treated.
and some were over drugged for Schizophrenia when the cause most likely was the diabeties.
As the mental health doctors would raise there meds for the schizophrenia before they got the blood sugar levels under control.

Many because they were over drugged were not able to function clearly enough to keep there diabeties under control.
And we would be bring them back in till they were finely put in a nursing home.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall
reply to post by sc2099

Hi there...the fundamental question for me then--if I'm right about the ego aspect of schizophrenia--is what would happen if a full blown schizophrenic were actually able to dissasociate from their ego. I think the underlying schizoid tendencies would still be there, becasue they are biologically based, but what would be the result of those tendencies existing without the ego to guide them into negativity. Would such a person travel into what we think of as enlightnement? Any thoughts?

I don't know about thoughts, but I can provide personal experience.

I'm schizoaffective - 15 years of it.

When I had my first break in 1993, I dissociated from the outside world to such a high extent that I literally lived in an internalized state.

During this time, I was so overwhelmed with visions and internal stimuli that I was completely unable to interact with the outside world. I spent a good month in inpatient treatment, rebuilding an ego that was no longer there.

I had the most impressive hallucinations and internalized interpretations of what I was seeing. It was if I had reverted to the dawn of my conciousness and was literally swimming through the dark primordial seas.

As the hallucinations subsided, I began to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to draw the imagery in my notebook. (I suspect one reason the doctors were so patient with me was that even though I was not communicating verbally with anyone, a simple glimpse in my notebook revealed that I was moving out of the subatomic gemoetry of my mental landscape into the more common sights of "conventional reality".)

The breakthrough came when a doctor sat down and kindly asked me to draw them a tree. I responded immediately, and even though I still did not speak, there was communication between us.

In hindsight - during this entire experience, I had never felt more sure of myself and the beauty and order of the cosmos. The main difficulties came when staff members tried to force "their reality" upon me when I was quite content with my own. I had to "get better" in their eyes, when in reality - I was completely happy in my internalized and dissociative states.

My ego was never a problem, since it was temporarily on leave.

That's as close to "enlightenment" as I have ever gotten.

As my ego began to rebuild over time, more pronouned, chaotic and paranoid aspects of this condition surfaced. I wonder sometimes if I could ever experience that state of grace I had so many years ago again.

Sadly, I think my adult ego is too caught up in it's daily dramas.

...and I wish like mad I still had those notebooks.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AreaMan

Excellent video.

Terrance McKenna makes some valid insights on the state of society, that's for sure.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join