It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I saw this and thought I would share, from these studies it looks like a polar shift is very likely and very soon:

Rapid changes in the churning movement of Earth's liquid outer core are weakening the magnetic field in some regions of the planet's surface, a new study says.

"What is so surprising is that rapid, almost sudden, changes take place in the Earth's magnetic field," said study co-author Nils Olsen, a geophysicist at the Danish National Space Center in Copenhagen.

The findings suggest similarly quick changes are simultaneously occurring in the liquid metal, 1,900 miles (3,000 kilometers) below the surface, he said.

The swirling flow of molten iron and nickel around Earth's solid center triggers an electrical current, which generates the planet's magnetic field.
Earth's Core, Magnetic Field Changing Fast, Study Says

What say you?

[edit on 3-7-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

What say I? I'm going to Denmark in less than a week.

Seriously, that is interesting news. Know if it's been corroborated?

I think it's been determined that the Earth's magnetic poles have moved about before, but no one is certain the time frame involved. Everyone, of course knows that the magnetic 'poles' do not currently line up with the 'true' poles, the axis of the Earth's rotation...and, there is that pesky precession of the Earth's axis (that fact should be enough to blow holes in the Creatinist's argument, but that's best left for another thread).

Wildly changing positions of the magnetic poles will wreak some havok, mostly with many animals who are thought to navigate using magnetic sensing during migrations. They will either adapt, or die out.

Most modern human navigation is via GPS now. Lattitude/Longitude co-ordinates are all based on the imaginary 'grid' relative to the 'true' poles.

Can anyone think of any other effects of a magnetic pole shift?

edit for spelling

[edit on 7/3/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hello, i posted this in different thread but since it could be connected
to this issue i will repost it with cosmetic changes.
" I read an interesting article which is somewhat connected to this issue.
The writer claims that energy from our explosions and nuclear tests did not dissipate into space but went into the ground and eventually into the molten core. The core,according to him, consists of molten metals and is behaving like Jupiter's atmosphere - there are hurricanes,spots and "climate". Since it is molten and very thick it has thixotropic (like toothpaste - you apply pressure on the tube and only then stuff liquefies. Without pressure it is solid) properties so our pressure from the explosions makes it even more liquid in those spots. It creates vortexes, breaks normal core "climate" patterns and such.
He also claims that this processes are responsible both for magnetic field fluctuations (since it is created by this spinning core) and for warming (warming from below) due to more friction and chaotic behavior throughout the core. "

The non-English part is big and sounds somewhat credible,at least to me. But i lack what is needed to say if it is correct or not. I personally would expect major rise in volcanic activity first and yet i never heard that it is so. If someone who knows the issue better and can comment on that it would be great.
Link for short and somewhat chaotic English version:
vladimir-shenderov.narod.ru...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Brooks Agnew was on C2C last night discussing some of this.

Has to do with 2012, Winter soltice, center of Milkyway.
Stan Deyo was talking about the increase in Volcanic activity also,
which ties into a similiar theory.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I wondered if the recent uplift at Yellowstone is tied to the pole shift issue. Did Deyo discuss Yellowstone at all?

[edit on 7/3/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I just happened to finish Polar Shift by Clive Cussler. It dealt with a similar problem. While a magnetic shift would be survivable, it may cause a physical shift of axis due to the magnetic flux being disturbed. That was in the book and what might really happen is unknown. It is suspected that this may have been the cause of the end of the dinosaurs however. If it does indeed cause a physical shift it will be the end of life as we know it. If it doesn't it may well cause an increase in the number and size of the holes in the ozone layer, thus causing increased UV radiation. It may also cause increased change in both ocean currents and wind patterns. This shift may also be the root cause of the global warming we are experiencing. We must remember that at one time Alaska and Siberia would once sustain a much larger ecosystem than they do now we do not know why this changed to my knowledge.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by LDragonFire

Can anyone think of any other effects of a magnetic pole shift?

edit for spelling

[edit on 7/3/0808 by weedwhacker]

This may have been answered down in the thread but here is my thoughts. If the poles do shift wouldn't the rotation shift with them? Say they simply reversed and held their current locations. North becomes south and south becomes north. Wouldn't the rotation come to a screeching halt and then begin in the opposite direction? If this takes thousands of years it would mean longer days until it actually comes to a stop. Thus meaning longer nights. Vegetation would need to adapt. Life would have to adapt. Then eventually we would start to rotate in the opposite direction. The sun would rise in the west and set in the east.

There are some stories in the Bible (not saying that I buy everything in the Bible) that mention an endless day that helped an army to defeat their enemies. If the rotation changes rapidly then there would essentially be long day for half of the earth and a long night for the other.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
We must remember that at one time Alaska and Siberia would once sustain a much larger ecosystem than they do now we do not know why this changed to my knowledge.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Also, respectfully, the core samples taken from Antarctica show that lush tropical vegetation existed on that continent at one time. A quick polar shift may account for the vegetation being present since an actual shift in locations of the poles could potentially cause the axis to shift thus causing the outer crust to violently shift. You could find yourself in arctic conditions within a week. The plant life could potentially freeze right where it stands. People living in colder parts could find themselves in a thaw. Within 20 years a tropical forest or even a desert.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
Also, respectfully, the core samples taken from Antarctica show that lush tropical vegetation existed on that continent at one time.

True, but thats more likely to be from continental drift rather than a pole shift....hehe I made a rhyme

A quick polar shift may account for the vegetation being present since an actual shift in locations of the poles could potentially cause the axis to shift thus causing the outer crust to violently shift.

I am pretty sure pole shift just reverses the different charges of the poles, not actually flipping the earth upside down. What I mean is the earth stays the as it is, and the poles just reverse

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I agree with you, but I do wonder what such a shift would do if anything to our electrical gadgets?

This is a older editorial from 2000:

Much of this kind of radiation would probably not readily affect plant or animal life which would likely survive, according to most scientists, but it could cause widespread havoc and destruction to electronic-based systems, including transportation (cars, planes, etc.). ... And you thought global warming was a concern.
THE FRAGILITY OF ELECTRONIC INFORMATION IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

darious, I think we can be quite certain the Earth will not reverse direction of rotation!!! Internal shifting, if severe enough, could possibly increase her precession...not a good example, but think of a spinning top.

In a micro-gravity environment a top set spinning will continue indefinately, until acted upon by an external force. The Earth has these massive oceans, acted upon by the pull of the Moon, to create tides. BUT, the effect has been around for, oh hundreds of millions of years, so obviously the weight of the water has minimal impact compared to the mass of the planet itself.

The millions of years of tectonic plate movement, now THAT could cause slight imbalances, one would assume. Well, the Earth's rotation is slowing down, but you won't notice in your lifetime.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I wondered if the recent uplift at Yellowstone is tied to the pole shift issue. Did Deyo discuss Yellowstone at all?

His biggest concern was area north of New Zealand, then he mentioned the area from Nevada north thru Yellowstone. Also Antartica.

All have noticeable increase in activity.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is some other interesting views and past biblical references to possible past polar shifts

"In a polar region there is a continual deposition of ice, which is not symmetrically distributed about the pole. The earth's rotation acts on these asymmetrically deposited masses [of ice], and produces centrifugal momentum that is transmitted to the rigid crust of the earth. The constantly increasing centrifugal momentum produced in this way will, when it has reached a certain point, produce a movement of the earth's crust over the rest of the earth's body, and this will displace the polar regions toward the equator."

Albert Einstein From The Path of the Pole by Charles Hapgood

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, [...]

Bible (KJV), Joshua 10:13-14

9 And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou have of the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing that he hath spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back ten degrees?
10 And Hezekiah answered, It is a light thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees: nay, but let the shadow return backward ten degrees.

Bible (KJV), 2 Kings 20: 9-10
world-mysteries

Was the flood or deluge caused by a polar shift? As well as increased Volcanic activity?

The greatest flood to be accepted by orthodox science may be the deluge of 14,000 years ago[†] in the Altai Mountains of southern Siberia.

"It was an event that's very hard to describe- because nothing comparable has ever been seen by people," says Victor Baker, a geologist at the University of Arizona. "It's the largest flood we can document in the fossil record." At its height, he says, the water may have been 1,500 feet deep, racing along the Chuja River valley at 90 miles an hour.

An event as catastrophic as a pole shift would undoubtedly create an increase in volcanic activity. In fact, I suspect that every volcano along the “line of most movement” would have exploded. Evidence of past lava flows indicate that our current level of volcanic activity is very low, a mere whimper. In my opinion, there has been a gradual decline of activity over the last 10,000 years, as the earth’s crust has settled into its new position, and the volcanoes have slowly died down.

A shift of the crust would require some stretching and contracting due to the equatorial bulge. Any section of the crust that moved into the area of the equator would have to stretch to accommodate the bulge. On the other side of the equator, where section of the crust were moving away, there would be contraction. Distortions of this magnitude would give us the “fire” element so often part of the flood myths – volcanoes.
Evidence of a recent polar shift

If it occurs it seems to bring about massive Earth changes and the destruction that goes along with it.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Could this be what is causing almost 40 volcanoes to erupt?

Name of Volcano Location
Arenal Costa Rica
Batu Tara Indonesia
Chaiten Chile
Chikurachki Kurile Is.
Cleveland Aleutian Is.
Egon Indonesia
Fuego Guatemala
Galeras Colombia
Guagua Pichincha Ecuador
Huila Colombia
Ibu Halmahera