It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your ORGANIC MILK fake? cornucopia.org ratings...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
www.cornucopia.org...

Horizon Organic (Dean Foods)

Dean/Horizon purchases milk from other industrial-scale farms, some of which have a history of alleged labor abuses
[]
they buy one-year-old conventional animals on the open market. These replacements likely have received conventional milk replacer (made with blood—considered to be a "mad cow" risk), antibiotics, other prohibited pharmaceuticals, and genetically engineered feed.
[]
Their Idaho facility, milking 4000–5000 cows, was originally a conventional factory-dairy that they converted to organic production. It has, according to widespread industry reports, very little access to pasture.

Topco (Full Circle Organic)

As a case in point, although over 80% of the name-brand organic dairy marketers responded to our survey and are rated in this report, not one of the private-label marketers was willing to tell consumers, openly, where its organic milk was purchased.
[]

Back to Nature (Kraft Organic)

Their corporate offices responded to our questionnaire with a polite e-mail stating, “We would consider the information requested in this survey to be confidential and thus respectfully decline to participate.”

Stonyfield Organic (milk) HOOD

Because they buy milk from many different middlemen, and the fact that they rely on a third-party to handle milk from farmers who directly ship to them, they have a less intimate relationship with their farms and in the enforcement of some of their policies.

My family is drinking Organic Valley milk... They lose points for converting "a minority" of conventional cows to organic. I suppose they're better off rescued.

In my book they all loose points for plastic infused cardboard packaging. Why can you get a gallon glass jug of apple cider just about anywhere... but not MILK?

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

This is quite a nice website. Although I question the legitimacy, it still holds value for me and what I will eventually purchase once I have a stable income. Also, Vermont seems like a viable option for residence. Been there once for a few days. Changed my entire outlook on life.

Delaware = Dirtyware

No Horizon organic milk for me!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Thank you for this post! I feel a bit outraged if this all checks out. It seems wrong to be able call a product organic if there is anything in it that isn't organic. It seems that would be defeating the point, unless it is only a sales gimmick. My family has been drinking the Horizon milk, but after some extra research, if this pans out, I will definitely be switching to something with a more acceptable rating.

Shame on them!

edit: Oh, and I think the glass thing is based on increasing longevity of the product. Much like how beer bottles are mostly brown or green. I think the light affects the milk more so than it does the apple juice.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Cool. Also, for some reason, Horizon Organic milk has phosphorous in it. I do not get it. Do you? I guess its good for you but no other milk I have seen has phosphorous.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

new topics

top topics

join