It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politically, The majority of black people aren't very smart.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This slightly coincides with the thread along the title of" I only like Obama because he is black"

As a black person living in Georgia I don't want to speak wrongly of my own race. But the Large majority of blacks only are voting for Obama because he's black.
Politically, the Large majority of them only have information that someone else has told them or brief pro-Obama clips they have seen on the news.
9 out of 10 people I have spoken with do not know any specific on his health care plans. His proposition to get rid of guns,NASA ect.

Even my mother can only say she is voting for Obama because...He is going to change things. Or just to make a point to young black kids that they can be anything they want.
I think it's great to give people something to look up to. But if you don't even know what that persons plans are, is it not the same as asking a person you met on the street to take care of all your finances?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think your opening statement would be far more accurate if you simply remove the word "black" from it. As long as you're going to paint with a broad brush and make a judgement upon a group of people, you might as well open the umbrella up ALL the way. In fact, take out "black" and insert "Earthlings" or "humans". There. All fixed.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Americans vote for appearance, showmanship and charm.
They don't vote for honesty, skill or truth.

I think it all started with kissing babies.

For Americans it's what's on the outside that counts, not on the inside.
To get elected in America it's not political skill that gets one elected it's appearance and money.

Imagine all the great presidents the US could have had if more thought was put into what value that person had as a politician?

America votes for who they like, a drinkin' buddy, a fellow black man, a church goer, an athlete, warm and fuzzy, handsome, tough guys, flag wavers.

They don't vote for presidents.

PS, I have nothing against Obama, he may make a good President, I know McCain is more of the same GWB.
Never-the-less it's all rigged; I mean,... McCain, the leader of the Republicans

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Politically, maybe they aren’t very smart. But perhaps one reason is that the self-appointed “leaders” of the black community are leading them astray. Jackson and Sharpton, and their ilk, make a living off of telling black people that they can’t – at least not without massive help from the government and free handouts. Look at Mrs. Obama, she constantly alludes to the discrimination and difficulties she has suffered. Yet, she stands ready to be presented as First Lady. She went to an Ivy League university. She makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Well, there’s only two answers to her, and others, laments of discrimination and suffering – either it’s true or it isn’t. If it’s true, she and Obama wouldn’t be anywhere near where they are. If it isn’t true (which their position demonstrates it isn’t), then that means they’ve deluded themselves. Yet, they are the ones who are set up as the great leaders of the black community. Most people – blacks included – go along with whatever the established authorities tell them. Therefore, it’s no wonder that most blacks are being led astray.

Get an intelligent black person, that says that blacks can do for themselves and do it without somebody pushing them along and the speaker gets derided. Look at what happened to Cosby and others when they laid out some hard medicine for blacks. But again, it’s not just blacks that fall for mind-candy in droves, it’s just that Obama is a rallying point for them because they have been led to believe that he has the answers for them. So, Yes, blacks are politically stupid but no more so than any other group.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Unless someone here has a crystal ball to see what the future brings with our different choices of presidents, I seriously doubt their face, color and the sound of their voice makes much difference. They most likely have to follow the same script and agendas anyway.

Politics is always about change of some sort, but not usually what we had hoped for. If we have to listen to any of them on the news, it may as well be an easier voice and person to look at. Afterall, they're just figureheads...aren't they?

Try the odds on a Magic 8 ball just for the heck of it for (lasting) world peace. (that could also mean extinction)

[edit on 3-7-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If any politican were honest with the American people, black or white, that would be the end of their political careers.

As for voting for Obama because he is black shouldn't be an issue at all... think about the uproar about JFK being an Irish Catholic... many people voted for him because it was seen as a step forward, and it was.

What people in all their pro or anti spin is this... the president is always constrained by the will of the congress and the courts and the desire to get re-elected... unless they are a loon they are not going to try and behave like a dictator like one loon we all know.

I am not thrilled with Obama but I am not worried about him either.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Most of the black people I knew were huge Clinton supporters till Obama changed their opinions. I think it had much more to do with the person and ideas and message and much less to do with the color of his skin!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
First off, black or not, your statement is a generalization and sadly racist.

Just because you are black and those around you who are black may not be politically savvy does not in anyway create any sort of confirmation that "most black people aren't very smart".

We are here to deny ignorance and your opening title is plainly ignorant.

Someone else in this thread said if you took away "Black" it would be more correct, I don't believe that either.

It is not a matter of intelligence it is a matter of exposure to information. We live in a society that is incredibly dumbed down. News stories each are about 30 seconds. Commercials of politicians are 30 seconds. Everything we are fed is a sound bit. These people are not stupid they are victims of the society they live in.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DalairTheGreat
I think it's great to give people something to look up to. But if you don't even know what that persons plans are, is it not the same as asking a person you met on the street to take care of all your finances?

Look at it another way: As LDragonFire said, the Clintons had wide-ranging support in the African-American community. Then, Bill slighted Obama's victory in SC, and something happened that nobody had really expected: the black community, whether you agree or not, took that slight personally. And then, the slights accumulated (Geraldine Ferraro, "hard-working white people", etc).

The craziest part about it to me, as a black person, was that different segments of the black community coalesced around Obama for different reasons, but acted, largely, in concert.

Some people were, in a weird way, hurt by the Clintons' apparent defection, or, started to wonder if those had been their true feelings about black people all along. Some young, black, professional-types felt like what was happening to Obama was their everyday experience, writ large. Other people had been paying attention to the politics and knew it was a DNC vs DLC thing. Some of those groups over-lapped.

But, at the end of the day, most 'politically-inattentive' black people that I know don't really expect anything to change or get better. They're political pessimists, like most of the country, thinking the president is just the figure-head of a government that will always act the same, for better or worse.

Therefore, goes the reasoning, why shouldn't they vote in the figure-head that reflects them? Why not?

edit to add (and then, to correct a mis-quote):

Originally posted by Animal
These people are not stupid they are victims of the society they live in.

I agree with this, which is why I called them "politically-inattentive." A little more accurate than "not very smart," which, in my mind, is the same as calling them stupid.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
That comment is pretty lame. Most people believe that to be true because they only have black people in their are that or extremly poor, therfore have no ability to educate themself. They are spending all their time just trying to survive in the povern area they live in. When you are surrounded by the same uneducated people it is very hard to turn yourself around and find someone that is educated and willing to help teach you at no cost.

That is the reason that people thing black people are not smart. They overall have been convinced that everyone thinks that way about them.

The kicker is that it is not just black people. It all depends on the state and area you live in. Go to the middle and southern states and you will find "Poor White Trash" living in mobile homes with the same problem.

Intelligence does not come from genes, it comes from within your own determination to learn and succeed!

new topics

top topics

join