It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bottled Water vs Cheaper Filters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
reply to post by toasted

That's all it says on the box. I didn't write it.

be careful about just accepting popular lies [ or slogans on boxes ]

I did investigate what fluoride does

maybe you should too;

www.fluoridealert.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by toasted

sorry, but you are wrong;

the ph of the water is very very important, and under most peoples radar.

Reverse osmosis which is used in quality bottled water gives you a pH of 7, which is a balanced pH. Most city water has a pH level over 7 or above, which is alkaline. Most Well water is below 7 which is acidic.

pH level 0-6.9 is acidic (mostly found in well water)
pH level 7 is balanced (pure water)
pH level 7.1 to 14 is alkaline (mostly found in city water)

So if pure bottled reverse osmosis water has a pH level of 7....how am I wrong? Could you go into a little bit more detail?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by toasted

I never gave my views on flouride. I just gave the information on the box.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
My city has a huge deficit in our funds for water treatment and making new water lines (we still have some lead pipes). A year ago I got a Berkey water filter and it kicks ass. I haven't found any other filters that compare to this one in terms of the amount of things it removes and technical information available. It has the cleanest water I have ever tasted, and if sit. x comes I can filter lake water to survive just fine.

I just thought I'd add berkey water filters are not very cheap (300+ dollars), but you will save money on all of the other water you buy and are guaranteeing your water is clean.

Fluoride is one of the hardest things to remove from water. And you have to buy a special attachment from berkey to remove all of it, which I have wanted to get but haven't got around to it. So far I haven't seen any other filters that remove all fluoride, only claims of reducing it.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Trauma]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I like VOLVIC, it just sounds so naughty.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Dasani is from tap water, also most bottled waters are. If you look on the side of the label, it will usually give you a hint, it is not blatanlty advertised.
For instance if you get a generic store brand bottle water it will say bottled at such and such towns municipality.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
As mentioned before, reverse osmosis is the way forward (sort off).

I have an RO filter, the advantages are this.

1. you have a reservior (about 4 litres) of water for emergency if mains water fails.
2. this will remove contaminates, very good in a disaster if you are unsure of the security of your water source. i.e. river,acid rain or contaminated well.
3. Most the pump will run the unit of a 12v DC supply ( Its worth confirming this before buying )

Disadvantage.

THIS WILL REMOVE many trace substances in the tap/fresh water that ARE GOOD for your health.

I would recommend a Jug filter for every day drinking water if you lack a ballanced diet and eat lots of junk ( which we mostly do ) if you consume plenty of fresh fruit and veg you can regulary use an RO unit.

I would recommend EVERY home to have an RO unit with the current world situation along with a large water but and a spare 12V Battery and approprate piping. A small generator is also advisable.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am still waiting on that damn slingshot to come out. That thing seems like the real deal.

I drink water that's filtered by my backyard. After some salt rocks purify it some more, I'd say it satiates my thirst.

I think about it this way.. If I drink sugary tea and beer otherwise, I doubt my water is a concern. All my pets have ever drank is our back-yard filtered water, and they won't freaking die! I swear, if that smelly old cat makes it to 20 I am moving out.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

" Could you go into a little bit more detail? "

sure just check out the videos

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I used to used bottled water all the time, before I came to my senses. I live in a small community that does not use "city" water but instead uses "well" water. The iron and calcium content is higher, as are the other impurities and you can taste it.
Here's a test you can do to see if you have a lot of impurities in your tap water. Make some ice cubes and put them in a glass of water like normal. Let them melt and see if you have residue in the bottom of the glass.
If you do, then I would suggest a faucet filter at the least. Most brands will filter that stuff (what ever it is!!) out of your drinking water.
Seriously, my water, without me filtering it, is nasty!! The filters do the trick.

I also agree with most of you that bottled water is one huge money making scam and a plastic's nightmare for the landfills.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

that's great, a nice dual filter does wonders for taste, but how do you get the bio-markers out of the water?

and how do you energize the water?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
We are thinking about buying one of those reverse osmosis filters:

Reverse Osmosis

It seems to filter out pretty much anything

It costs about 300€ here so we should get our "investment" back pretty quick, considering their are 4 people living here who all drink alot of water.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
reply to post by toasted

That's all it says on the box. I didn't write it.

your comment leads one to think, that you were impressed by the comment.

it was almost an endorsement

were you not? if not,

you certainly were not alarmed at the lie they put on the box, or you'd have pointed it out!

and no need to be so defensive....I know you didn't write it.

but I do wonder about where that comment was copied from. because they obviously never investigated anything about fluoride

www.fluoridealert.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I would say Bottled Water is better than regular city water and that filters are okay but not the best, If you look hard enough you could probably still find some good alternatives though.

Just about the only thing I drink myself nowadays is water mostly bottled water. But there are way too many health problems as it is with other drinks and Soda and so on. They should be fixed and could be fixed but it is not exactly happening so well.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Some tap water can be fairly nasty, but as it has never made me keel over dead, I still drink it. After serving in the Army, I found myself not caring so much what I sleep on, if water is from the tap, etc.

I will say bottled is probably "better" in quality, it depends on your towns filtration methods. I used to do quite a bit with marine aquariums, and the fish were not very stable in upper PA. So I sent the water to a lab for testing: They could not even identify all the micro-organisms in there. They said "We identified 7 of them, but not the other 5."

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I’m a Berkey guy myself. I collect rainwater and put that through coffee filters first so as to make the Berkey filters last as long as possible, though they last a very long time normally. For me it’s real simple. The gov controls what goes in the water, and I don’t trust the gov. I’ve noticed a definite increase in memory and cognitive function since I’ve gone from filtering tap water to using rain water. I’m a believer in the negative mental effects of fluoride, and God only knows what else they're putting in there.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I've seen these debates go on for days. I only have more questions. Does anyone know anything about the ZeroWAter system? I think it's at zerowater.com I would love to hear any input from someone who knows. Also, after all the debating, I've yet to see anyone post any facts with test results from labs ranging from tap water to bottled, to filter, etc... Thanks for the good thread!

JPT

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

The pH of water is only important in the piping you have. A lower pH will erode the metal piping bringing it into your drinking water. And we are talking 5.5 and under, maybe 6 long term

As far as personal health goes it doesnt matter because people drink citrus products and soda which has a pH of 2.5.

Not perfect for you, but immediately is not a problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I my self buy o'premium water.

I was in a doctors office one day, and asked for a glass. It tasted so good I asked what it was, and have had it for years now.

Before this, I had a sink filter, but it never tasted rite. Crystal water tasted like dirt, and this I just love. So I looked up to see what process they use.

Here is a video I found: www.youtube.com...

It may still be tap water, but I like it for the taste and have yet to taste anything better except for the fresh spring water that runs up in Sedona.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Create your own filter. Do NOT trust Brita, Aquafina AND ESPECIALLY NOT DASANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join