It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black National Anthem?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Please help me to understand...

How is it that when you are asked to sing the National Anthem of the United States at a council meeting and you agree to do exactly as you've been asked, but instead you make a conscious decision to sing something entirely different and forgo permission to do so, that in making your decision, you "meant no disrespect of any kind" and the song "was in no way intended to be a political statement."

This woman had an agenda, plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
The article you linked is nothing whatsoever to do with Obama. He has not endorsed it, he did not orchestrate it - hell as far as I can tell by searching google he's not even commented on it - and yet you chose to link it - solely because of the colour of the skin of the woman who sang the song.
I was under the impression that most people who posted here on ATS were conspiracy theorist, and believed in conspiracies?

Would such a connection be that farfetched? I've seen some pretty wild theories expounded on this forum! Why does this particular one trouble you so much?

Well Ted Bundy was white. Using the same logic what does that tell me about white Americans?
That a small percentage of it's constituents fall into the sociopathic category of mental illness?

Ted Bundy was a suave, well-educated lawyer like Barack Obama, what should that tell me about Barack Obama?

Corellations can be drawn between any two variables if you try hard enough..

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I've seen some pretty wild theories expounded on this forum! Why does this particular one trouble you so much?

For the reason I stated Lloyd.

Its stereotyping of the worst kind, based solely on skin colour Why doesn't it bother you?

Obviously it does a little because instead of applying the broad analogy to white people when I mentioned Ted Bundy you offered

That a small percentage of it's constituents fall into the sociopathic category of mental illness?

If you apply the same principle as the OP, that Obama relates to this, and endorses it, solely because a black woman sang it and Obama himself is black, then all white Americans must fall into the sociopathic category of mental illness, because Ted Bundy - a white american - did.

Is that actually the case? No, of course not.

You know, had this post been about the woman simply stitching up the Denver State of the City address, I'd have no problem with it. If you're asked to sing the national anthem of any country then singing something else is a smack in the face to those who asked you - but the post went further and in my opinion crossed the line into something much murkier and uncalled for.

xul

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Black national anthem?
Well, let them have it.. or do you prefer listening to THIS:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
You know what is so disgraceful? It's American history, and how African slaves were piled up like fish in the hull of a boat and transported to North America where more than half died as a result of living in filth like excrement and barf...so that the economy could flourish....god man pull your head out!

[edit on 3-7-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well, first of all, it seems to me that the labeling of her song as "Black National Anthem" was done by the folks who did the news coverage, not by the singer. So that would appear to me as a sensationalized story to plant the seed, and slant the story. In these politically-charged times, I think we need to make certain we're getting the word from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Bottom line for me is that she apparently agreed to perform the National Anthem, and did not. It's fairly common to hear performers put their own musical variances on the Anthem..... I often find that somewhat irritating, especially if there is excessive warbling. To change the words makes it a different song, and I think she broke her agreement.

I fail to see how this relates to Democrats or Senator Obama, unless evidence of a "back room" agreement can be shown. Perhaps I missed something.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

unbelievable.

So now, we cant even unite under the same symbols anymore

:shk:

What a bunch of crap

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Oh come on!! I want to sing the White National Anthem. I want White Entertainment Television (WET TV). Mrs White America and the National White College Fund (NWCF). Blacks constantly cry about racism but they are the only ones continually perpetuating it. They continually draw lines and constantly make distinctions between the races. I say let it go and be an American not an African American. Slavery happened along time ago. I dont know of any living black slave in America. I also cant think of any living white slave owners. Im tired of hearing about something that happened before any American today was alive. This women saw a chance to get her 15 minutes and took it.

To the poster who made the Obama connection. I see it. Obama has made distinctions between himself and white America. His wife has made distinctions and would this women pulled this stunt if Barack wasnt a presidential canadate?

Before I get flamed for my comments be advised. I have a sister in a "mixed" marraige and I have a beautiful neice and nephew whom I love very much. Along with my brother in law and his family. So dont cry racist.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Shes a jazz singer,goes with the territory,shiddly de bop bam boo

This is probably how the brits felt when you got rid of their anthem...lol

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Jesus Christ it's only a song, if that's the most disgraceful thing you've ever seen you seriously need to get out more.

However on the subject of the US national anthem have you ever sat back and looked at the lyrics ?

"Oh, say! can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say! does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

That's pretty tortuous. I mean no offence, I know some of you have a hard on for this stuff but from an objective point of view It's pretty embarrassing.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
You know what is so disgracefull? It's American history, and how African slaves were piled up like fish in the hull of a boat and transported to North America where more than half died as a result of living in filth like excrument and barf...so that the economy could flurish....god man pull your head out!

When can we get over it? After how many generations will this be let go? Two things - This epiosode happened way befiore the majority of white Americans' ancestors even immigrated to the US, and that particular boat ride was the best thing African Americans' ancestors ever did for them.

The boat ride wasn't fun for anybody but I think today we can all be glad it happened.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
All I can say, is that I damm glad she didn't do it as a Rap song. If she had it would be on the radio non-stop.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I agree with what you said except for african american. There is no such country. I am a white american and I have black friends and asian friends.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
When can we get over it? After how many generations will this be let go? Two things - This epiosode happened way befiore the majority of white Americans' ancestors even immigrated to the US, and that particular boat ride was the best thing African Americans' ancestors ever did for them.

No one blamed 'white America'. I think you're jumping to conclusions. However, the backbone of the American economy, on which most of the subsequent immigrants built their livelihoods, and the major banks, which are still the riches, and most powerful money makers to this day, got it's start using slave transport and labor. This nation was built on the bodies of dead slaves. And for centuries following, the African American community had been denigrated and oppressed.

Lift Every Voice and Sing was written at a time when there was a need for black solidarity.

The interesting thing is that Lift Every Voice and Sing was written and placed to music decades before The Star Spangled Banner was officially made the national anthem. At the time of it's writing, there were dozens of songs used to display pride in one's country. I find it a bit a bit disturbing that the one finally decided on as the official song was one which spoke about the beauty of war and set to the tune of a drinking song, but I guess that's beside the point.

I walk away from hearing that as a way to unify the division that is occurring around the country since the nomination of Obama as a presidential candidate. Although there is no direct connection between Obama and this singer, there certainly is a division that needs to be addressed. Maybe their each trying to address it in their own way. Whatever the case, it needs to be addressed.

And to the comments about people dying for the lyrics of that song are severely misguided. To say that would mean that they were dying for the beauty of war, or to fight for the sake of fighting, and to die for the sake of dying. I doubt anyone whose been in battle would agree with that. However, I've never been in combat so I couldn't tell you.

The boat ride wasn't fun for anybody but I think today we can all be glad it happened.

Yeah, but it was more fun for the captain drinking his wine or rum and eating his 3 course meal, or the company owner who was funding the atrocities from his London, Boston or New York house than for the guys chained to a rotting corpse in the pitch black dungeon of the ships.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
My 84 year old grandmother sings that song, this song is a part of American history get over it...I think some people here are shocked because they never knew it existed or their american history classes completely selectively omitted it but I really think that the way she did that was a little uncalled for though, it's like if you order a cheeseburger at miky d's and they keep giving you a big mac.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by phinubian]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

the only other thing ive seen more disgrasful is when the our national anthem was adopted by mexico. [edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

HAHAHAHA this is so funny!!!!! man you're really ignorant!! I've heard the Mexican national anthem and it isn't ours. That link you posted is the children of indigenous people from Mexico that cross the border to make a living in the US, they took OUR National Anthem and made it disgraceful.
I would blame the ignorance and lack of education of the indigenous people and their children. Also, I don't like those so called revolutionary groups that "fight" the US in the name of Mexico. Trust me, people in Mexico careless for them and don't even know about it.

PS. You should travel a little you'll learn more about the world other than the internet.
PS2. Books work too!!

[edit on 7/3/2008 by jamiros]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think it is disrespectful what she did...if she did this in my fathers country (Iran) she would have been stoned to death...

I am Iranian and served in the US Marines after high school and I am very proud of our national anthem, this version has no place being used instead of our original one.

It makes me
, but then again I am not a pacafist liberal excepting of all things...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Jesus, I can't believe I joined to respond at this completely ignorant and bigoted forum. What an utter waste of time, but I waste it for you.

For starters read your forking history:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...(song)

en.wikipedia.org... (noticed our anthem's set to the tune of a British drinking song)

My point is America has a slew of views and history. But while we're on the topic of ignorance, I think the reason america's going down the drain is quite evident...

Give me a few months to say I told you so.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
neformore, you may be a moderator but I find your posts painfully biased towards Obama.

Instead of the spin of this thread towards being racially motivated, what pisses me off about this is someone took it upon themselves to replace the national anthem with their own musical piece. It shows a lot of disrespect for our country.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
You know what is so disgracefull? It's American history, and how African slaves were piled up like fish in the hull of a boat and transported to North America where more than half died as a result of living in filth like excrument and barf...so that the economy could flurish....god man pull your head out!

You know what else is disgraceful? Blaming white people today who had nothing to do with that horrible course of events back then, white people today who are not riacially biased, for the sins of their distant ancestors. It happened a long time ago. Get over it!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join