It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

how do you make people want to learn? and what's getting in the way?

I thought thats why we hve the homeless. Not to mention ditch diggers, the guys who spread hot tar on roof's etc. To show exactly what happens when you dont get an education.

Not necessarily true.

My father has a Bachelor's Degree, yet when he was laid off a few years back, he had to get a job with the State Department of Transportation, where he has to shovel asphault, dig ditches, pave roads, traffic flagger, etc..

Not everything is based off education, but moreso what jobs are hiring and what jobs arent. Yes, education plays a big role in job selection, but in the economic times we face today, you're lucky to find a job...period.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by astrocreep

I won't label you. You have a valid point the video on the 1st page echoes your sentiment and I must admit that I do witness this phenomena in my daily life.

The posters from the UK seem to be agreeing with you as well. I remember my pops a product of the great depression told me once that the people who should be having children do not and the people who should not have children do so in great numbers.

So astrocreep what is you solution are you recommending "consequences" for the folks who seem to have a devil may care attitude towards reproduction??? towards family????

I still believe if people are given knowledge they will make the correct choice.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

you misunderstand -

freedom of speech? my very favorite thing

something I would fight to protect - or die trying

without it we are nothing

but what you just mentioned - about a free press being a private entity - and it's being protected - that's just it - it is an entity

what prompted my reply was this:

it is the responsibility of the mainstream media to help the public make informed decisions...they are failing miserably!!

a free press - we couldn't have what we have - any of it - without it

but - there are no guarantees in that

whatever form the media may take, whether privately owned, publicly owned - or state owned - it is our responsibility, we the people - to seek information - and determine for our selves what it means

my issue isn't that it isn't important - it's that they are under no obligation to report the truth - or provide us with anything even remotely educational

they can say what we want to hear

or what someone else wants us to hear

it's pretty easy to see that the market determines what they will sell

so faulting the media for not providing us with better information won't work

it's up to the public to think - it's about personal responsibility - to maintain our freedom

and I should mention - I realize you didn't mean that ignorance is the same thing as stupidity

and I actually agree with most everything you said - but semantics being what they are - the word stupid is pejorative - it raises peoples hackles - and implies a less than egalitarian point of view

which is an example of your point - concerning propaganda - words can be used any way you want - to achieve any result you want

an an informed public is the best we could hope for - I absolutely agree with you on that

and about something being "different" now - it's hard for me to put into words - but
ignorance seems to be a conscious choice lately - and I have no explanation for it

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by astrocreep

we could philosophize all day, but that is the pragmatic way of looking at the situation

and to the point

but if we all agree on that - the only solution I see that won't start riots in the street would require time, redirecting where and how we spend our money - and ironically - education

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I really do not believe that there is a quick fix. I think at this point, things will have to run their course and we'll see...well some will see how things settle out. My prediction can only be the educated guess to which I have been privy. Larger cities with a high population of inner city thugs will become slums over populated with scarcely educated gangsters while populations in rural areas will dwindle due to the cost of raising children. In my area alone, more well known for 10 to 12 kids per family historically, we are on our way to a 30% population reduction by 2030.

While some worry about over population, my area of the southeast US is more concerned with the availability of a viable work force to fuel any kind of economy. Like I said, most people having more than 2 kids in this area are on some sort of government program. The chances they will guide these kids to be responsible adults? Well, lets just say they're track record to date isn't the most optimistic for which we could hope. Most kids raised on this system see it as a right, a way of life and something (ooh here comes that word again) to which they are entitled. That is all well and good but it leaves one question. Who is going to pay the check?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights

Not necessarily true.

My father has a Bachelor's Degree, yet when he was laid off a few years back, he had to get a job with the State Department of Transportation, where he has to shovel asphault, dig ditches, pave roads, traffic flagger, etc..

Well you'd have to explain what he has a BD in, to really provide context. As to StateDOT, thats usually a damn good job in most places.

Not everything is based off education, but moreso what jobs are hiring and what jobs arent. Yes, education plays a big role in job selection, but in the economic times we face today, you're lucky to find a job...period.

Look I aint saying schooling is. I have a GED. I also have a series 7, Series 66, CRFC, and Im working on my CFP which ironically, will now require a BD in order to practise as a licesned CFP. And you know what? Any time I look for a job, I have no trouble finding one. The problem is you are confusing education with schooling. Schoolings isnt necessary, education is. I dont have schooling, but I have marketable skills that I have spent time devloping. That's education. I was recently looking to switch firms, and I had three offers in first week. If you've got an education, actual marketble skills, theres no trouble finding a job ever. well unless unemployment hits ridiculous figures like in france or germany or theres so much labor regulation that the risk/reward ratio to hire someone is too off balance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join