It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Your wife's ignorance doesn't prove anything.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Its not just the US, you should come to the UK. There's been an explosion of chavs as we call them (if you want to get an idea of what a chav is type chav scum into google). Kids getting pregnant to get social housing & benefits, kids going round in gangs, drinking, vandalising things, stealing cars etc, etc because their parents just don't care. This country is full of thick, rude, ignorant, lazy, horrible people, & I do think the tv has a lot of responsibility because it isolates people. Instead of meeting socially & talking people go home, pull on the curtains, & sit in front of the goggle box all night filling their heads with pointless soaps & other drivel.

In fact soaps have always baffled me - why do people want to sit their watching some fictional characters fictional life when they could easily have a real one for themselves?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I wouldn`t blast leo so fast here.
he probably means the whole world, but since he is from america
he is speaking to his FELLOW COUNTRYMEN .

its would be the same if I said
Common you dumb Canadians Wake Up..
I would be addressing my fellow countrymen.

we all are dumbed down... you can`t deny that... I don`t think.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
LIKE JUSTAMOMMA SAID "stupid is as stupid does" .
lets start with IQ 's . some of the dumbest people i have ever met have the supposed high IQ . your IQ doesn't make up for having zero common sense and mybigunit proved that with the comment about his wife . anyone with an IQ of 130 who knows all of the simpson character's but doesn't know the amendment's to the constitution has to make you wonder what IQ tests are based upon . imo anyone who doesn't have common sense is stupid by definition .
HERE'S HOW THIS THREAD NEEDS TO GO .
people of america are so dumb that i am going to post a link to
the amendments to the constitution so i dont have to be so embarrassed to be called an american .

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
lol, its a known fact , that USA is the dumbest nation on earth and its science is based on the intellect of foreigners(e.g. Atom bomb created on formulas Einstein(german jew) and Enrico Fermi(Italian physicist) under leadership of
J. Robert Oppenheimer, in fact more intellect in the bomb was of foreigners .)

Silicion Valley consists of Indian software engineers and USA jobs ,thanks to laziness of americans are being outsourced to China and India

so the moral of the story , is that you reap what you sow

USA was based on stealing and genocide , now its wealth is being shipped away and soon once USA becomes a third world country , riots and murders and govt genocide will happen

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Despite the amusing nature of threads where Americans call other Americans idiots, stupid ( and worse) i would like to point out that people, yes even Americans, are by no means generally more ignorant than people were fifty years ago or even a hundred years ago. At worse people are more MISINFORMED, or ignorant of certain areas of learning, but the general pool of knowledge a given person has always been growing hence all the improvements in your lives and world in general.

Stellar

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Actually if you have taken an IQ test before (Im 135) it actually is common sense type questions. Thats really all it is...how you compute and or process information that is in front of you. Its more a fact of like you said people are misinformed and most times not informed at all. So to keep people from looking things up themselves and doing some self education the government set up the entertainment industry to keep people at bay with people like Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears. Then they keep us divided Napoleon style with inciting racial wars and class wars between us. These power that be are not stupid and I blame the past couple generations for letting their kids fall into this government trap. People will wake up though but it wont be till its to late and then all of a sudden people like Ron Paul wont look like that much of a nut anymore.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

What divides humans form humans in the 21 centry! Well we like to imagin that poor people must be stupid. And the rich must be smart.

We imagine that rich people screw and get smart kid. Poor people screw and get stupid kids. Now hove stupid is that lol.

Statistically poor people are stupider than rich people. I myself am smart and poor but "statistic is not the plural of anecdote". Think of the whole mass of persons, how can being stupid be irrelevant to not competing well in the money lunge? What quality (besides luck) could a stupid person have that would make up for the effects of learning slowly, being inattentive, and basing decisions on less information?
And as far as stupid people having stupid kids...intelligence is a heritable trait. The various studies of identical twins separated at birth reared in different environments have not supported the "it's the child's environment, not its genetics" point of view. There is such a thing as "regression to the mean", having to do with how exceptional things tend to fall back toward the normal, so if the parents are exceptionally smart, or exceptionally stupid, or exceptionally tall, their offspring may end up as less dramatically (polka-dotted or whatever quality), but that's not the same as no heritability or going all the way to the opposite end of the bell curve. So particularly stupid parents can have a kid that's normal, and genius parents can have a kid that's only above average, just within the particular mix of the combination of the parental genes in the offspring...but overall, ultimately, smarter people make smarter offspring in the aggregate.
I feel inept, making these points that are so obvious...I don't see how people can seriously maintain otherwise, except by saying "That's not fair!" and thinking with their feelings...And it's a credit to them that they have nice feelings, and that the cruelty of life might tend to affect their enjoyment, but that don't give them the right to hand me a scorpion and tell me it's a fish...they can pretend, but I don't have to pretend on with them...

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
There does seem to be a lot of these sorts of "Wow, Americans are so stupid!" threads, but then I guess the situation isn't improving so why would the threads and articles spawning them disappear?

No, I'm not surprised that more people could name the Simpsons characters. But the Simpsons are on every day and people can just veg out while watching. The Constitution actually takes effort to read. But the important thing is that I don't think people today are any more ignorant than previous generations; there are just more ways to broadcast this ignorance.

Think about society in 1908. There is no way that most of society was more informed than most of society is today.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

dude i just completed one of those IQ tests guessed at all of the questions and it only took me 5 minutes to complete , and guess what ,,, a 132 is what i scored . so that goes to show you that those iq tests are a joke .

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Why should the media be responsible for educating us? Just how much power do you want these people to have?

We have freedom of speech, and we are fortunate to have a free press - and a free press can be a great resource

though I realize we could have a hundred different debates about how free our press really is or isn't

but when did it become their actual responsibility to keep us apprised of anything? let alone educated?

ignorance is not the same thing as stupidity

apathy is not the same thing as stupidity

education is not the same thing as intelligence - it doesn't create intelligence - it doesn't sustain intelligence

what we consider to be an education is both subjective and relative

we can get angry at all the stupid, stupid people for not knowing what we think they should know, but people tend to learn and retain the information that's interesting or necessary to them - demand of them what we will

when people are at their best - their intelligence tends to rise to the occasion

necessity is not just the mother of invention

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Despite the amusing nature of threads where Americans call other Americans idiots, stupid ( and worse) i would like to point out that people, yes even Americans, are by no means generally more ignorant than people were fifty years ago or even a hundred years ago. At worse people are more MISINFORMED, or ignorant of certain areas of learning, but the general pool of knowledge a given person has always been growing hence all the improvements in your lives and world in general.

Before the war with Iraq, only a fraction of the US populace was familiar with its geographical location. I find it highly unusual for a group of people to consent to a major war with an enemy they can't be bothered to even even locate. In view of this, I disagree with your argument.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

we had the option to give or not give our consent? I must've been sick that day

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is why our freedoms are taken away so easily. If the masses are not aware of the freedoms they have, it is essentially like they do not have them at all. And how can you lose something that you never had to begin with?

Americans are not aware of their own freedoms, nor do they use them. Especially in a time of war. They fear social banishment and being accused of not being a true patriot, so they do not exercise their freedoms.

Those of us that are aware of our freedoms need to use them. All of them. And when they get taken away, continue to use them.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Number one. What was just described by the OP was a test of Knowledge, not intelligence.
2) since we are simply accepting any survey as tru, then I guess Britons are dumber than Americans.

One in 10 Britons cannot name a single world leader but can list up to five characters in television soap opera EastEnders, a survey suggests.

When asked to name a national leader, 11% failed to come up with an answer - including the name of UK Prime Minister Tony Blair.

But only a quarter could identify Iraqi President Saddam Hussein - in spite of the fact he currently featured daily in news programmes and newspapers.

Almost as many people - 42% - could not name even one member of the British Cabinet.

Source

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Of course Americans grow more ignorant. Those who study demographics have been warning us of this for some time. The children born unto non-skilled parents out number children born unto skilled parents nearly 10 to 1. What else would we expect? The indoctrinating public school system to interupt their teaching of what is socially acceptable to teach kids how to read and write?

Fact is, we've had several prominant scientist including the Nobel Prize winner who discovered the sequence for DNA tell us that this is happening at an alarming rate. I attended our state's census data user's conference a few years ago and it was the main topic. Our bigger cities are at the bottom as far as educational growth is concerned and they went as far to term California as New Appalachia...which kinda offended me since I am Appalachian American. But I kinda like being offended every now and again. Lets me know people still care.

Folks, what we may getting back to is education for those who value it. Not by choice of the system but of those who need educating. There was a time when only those who prized it most and were affluent were handed the collection of all our ancient knowledge. It is a noble quest to attempt to give all children that chance...and I for one am Damn Glad I got in on it...but, when we have to drag kids to school and beg them to learn the knowledge that so many have prized in the past, where have we left to turn?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by astrocreep

It is a noble quest to attempt to give all children that chance...and I for one am Damn Glad I got in on it...but, when we have to drag kids to school and beg them to learn the knowledge that so many have prized in the past, where have we left to turn?

that's good

I'm thankful for my education too - but a lot more appreciative now then when I was a kid

how do you make people want to learn? and what's getting in the way?

knowledge is a gift - so far it's still a right - but just because it's available doesn't mean it's desirable

why has that changed?

it's easy to blame TV and popular culture - maybe too easy

there's something different going on- something has changed

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Why should the media be responsible for educating us? Just how much power do you want these people to have?

We have freedom of speech, and we are fortunate to have a free press - and a free press can be a great resource

though I realize we could have a hundred different debates about how free our press really is or isn't

but when did it become their actual responsibility to keep us apprised of anything? let alone educated?

ignorance is not the same thing as stupidity

apathy is not the same thing as stupidity

education is not the same thing as intelligence - it doesn't create intelligence - it doesn't sustain intelligence

what we consider to be an education is both subjective and relative

we can get angry at all the stupid, stupid people for not knowing what we think they should know, but people tend to learn and retain the information that's interesting or necessary to them - demand of them what we will

when people are at their best - their intelligence tends to rise to the occasion

necessity is not just the mother of invention

The press is the only private business entity which is protected specifically by an ammendment to the constitution. That should tell you just how important our forefathers viewed an free independant press that can grapple with ideas and arguments in an open manner without fear of retribution.

From Wiki:

During the American Revolution, a free press was identified by Revolutionary leaders as one of the elements of liberty that they sought to preserve. The Virginia Declaration of Rights (1776) proclaimed that "the freedom of the press is one of the greatest bulwarks of liberty and can never be restrained but by despotic governments." Similarly, the Constitution of Massachusetts (1780) declared, "The liberty of the press is essential to the security of freedom in a state: it ought not, therefore, to be restrained in this commonwealth." Following these examples, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution restricted Congress from abridging the freedom of the press and the closely associated freedom of speech.

John Locke’s ideas had inspired both the French and American revolutions. Thomas Jefferson wanted to unite the two streams of liberalism, the English and the French schools of thought. His goal was to create a government that would provide both security and opportunity for the individual. An active press was essential as a way of educating the population. In order to be able to work freely, the press must be free from control by the state. Jefferson was a person who himself suffered great calumnies of the press. Despite this, in his second inaugural address, he proclaimed that a government that could not stand up under criticism deserved to fall.

Jefferson said: "No experiment can be more interesting than that we are now trying, and which we trust will end in establishing the fact, that man may be governed by reason and truth. Our first object should therefore be, to leave open to him all avenues of the truth".

I don't equate ignorance and stupidity. In fact the motto of ATS is deny ignorance. Jefferson believed in progress and the enlightenment.

You complain that somehow our current situation is "different"...well it is different... that is the propaganda machine working on the populace. Did you know the Nazi's learned a great deal from Madison Ave etc it is well documented. George Orwell would be amazed!!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

how do you make people want to learn? and what's getting in the way?

I thought thats why we hve the homeless. Not to mention ditch diggers, the guys who spread hot tar on roof's etc. To show exactly what happens when you dont get an education.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

why has that changed?

it's easy to blame TV and popular culture - maybe too easy

there's something different going on- something has changed

Yes, something has and is still changing. One word. Demographics. Its as clear as the numbers from the census. A 10 to 1 ratio of offspring from non-skilled to skilled. The public education system cannot take up the slack.

The moral value barriers are being knocked down by television. The media skews deviate behavior to the level of acceptable by picking a few minor characteristics which may be appealing to some and circling the wagons around those to advance the acceptance. That's true enough but that's only a minor influence.

The simple fact is for every 10 children born unto those on the government dime, 1 child is being born to those who work to support that system. You don't need to win a Nobel prize to do that math. The answer? Well, the answer would begin by accepting reality however, we apply labels to those who try and spell it out and then blame the failure on the very system which cannot possibly function under such circumstances.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join